Rob...

When Do You Call It Too Cold To Hunt Small Game?

I love hunting small game, a squirrel or three for lunch  is awesome! But, when do you say "It's too cold to hunt small game!".

What's your temp cutoff for hunting bushy-tails or rabbits?

I love hunting small game, a squirrel or three for lunch  is awesome! But, when do you say "It's too cold to hunt small game!".

Never. Hunted negative 30’s In Minnesota and I hate the cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

1 minute ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Never. Hunted negative 30’s In Minnesota and I hate the cold.

For small game?

The last two sits were 25 and 35 degrees.not really cold but dont mind the cold.dont think it would stop me.the problem im having is i havent seen any sence the last week of gun season!the woods was loaded with rats and now its empty:negative:

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rob... said:

Gets colder I just put on more layers of clothes . Would not stop me , may make me cut it short if my feet start to.get cold though.

For small game?

Yes, bobcat

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

30 yrs ago I'd would have said "never too cold"... 

Now, sunny day, no wind, about 10*.   The stronger the wind, the higher the temp needs to be.  

Don't ice fish too often for the same reason.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

Yes, bobcat

I'm talking real small game, rabbits and tree rats..... I would sit in -40 for a shot at a bobcat right here in NYS.

Go out and don't worry about the temperature. Come out when ya get too cold. Even a short hunt is better than no hunt.

• Like 5

Once you get out there and move around you will enjoy and forget about the cold. 

As long as it's not windy anyway

• Like 3

If the temps get down into teens I just follow the cocker and keep moving. Staying warm by just hiking behind the dog and taking grouse. As far as squirrels sit till cold then still hunt a bit then sit some more.

• Like 1

Come to my house. You can stay in the bathroom and shoot all the tree rats you want with a BB gun. Nice and warm. Also, when you shoot 1, 2 more ashow up, shoot 2, 4 more will show up. Oh, and enjoy the Deer herd and 12 -16 roaming around together. Like a small Zoo here. 

• Like 1

The type of hunting methods used will have much to do when it comes to tolerating cold temps.  Like Deer hunting, if you are on stand sitting for long periods of time hunting for Squirrels in really cold temps you will have to bundle up and have good warm socks and boots on. I did a lot of Hare hunting behind Beagles throughout the winter, there is a lot of walking involved to get in position for a shot so you have your blood circulating and it is easier to stay warm. The same with Grouse and Pheasant, a lot of walking involved so it is easy to stay warm. Once the temps got below the mid teens I stayed home, not so much because of getting cold, the scenting conditions for the dogs were lousy and they could not move a track with consistency and most game is holed up sitting tight keeping warm. The right clothes and boots are the key to keeping you out there, I always favored Woolrich wool because it always kept me warm even when wet.

Al

Serious Dogs For Serious Work

The cold def keeps me from more small game hunting.  Get up in the morn - temp is 10 degrees .... go out and shoot a squirrel.....eh    Coffee is on, house is warm, maybe tomorrow..... eh

If the sun is out, we would go out regardless. Zero with the sun out and not much wind can still be a nice day, Zero with wind and snow...not so much. When we had a dog to run bunnies, they would stir up the action even in the coldest weather, but of course it isn't a good thing to keep them out very long.

• Like 1

If I think it's cold it's to cold to hunt anything

I've hunted almost everyday of my life.. the rest have been wasted!

For squirrels, you really don’t need to go out too far and deep to have success I’ve found so even is it’s very cold out, an hour or two out can usually yield decent results. Having said that, anything under 5 below maybe I’d stay home 

Was out Friday need for preds......10 degrees with very little wind was tolerable for the 2.5 hrs. We were out.....and like many have said better to be out for a short period of time vs. laying on the couch watching TV.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk