LIVE From The Woods 2019 - Lets hear stories and see some pictures!

fasteddie

Suburban hunting at its finest. Santa is making his rounds through the neighborhood on a fire engine, sirens blasting, etc. Not exactly the perfect setting, but you never know.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Where there’s Santa there are deer should be close!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, moog5050 said:

Using decoys or calls?  What brings the crows in?

They love venison.  I pick them off from a carcass pile, that is 100 yards from my bedroom window, with my Ruger 10/22.   Getting the windage and elevation right is a challenge but I average about 50/50 on the shots.    I have never killed one with a shotgun.   They sometimes land on just bones and hides, after the meat is all stripped away, but I try and freshen that pile with "roadkill" deer when I find one nearby.  That keeps up the daylight crow action, all winter long, in additional to some nighttime coyote and fox action.   Coyote carcasses seem to be the only ones that crows wont touch.          

1 hour ago, cdbing said:

Suburban hunting at its finest. Santa is making his rounds through the neighborhood on a fire engine, sirens blasting, etc. Not exactly the perfect setting, but you never know.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I hear reindeer make good eating.

• Like 1

Ok, boys. I’m heading in at 2:30pm with the bow.

3S - Public Land. 25 degrees. Sunset 4:29pm. No service there and I won’t be in a stand or blind, so can’t update anyway. Hopefully my next update is a bloody arrow! I’ll shoot any buck I see. Plan is to sneak into a spot I passed up a 3pt in early October and sit tucked in some rocks approx 20ft above a trail where deer walk. Shot distance would be 25-38yds. I’ll draw a few times on my way in to get it warmed up.

f5c2f54619ac056e8f1e55ba5d0d50e9.plist11c70b00b6fe3b94945db017b720beb1.jpg

Beauty of an afternoon. Only hunter On the property. But no deer seen

• Like 6

Settled into spot number two. This is my first time here in the afternoon. I’ve always seen deer here in the morning but my friend that lives here (also a hunter) says it’s a better afternoon spot. Here’s to hoping he’s right. This morning’s tally was 3 doe (1 at my house and 2 far off in the woods) plus lots of squirrels. It only takes 10 minutes in the right spot at the right time...hope this is it...hope it’s today!

Tried posting that at 1230 but had no service.

So here is what happened...So hungry from starting before dark n not bringing snacks, couldn’t wait for it to be 4pm so I could wrap up n go home to eat. Didn’t see anything but squirrels until 4:05 when 6 doe come crashing into the woods n stop near me. So I want to take the big one and she presents a shot at 35 yards. A bit farther than ideal but I been practicing out to 50. She needs to take one more step and she does. I send it. Looks great. Watching the luminock going right towards the right spot...then I see the arrow turn to the right and stick in a tree. SOB it deflected! $&@#%^*+=•!!! I waited all day for this shot and I missed. Didn’t see the damn twig. Major bummer. Not to mention I haven’t taken a deer yet this season. Still in the skunk club.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Settled into spot number two. This is my first time here in the afternoon. I’ve always seen deer here in the morning but my friend that lives here (also a hunter) says it’s a better afternoon spot. Here’s to hoping he’s right. This morning’s tally was 3 doe (1 at my house and 2 far off in the woods) plus lots of squirrels. It only takes 10 minutes in the right spot at the right time...hope this is it...hope it’s today!

So here is what happened...So hungry from starting before dark n not bringing snacks, couldn’t wait for it to be 4pm so I could wrap up n go home to eat. Didn’t see anything but squirrels until 4:05 when 6 doe come crashing into the woods n stop near me. So I want to take the big one and she presents a shot at 35 yards. A bit farther than ideal but I been practicing out to 50. She needs to take one more step and she does. I send it. Looks great. Watching the luminock going right towards the right spot...then I see the arrow turn to the right and stick in a tree. SOB it deflected! $&@#%^*+=•!!! I waited all day for this shot and I missed. Didn’t see the damn twig. Major bummer. Not to mention I haven’t taken a deer yet this season. Still in the skunk club.

Bummer, but you can take comfort in the act that it was a clean miss...It could have as easily have resulted in a bad hit and a lost deer...

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, squirrelwhisperer said:

Did any of the doe see you/get spooked? Going back to that same spot?

• Like 1

Did any of the doe see you/get spooked? Going back to that same spot?

They came into that area spooked. I think one had an idea I was there but not sure what I was. She was stomping and snorted but walked off slowly. I will def go back to the same spot. It’s been my experience that when a doe busts me, she returns, a buck usually won’t. Luckily (depending on how you look at it) there was no buck around at the time.

• Like 1

Bummer, but you can take comfort in the act that it was a clean miss...It could have as easily have resulted in a bad hit and a lost deer...

Glad she wasn’t injured. Woulda been much more of a bummer. I just couldn’t see that twig. It was literally 15 minutes before sunset and the light levels were dropping. I thought I had a clear shot. There is a mark on my fletching where it touched the twig. I’ll post a pic in a few. Reminds me of Maxwell Smart, “Missed by that much.”