Problem with Raccoons

Ford

4 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

wow you lucky not to be in the city. Here in queens racoons like trees have rights. I called 311 [ aka the rat line] cause my cat got bite by a racoon and his face was all puffed up and the vet had $ signs in her eyes and hit me for $800 and told them about the racoons. I mean my wife almost got bit putting out the garbage cans out . Now city employees are well known to be courteous and totally  professional:wink: and the woman[ I was going to use another word but I cant say that here] and she screamed DO NOT HARM  racoons they are wildlife and are protected and you will be heavily fined.She used their favorite catch phrase what you need to do is call a exterminator  $$$$$ or get hav-a-heart traps and gently release them to the wild.

how do you deal with the rats, seems like they made their way here

4 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

wow you lucky not to be in the city. Here in queens racoons like trees have rights. I called 311 [ aka the rat line] cause my cat got bite by a racoon and his face was all puffed up and the vet had $ signs in her eyes and hit me for $800 and told them about the racoons. I mean my wife almost got bit putting out the garbage cans out . Now city employees are well known to be courteous and totally  professional:wink: and the woman[ I was going to use another word but I cant say that here] and she screamed DO NOT HARM  racoons they are wildlife and are protected and you will be heavily fined.She used their favorite catch phrase what you need to do is call a exterminator  $$$$$ or get hav-a-heart traps and gently release them to the wild.

Thats a lie. Spoke to a DEC agent and you are legally aloud to kill them if they are causing damage. Got rid of 3 this year, 3 last year and hoping to get at least 3 next year. I also live in queens 

10 minutes ago, tommyc50 said:

well dont advertise that and call 311 and see what answer you get 

And 311 is always coorect? Those people don't know their asses from their faces most of the time. If it is causeing damage you have the legal right to dipatch them. You actually arent allowed to move live animals, so you have to dipatch it. Confirmed by a DEC agent 3 weeks ago

• Like 1

My first suggestion would be sealing up anywhere the coons are getting in , including closing the garage door as others have stated. Or at the very least , closing the garage doors between dusk and dawn. Secondly , I would suggest getting 3 large havahart traps and put them separately inside of black plastic garbage bags where only the entrance is visible to the coons. Gang setting will give you the opportunity for multiple catches.You can usually find these traps on Craigslist for dirt cheap.Then cut a small opening where the handle is. Then add your bait in the back of the trap ( cat food , jack mackerel etc...). Then just simply set the trap where you think the coons are getting in . When you see the trap door is down , you probably have caught something...….maybe the neighbors cat. After you've made a catch , simply pick up the trap from the back where it can't see you. The black plastic has a calming effect on a trapped animal and usually will even prevent a skunk from spraying if your careful. Plus any urine or feces will stay in the black plastic bag. Then you can do what you want with it. Me personally , I would drive it a few miles away and release it in the woods (I've done it before).  If the D.E.C. wants to give me a fine , I'll pay it. I'm not going to kill something if I don't have to. As far as dispatching the coons , I would use a .22 short in it's ear. I personally wouldn't drown any animal. It's not painless nor humane.

• Like 2

I also have a problem with racoons in Brooklyn where once it gets sundown my kids and wife refuse to go out in the yard. Had 4 coons on my back patio over the weekend, that when my 10yr. Old son went out back they were looking in at him through the patio door and scared the living daylights out of him. I need to do something because the population is out of control. They also make a god awful sound at night when they fight and play with each other. Cant tell you how many times they wake me up in the middle of the night. They seem to think that me pool and deck are theirs to enjoy...lol...getting to the point may need to do something drastic. Had this been upstate nothing a 22 cant fix.

22 minutes ago, NYBowhunter said:

I also have a problem with racoons in Brooklyn where once it gets sundown my kids and wife refuse to go out in the yard. Had 4 coons on my back patio over the weekend, that when my 10yr. Old son went out back they were looking in at him through the patio door and scared the living daylights out of him. I need to do something because the population is out of control. They also make a god awful sound at night when they fight and play with each other. Cant tell you how many times they wake me up in the middle of the night. They seem to think that me pool and deck are theirs to enjoy...lol...getting to the point may need to do something drastic. Had this been upstate nothing a 22 cant fix.

I have 3 or 4 mulberry trees outside my bedroom window and the berries attract many raccoons mostly in the middle of the night... when they get to fighting, they sound like nothing I've ever heard before... the screeching and screaming sound is extremely violent sounding and will wake you up out of a dead sleep.  

I snapped a pic of this one sporting a jar stuck on his head... 5 or 6 days later I saw the jar laying in the driveway with no raccoon attached...

racoonjarhead.jpg

• Like 1

I took a wopper of a raccoon this morning, in a Duke dog-proof trap baited with cat food.  It might be the heaviest one I have ever taken - guessing 40-ish pounds.  Hopefully it is the one that escaped by busting the back hinges of a cheap Chinese box trap a few weeks ago. I got a picture of him before the burrying, on the rack behind my tractor.  Not sure how to post from my flip-phone.  That should save me quite a few bushels of corn this fall.   Dispatching them is a little tougher in those dog-proofs, it took me two shots to hit the brain.   

Edited by wolc123

I took a wopper of a raccoon this morning, in a Duke dog-proof trap baited with cat food.  It might be the heaviest one I have ever taken - guessing 40-ish pounds.  Hopefully it is the one that escaped by busting the back hinges of a cheap Chinese box trap a few weeks ago. I got a picture of him before the burrying, on the rack behind my tractor.  Not sure how to post from my flip-phone.  That should save me quite a few bushels of corn this fall.   Dispatching them is a little tougher in those dog-proofs, it took me two shots to hit the brain.   

40lb raccoon? Surely you took pics?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A 40 pound coon..??  Possible, I suppose, but I weighed quite a few years back when I was hunting and trapping them and the heaviest I recall weighed 30 pounds, and he was a big one...

I guess I would compare it to all of those 200 plus  ( dressed) bucks out there....There are a few genuine ones, but the great majority were weighed with the thumb and eyeball rather than a set of accurate scales..

I'm wondering about the wisdom of live trapping raccoons and letting them go just a few miles away.

I have read about bears that were live trapped and released 30 to 50 miles away- only to have them return in a few days.

A friend was live trapping a seemingly endless supply of squirrels at his house (they love his bird feeder) and releasing them in a patch of woods near his work. A distance of about 3 miles. He thought some of the released critters were returning so he sprayed orange paint on their tails prior to release. Sure enough, it only took the squirrels a couple days to make the return trip to his house.

I admittedly don't know much about live trapping racoons, but I suspect that catching them and only driving them a few miles to release them is a waste of time and money.

I'd imagine it'll be spraying well before you reached the pond.

I have trapped skunks in the hav-a-heart traps before, covered with a towel, PLACED IN MY EQUINOX; drove to some woods, and released them without even a sniff of skunk...trap is too small for them to raise their tails and spray.
Do they always stink when they die/aka stop paddling in 55 gallon bucket?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk