What's the coolest thing you found in the woods?

helmut in the bush

I once found a type of weather type balloon about 12 miles in off any roadway in Hamilton County.

The balloon part was pretty shredded and it was attached to a Styrofoam box that held a battery and some electronics. The markings could not be read, but it was pretty cool and looked like it had been there several years before I found it.

Love these kind of threads. Unfortunately besides skulls/skeletons I can't claim to have ever found anything cool or odd.

Not really "found", but on a neighboring property that I used to hunt years ago, there is an old hearse in the woods. Probably late 50's or early 60's. I hunted out of it once on a drizzly day.

• Like 2

I would not use the term coolest thing, "significant" probably fits better. I posted here about it previously. My brother, a friend and myself were hunting Snow Shoe Hare in the early winter in 1973 with not much snow on the ground. We found the shallow grave of a woman named Linda Cady and her young daughter.

Al

http://megpostol.tumblr.com/post/97258945230/the-grisly-history-of-the-steuben-hills

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I should add that I haven't moved it since I found it. I left it there as a marker if something were later discovered. When we bought our house it had been vacant for over a year. It had pot plants growing in a couple areas and some odd things found in the garage and in the house insulation when we did our remodel. The woods were littered with old cleaning material jugs, reptile aquarium, couple areas where the earth had been excavated by hand just behind the house. Just a lot of odd things.

My guess is people knew it was vacant and used the property to grow pot and cook meth. There was a small cabin on the neighbors property up on the hill with some camp stove and stuff in it and the neighbors house is vacant.

Edited by chas0218

i can't remember the site. maybe at or another of the national sites that has a very long thread like this. Some amazing stories. A lot of pot farms and boddies, but also some spooky and neat stuff. There's a great story on a mississippi site that is probably fake but was told really well about an old house where some guys hunted. one day they saw people moving inside and talked and visited with the old couple. story goes the guy mentioned it to someone else who got all pale and white. telling him that the couple died decades ago in a fire. they went back and sure enough the inside was all rotted and old. the guy swore on a bible that it was true. man i still think about that when i see those old abandoned farm houses or migrant shacks near where i hunt sometimes

yup lets make it more creepy.  Was hiking out in eaton on state land and found an empty baby stroller...... not cool.  

Good - things - found a horseshoe while i was hunting and have killed 3 deer right close to that spot.  

One time in lewis county on otter creek - in eatonville - found 3 topless co-eds laying on a rock by the river :heat:  I was 13 or 14 and think thats one of the reasons I liked walking the troutstream so much!  And they werent all that shy about it either.  They waived like I was their neighbor walking the dog.  lol 

• Like 4

A few off the top of my head.

An old "Western Flyer" tandom bicycle.(good restorable condition)

Vintage metal "wildlife management area"/no trespassing sign

Rare old  glass bottles and insulators

An old clay pickle crock wedged between two trees,lol

A handful of geocaches

Countless arrows and broadheads

An solid old steel toy pistol.(before they made them look and feel like toys) Very real looking.

Two weather balloon radiosondes in a two mile area.

Backwoods pet cemeteries with headstones.

A full 30 pack of Bud on an old 3 wheeled wooden wagon.

Antlers and skulls(should have started my list with this the coolest IMO)

I used to keep pictures of all my odd, old relic finds but they got lost to Photobucket. I know I'm forgetting a BUNCH!

Hell, one time I got lost and walked right into a deer farm full of piebalds in the middle of the woods!

Edited by wooly
  • Like 4

One place in Wyoming county I found a 1950's Mercury... It was so far gone I couldnt identify the model.  Another place, an antique tractor seat.

In one place in Chautauqua co. I found a chevy Corvair with trees growing up through it and in another place I found an old 1930's school bus totally complete minus the carb.  

2 hours ago, Bill Schmidt said:

I have found a number of old  Milk crates in open hardwoods. Some of the owners may not be alive anymore-- but probably took some turkeys in that spot.

They were mine!!! Hope you didn't move them! I think I've logged more hours on a milk crate than anyone I know!

I found an old knife near a fishing hole when I was very young ( I lost a nicer one later on so that didn't go well ).  Ive found a few old antique bottles still in good condition.  I found a pretty decent coleman saw a few years ago while shed hunting. I would say the coolest thing would be the matching set of sheds I found last year. That was pretty cool.

• Like 2