Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

So question, I shoulder shot this doe.  She took off running on 3 legs and dragging her right front leg.  I had the opportunity to shoot her again at 30yds as she ran.   Do you shoot knowing the first shot was money?   Just curious.  

I was always keep shooting lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So this morning decided to hunt a piece of state property where I have killed a few deer from and normally doesn't get hunted because of the steepness.

It is very steep almost straight up and takes at least a half hr. to climb. Made it to the top huffing, puffing, and sweating pretty hard. Got about 50 yds. from where I normally sit and some guy starts whistling to let me know he was there. :angry:

Walked down the hill a ways to give him some room. Saw a black squirrel, a bunch of gray squirrels, geese a flying, and a gut pile.

Fifth day hunting and I haven't seen a deer. Good thing I don't take this gun hunting to serious.

Congrats to all of those that have scored. I will be sitting out the rest of the day eating, drinking, being merry, and watching football.

Hope everyone enjoys their day.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Dad is talking about going back out after he eats.hoping to get him on a deer.half tempted to bring the .22 out to take out a couple squirrels.just dont want to screw his hunt up.ill be on other side of property.any thoughts on that?

No squirrel 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, doebuck1234 said:

Dad is talking about going back out after he eats.hoping to get him on a deer.half tempted to bring the .22 out to take out a couple squirrels.just dont want to screw his hunt up.ill be on other side of property.any thoughts on that?

U might push the deer towards him depending on wind direction

We jumped 3 doe on walk out, no good shot opportunity. Walked the other small property and found a fresh gut pile just inside our property line, neighbors must have shot. Checked the guy pile which was small and had corn all over in it. Not a corn field by me for miles.

That's actually false, bullets are designed to perform in a certain FPS range, too low FPS and you won't get the proper expansion, too high FPS and either can happen, extreme/violent expansion or none at all. A lot has to do with what the bullet encounters also. Most instances in our "short range" woods Hunting most projectiles will work just fine. The "hole" the bullet leaves isn't always an indicator of the bullet expansion. Most bullets will not expand at 10yds like they do 100.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

These aren't lead bullets though. Yes you are correct most bullets will not preform the same at 10 like they do at 100, but these aren't normal bullets. They're 100 percent copper bullets so they do not expand as easily as a lead, but I believe they are designed to open the same way each time (until they get below a certain fps). I don't have pictures as I never thought to take them, but I have seen pretty much the same hole from both. Maybe it's slightly different, but It's sucks. Slight difference it's hard to see.

36 minutes ago, zag said:

We jumped 3 doe on walk out, no good shot opportunity. Walked the other small property and found a fresh gut pile just inside our property line, neighbors must have shot. Checked the guy pile which was small and had corn all over in it. Not a corn field by me for miles.

Is this near Ho$&es Rd propert?

If so, the guy way to the east has food plots of corn I believe......

My buddy and his wife that hunt that same Rd didn’t see beans the first day and a half there. 

9 minutes ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Went home for lunch and a change in shootin iron, this is my 22nd different gun I have carried this gun season and a pretty cool one with an awesome back story to it. The story is in the firearms section. 82f36ad563ba85a332955bcddd05f2d0.jpg

Maybe that old 44 will be lucky....good luck out there

• Like 1

I sat until 11. Around 10 I had a nice doe come within 15 yards but she just would not leave the thick stuff. Even without taking any deer I have been having a pretty good season. Probably the most deer I have ever seen between Bow and regular season. Eventually one of these deer are going to mess up and offer me a shot. 

• Like 2

dccb1dd62c2582069745ab24a6e16b3b.jpgExit. I was able to steady myself, take a deep breath and let it half way out...focus...focus...focus... and make this shot at nine yards. There’s eight, maybe ten guys in the world that could’ve made that shot. And don’t even act like you’re not impressed with this field dressing ingenuity!b3485a9a4715833e876f4c5c61dbee94.jpg0780c10400f65940518ae66c90fbb120.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

dccb1dd62c2582069745ab24a6e16b3b.jpg&key=1b29827f5fb941d098042f1558db666d9f2291de0be09f2961f925172da81c2fExit. I was able to steady myself, take a deep breath and let it half way out...focus...focus...focus... and make this shot at nine yards. There’s eight, maybe ten guys in the world that could’ve made that shot. And don’t even act like you’re not impressed with this field dressing ingenuity!b3485a9a4715833e876f4c5c61dbee94.jpg&key=7909f708805810e39d42af40bb158e472d7069f58b4a96e83a20067b9129d5c90780c10400f65940518ae66c90fbb120.jpg&key=95dd29d5baf8b84f453d239c65ed663dc6ab3fa3e71ea0ef7aec8084cb27c36e

must have been a weatherby

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

dccb1dd62c2582069745ab24a6e16b3b.jpgExit. I was able to steady myself, take a deep breath and let it half way out...focus...focus...focus... and make this shot at nine yards. There’s eight, maybe ten guys in the world that could’ve made that shot. And don’t even act like you’re not impressed with this field dressing ingenuity!b3485a9a4715833e876f4c5c61dbee94.jpg0780c10400f65940518ae66c90fbb120.jpg

I know I'm quite impressed!  Nice job!  Way to go Tacks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lawdwaz said:

Is this near Ho$&es Rd propert?

If so, the guy way to the east has food plots of corn I believe......

My buddy and his wife that hunt that same Rd didn’t see beans the first day and a half there. 

No it was on the lucken side. This whole seasons been bizarre. My son and I did some walking after our sit this am and barely cut a track in the snow. Checked the T cams and they just confirm it's a ghost town. Happy Thanksgiving

Edited by zag

During lunch I saw a spike out by my bow stand at the in laws. Fast forward a few hours and here I am in said bowstand. It feels deery out here. Never got one on Thanksgiving so hoping to start a new tradition.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Got in stand early because I knew it would be loud, neighbors shot at 6:01 in the pitch dark. Toting some old iron this morning for a sit at the crick stand. 34c8e8d8f1ae0411a3f98851b227d5fb.jpg

I got one of those what caliber mine is 35 rem

• Like 1