Off Topic - Other hobbies besides hunting? I build, fly and race drones.

burmjohn

So what other hobbies do you guys have besides hunting?  I don't have the luxury of living "upstate" in the woods (even though I wish I could).  I think my hobbies would be slightly different if I did.  Anyways, besides spending as much time as I can at our property upstate, real life gets in the way all the time.  I've been building, flying and racing drones for well over a year now, it is a blast.   It is an expensive hobby, but its to much fun to explain, it satisfies the geek and adrenaline junkie in me.  The drones / quads are from FPV (First Person View) meaning you wear goggles, its as if you are sitting on the thing.  

Few pics / vids:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I collect yardsticks and fingernail clippings of famous people ...... JK 

Go to the gym most days, boat , used to waterski a lot, enjoy shooting on my range , I’m kinda into knives, but been unloading many and not buying new ones .

Thinking about carving Opinal knife handles, and making ones from antlers .

May buy an RV Monday .... it’s a small used one that has the rare features we’re looking for as well. 

20140613_182937.thumb.jpg.b027d90dca6b5a142838373bd93f9990.jpgGuitars and playing music. Been doing it on and off since my teens.

The drones look really cool John! That would be much more expensive for me, with all the crashing I'd be doing! You ever use your drones for getting pic's and video from above, of your hunting area? I could see that being useful as far as marking stand sites, and recent deer sightings, along with freshly dicovered deer sign. 

• Like 4

Camping, hiking, fishing, using the smoker.... Just about anything that gets me outside. Used to snowboard all winter, been a few years since I went though.

Indoors... Playing a video game here and there, watching horror movies, creating 3D/CGI art on the computer.

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

20140613_182937.thumb.jpg.b027d90dca6b5a142838373bd93f9990.jpgGuitars and playing music. Been doing it on and off since my teens.
The drones look really cool John! That would be much more expensive for me, with all the crashing I'd be doing! You ever use your drones for getting pic's and video from above, of your hunting area? I could see that being useful as far as marking stand sites, and recent deer sightings, along with freshly dicovered deer sign. 

I think I remember reading this about Grampy but somehow today (maybe after reading about his hunter ed class) this dude is standing out as the real deal huh?!?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Wife and I enjoy riding our atvs, i reload for 8 different calibers , we love shooting our self defense and our hunting revolvers , Archery / 3-d  shoots . But having said all that  I really haven’t  had time for  any of those  lately, my only hobbie this year has been remolding our house, I should have my major projects finished up in the next few weekends though. Then it’s nothing but bow and firearms hunting .. 

Edited by rob-c
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Flintknapping is something I’d like to,try sometime ! Seems like the learning curve would be frustrating though .

Theres a flintknapping get together out south of you every year supposed to be pretty good hands on help. 

I have an Uncle that was teaching a college course in knapping in Ohio for many years and writes for a bunch of magazines. I have some cool items he has given me over the years. Makes knapped obsidian surgical instruments for an eye doctor as a side gig.

I like to tinker with metal working a bit, make a few knives as of late, do some maple syrup, have raised beef/cow/calf pairs/ pigs/goats/ chickens. Fish a bit here and there. Hunting and related keeps me busy.