Where would you look for deer on this map ?

Hunter007

I've caught several bucks napping on benches on leeward and sunny sides of hills. It takes  a lot of skill to sneak up on them. It ain't hiking and hoping.

Even a young buck won't tolerate much stupidity from an intrusive hunter. An older buck you'll never see again. Ever.

Edited by philoshop

I would do like Moog5050 says and get up top that ridge and carefully still hunt it.  Then I would make my way down towards the swampy area's and look for pinch points and sign by number 1.  I would also check the South West area where it rises in elevation and go up top those hills and look for more sign and pinch points.  

Good luck, get the big one!

9 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

Might catch one swimming.  Don't exclude the blue.

One of the biggest-racked deer I've ever seen in my life was on Lake Ontario, about three miles out and he seemed to be headed towards Fair Haven. I paddled up with my kayak and said hello. There was no response.

• Like 1

I would drive up there get dressed and go looking for one/them being first time and get a fell for that area that I may want to hunt again.A good compass and a backpack with everything that may be needed for an over night stay in the woods.

I couldnt plan my trip from the given info. 

Where is north/ south? ( I am not going to guess that the top of the pic is north)

What type of trees are there where? where are the access areas? If I couldn't locate mast trees/ cleared areas, burnt over areas, new growth, potential active feeding areas, I would head elsewhere. This is homework that should have been done well before this stage. 

Where might any activity in the area come from? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Daveboone said:

I couldnt plan my trip from the given info. 

Where is north/ south? ( I am not going to guess that the top of the pic is north)

What type of trees are there where? where are the access areas? If I couldn't locate mast trees/ cleared areas, burnt over areas, new growth, potential active feeding areas, I would head elsewhere. This is homework that should have been done well before this stage. 

Where might any activity in the area come from? 

Agree here. 

Hills valleys funnels......find the food find the deer in the dacks.  I used to look for mast trees when scouting, or power lines where trees have been cut and opened up a bit, also used to like areas that had lots of blueberries.  Not that deer eat those but they love the bushes, and usually where there was blueberry bushes there was browse and open areas.  

Tough to just hunt off a Google map but it is a start.  Once out there look for some areas with some food. A lot of times can be done while driving in the area.  Apple trees are often but the road up there and a good place to start to find active deer trails. 

Good luck.

• Like 1