Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

I want the group's opinion on something. Was just walking out for coffee and a snack. There is treeline that runs straight up the middle of the property and splits 2 fields. I travel this line because it helps conceal me.  Anyway on the way out I noticed that there is a brand new hang on stand and set of sticks in a tree smack dab in the middle of the property. No contact information anywhere on it. I am the only one with permission to hunt here and the property is posted. What would you do?

32 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Since they were showing signs of rut yesterday , and with the temps I had high hopes for this morning ....Wrong . Weirdest season in 30 years on this spot .

Washing hunting clothes, and car, getting boat ready for storage , and starting a night trick , be back at it Sat , heck I might even bring a doe tag . 

I'm with you there, your in some prime area too. It's been a super odd week.

I want the group's opinion on something. Was just walking out for coffee and a snack. There is treeline that runs straight up the middle of the property and splits 2 fields. I travel this line because it helps conceal me.  Anyway on the way out I noticed that there is a brand new hang on stand and set of sticks in a tree smack dab in the middle of the property. No contact information anywhere on it. I am the only one with permission to hunt here and the property is posted. What would you do?
Confirm no one else gained permission first of all, then either put a note on it or take it down if that's what the land owner wants done. Some land owners just want a note on the stand but some will go the distance and have them arrested for trespassing.

Sent from my LGL58VL using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Confirmed that no one else has permission. Landowners suggest taking it down. I'd reach out to the person who placed it, but no contact info. The last thing I want is to have trespassers, or to have someone f with my car while I'm hunting because I removed their stand..

Warning......if your not able to hunt today DO NOT READ THIS.

In 7F bucks chasing does, bucks chasing bucks, got busted by a nice 8 pointer, just got down from stand for a quick drink of water and stretch my legs. Crazy damn day. Snort wheezing tree rubbing 8 point buck in brush at 10:30. He was chasing away a 4 pointer.  Then I rattled and grunted and he shows up half hour later out of the thickest stuff in trail.  I just turned to look and he was right there and caught my movement and was gone. 5 minutes later a doe to the other side.......yeah it's been a crazy day.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I would take the sticks and the stand, and place a note in a sealed plastic bag saying he can pick the stuff up at the landowners place. Whether you take the stand down, or boot the guy yourself, you might have issues with the person. If the landowner does it, then the attention is off of you.

• Like 2

Well I ended the morning passing on a spindly goofy racked 5. Spike and brow on one side. Saw him rub the hell out of a sapling 5 yards from me. I really waffles on shooting him and in the end, the lack of pounding heart and having to think about it gave him more life to live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Shot a buck this morning..not good news. No bolt little blood until he hit the slashings...he looked ike he was about to go down then started moving toward nieghbors. Stopped again head down hen very slowly alked away...I quietly looked for bolt then left...gave it 21/2 hours and went to track up where he stopped he started spraying both sides..up trees this went on until he hit neighbors golden roI tracked just 5 ft in and backed out...went to nieghbors or here now and we talk a long while then I headed in in opposite direction glassing...I found a giant wee r 2 dead doe neigh or not happy she knows who shot it...they literally pitched a tent with stove on her back line..rather ticked about hat as well. I called deer seasch and I think lines off hook...this is a huge golden rod field with tons of trails as 2x's as many beds. ...none I found with blood..hes' dead..I just cant' find him took video of some trail. Oh bubbles in blood just slight quartering to 34 yrd shot..he was limping on opposite leg ..I'm upset..deer search unreachable.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, growalot said:

Shot a buck this morning..not good news. No bolt little blood until he hit the slashings...he looked ike he was about to go down then started moving toward nieghbors. Stopped again head down hen very slowly alked away...I quietly looked for bolt then left...gave it 21/2 hours and went to track up where he stopped he started spraying both sides..up trees this went on until he hit neighbors golden roI tracked just 5 ft in and backed out...went to nieghbors or here now and we talk a long while then I headed in in opposite direction glassing...I found a giant wee r 2 dead doe neigh or not happy she knows who shot it...they literally pitched a tent with stove on her back line..rather ticked about hat as well. I called deer seasch and I think lines off hook...this is a huge golden rod field with tons of trails as 2x's as many beds. ...none I found with blood..hes' dead..I just cant' find him took video of some trail. Oh bubbles in blood just slight quartering to 34 yrd shot..he was limping on opposite leg ..I'm upset..deer search unreachable.

Good luck. hope you find it. Was it the 8 you been after?

24 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

I would take the sticks and the stand, and place a note in a sealed plastic bag saying he can pick the stuff up at the landowners place. Whether you take the stand down, or boot the guy yourself, you might have issues with the person. If the landowner does it, then the attention is off of you.

Sounds like a good plan . Takes the onus off of Bolt Action ......

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Bolt action said:

need to confirm with property owner.

23 minutes ago, growalot said:

that sucks. i'm wondering maybe single lung that hit opposite shoulder and that's why no pass through. tracking in golden rod is almost like a needle hunt, and you're most likely not going to get a lot of blood to track and probably just need to resort to grid searching. Good thing is you have lots of daylight and no rain in sight.

curious about the distance and angle? 

Edited by Belo

18 minutes ago, growalot said:

Good luck Grow....we are pulling for you!

• Like 1

Hopefully deer search can help with the recovery. Stay positive!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Grow if it's your property or have permission I have had great luck finding dead deer in golden rod by driving the tractor around in it. You can see where you have been and get a bit of a birds eye view.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Grow if it's your property or have permission I have had great luck finding dead deer in golden rod by driving the tractor around in it. You can see where you have been and get a bit of a birds eye view.

very sound advice 

Sorry last post was on phone after I had been search and then went back to video blood trail... don't know how to get it to the computer..... any how I could barely see the screen... pretty bright out there

Thanks no not the big boy and I honestly can't say points... sun was rising and he came down at a fast clip..I grunted and he stopped behind the pines then came in angling towards me...I just saw the rack was at least out to his ears then I concentrated on putting the correct line on him for what I had previously ranged... I followed him and when he lifted his head and stopped I squeezed the trigger... he dropped and spun at the shot and I heard a click click clicking as he ran.. he stopped behind the pines and I thought he was down... so much blood I aimed behind the shoulder a little but not too low.  Well finally got them they gave me another number and I'm calling now...he has to be in that golden rod...Just left a message

• Like 1