2018 Quebec Spring Bear Hunt

moog5050

So one of the fine members on here invited me to join him on a spring bear hunt in the province of Quebec.  We head out on Friday for a week.  Not sure he wants me to post (so I won't mention him by name - Culver Creek) but I will try to add updates (signal permitting) on how we fair.  Should be fun.  I have never seen a bear in the wild let alone tried to target one so the experience alone should be a blast and I know I am going with a quality group of guys.  As I look at bear photos on this site with weight estimates, its clear that I may have a tough time gauging what is a shooter.  It would be nice if one so big stopped by that there is no question.  lol  Thanks for the invite and opportunity Mr. Nameless!

• Like 15

Two great guys, going on a spring bear hunt in Quebec.......awesome!!!!!

Really looking forward to reading the updates and seeing the pic's on this one! 

I've never killed a bear. But we do have a population of them here, where I hunt.  Having seen them many, many times, in the wild. You will KNOW, when you see a BIG bear!

What will be your weapon of choice moog? Recurve, compound, or rifle???  I think I know where your heart is on this?

Safe travels my friends! Wishing both of you the best of luck!!!  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

thats awesome!  best of luck - have tried a few times for NY bear and no luck.  Sounds like a great trip!  cant wait for the updates.  Are you using the traditional bow or gonna take one out with an Atlas stone or just wrastle one down?  lol 

Shooting the trad bow well so it is going and already registered with customs and border patrol.  I will likely start with that and if things don't work out after three or four days, move to rifle.  Wrastling will be an emergency back up plan only!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, steve863 said:

Any trip Culver has planned out should be top notch!  Good luck to both of you.

This is just my opinion, but I would think any bear could be considered a shooter on ones first bear hunt.

Steve

I tend to agree and if its of reasonable size, I probably will release an arrow or pull the trigger.  I just don't want to shoot one that is a cub.  lol  Killing one or not, it will be a great experience.  Heck, sampling Culver's home made venison bologna is worth the price of admission.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Hunting from stands or from the ground?   

Cause as someone said here on this forum about JMP 209, " killing a bear with a traditional bow from the ground gives you a lifetime man card"  (something like that anyway)

Baited Hunt.  Some sites are stands and some blinds.   Tough to shoot a long trad bow from most blinds though.   Not sure if these are man made or natural blinds.  My wife holds my man card for safekeeping in any event.   

• Like 1

Luck to you Brian, Bob and all others in tow. 

Yea, don’t shoot a dink. BTDT.  He did look HUGE next to the barrel and I poked him sooo fast with the .280 you wouldn’t believe it.  I climbed down and found him 50-60 yards back in the bush. Man was I excited!! (Until I figured out I could load him on the 4 wheeler alone). 160lbs of pure fighting fury. :)

Have a great & safe hunt guys!!

1 hour ago, Lawdwaz said:

Luck to you Brian, Bob and all others in tow. 

Yea, don’t shoot a dink. BTDT.  He did look HUGE next to the barrel and I poked him sooo fast with the .280 you wouldn’t believe it.  I climbed down and found him 50-60 yards back in the bush. Man was I excited!! (Until I figured out I could load him on the 4 wheeler alone). 160lbs of pure fighting fury. :)

Have a great & safe hunt guys!!

Very Excited to go and very glad Brian was able to come along. It will be a great time. I wish I had the time to get tuned up, taking one with a recurve would be a trip. There is one other guy bringing a compound bow. The rest of us are burning powder. We will be Pike and lake trout fishing  (for the fish fries) and walleye and small mouth for the fun. They are in shallow because the ice just went off the lake last week. Highs will be in low 70's and 40's at night. Should be perfect weather but maybe a bit rainy on Saturday.  I have only done fall bear hunts but from what I understand their sizes are really down from Fall weights buy as much as a third. So a fall 300# bear could come out of hibernation at a little over 200. I have never broken the 250 mark on any of the bears i have taken. Should be interesting. Last spring they took two that were over 350 spring weight. There is no mistaking a bear of that size. 

This is the first week the outfitter runs hunts for the spring season and since there are 8 of us we have the entire bear hunting set up to ourselves. 

• Like 6

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

So one of the fine members on here invited me to join him on a spring bear hunt in the province of Quebec.  We head out on Friday for a week.  Not sure he wants me to post (so I won't mention him by name - Culver Creek) but I will try to add updates (signal permitting) on how we fair.  Should be fun.  I have never seen a bear in the wild let alone tried to target one so the experience alone should be a blast and I know I am going with a quality group of guys.  As I look at bear photos on this site with weight estimates, its clear that I may have a tough time gauging what is a shooter.  It would be nice if one so big stopped by that there is no question.  lol  Thanks for the invite and opportunity Mr. Nameless!

if I get mine early and you are still carrying your recurve, I am bringing my phone and my gopro. Let's see if I can get your bow kill recorded. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Culvercreek hunt club said:

We will be Pike and lake trout fishing  (for the fish fries) and walleye and small mouth for the fun. They are in shallow because the ice just went off the lake last week.

Early ice out fishing worth the trip. Anyone in group wants to try for whopper pike especially on a flyrod this is time. Been twice up in Quebec at ice out and killed em'.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Thx all!  Definitely bringing extra thermacell refills!

Check elevation. I know thermacell has warning it may not ignite over 4500 feet above sea level. Just a thought and bugs could ruin a good hunt. May have to resort to good old fashioned stinky Off 

I did a fall Quebec Moose/Bear trip a long time ago.  The licences we bought included "other species".   One of those on the list was porcupines.   There were (6) of us on that one week trip and each evening we took turns watching the dump at night.   One of the experienced guys said that if the bear is above the second rung of the bait barrel, while on all four feet, then it is a shooter.   No one saw any all week and I had the watch on the last night.   They all heard my shot ring out, as they were sitting around the table playing cards.  As I dragged the carcass back to cabin, they were all out on the front porch in anticipation.  I heard one of them say:  "He must have shot a cub".  I told them that what I thought was a 55 gallon bait barrel, with a huge bear towering over it, turned out to be a Folgers coffee can and a fat porky.   

We did a little pike and walleye fishing on that trip and the walleyes tasted the same as the ones I have caught in NY.  No one saw any moose or bears, thru the week.  The thing I remember the most, was how itchy my hair (I had a lot more then) got after so many days without a shower.  Eventually, I walked out to the end of the dock with a bar of soap and lathered it up.  I will never forget the "numb" feeling of sticking my head under that 35 degree water.   If they don't have hot running water up there, I would recommend taking some of that "dry-rinse" shampoo that they make these days.   Also, I have heard that bears under 200 pounds are good eating, but those over, not so much.  The bigger ones make nicer rugs though.   Either way, it sounds like a fun trip and I wish you the best of luck on it.    

• Like 1