Another anatomically incorrect log..

wooly

Finally got another full log back to the pit today and didn't waste any time making more sawdust!

Still quite a bit to remove from this one, and plenty of shaping left, but the hardest most critical part is over.

DSC_0164.thumb.JPG.6afcb0a84530473d30bcee08b68f108b.JPG

DSC_0166.thumb.JPG.052b1bd827d05cc109fb33260a1a4d10.JPG

DSC_0170.thumb.JPG.98c1db7458567695941a7e982901e790.JPG

DSC_0172.thumb.JPG.f9dd00e722a2fe1bea9be39a754efa10.JPG

DSC_0175.thumb.JPG.f95b3a57fe067aa8ed566bcb24ceb1dd.JPG

DSC_0180.thumb.JPG.637518c4d68ccc60262b01a6b85bb2e7.JPG

• Like 27

Dude, each carving gets better than the last one! Phenomenal is all I can say. Not sure of the proper name for what this chainsaw carving is, but you've mastered it! Oh yeah, not to mention some endorsement $$ from Stihl would be handy, huh... lol

Edited by nyslowhand
  • Like 5

The rack is way too big. Should have done a couple buttons and called it a day.

When it's done, we can throw it in my truck and I'll just make it disappear.

Since it's obvious you know how to work a camera.... Is it too much to ask for a time lapse video ? I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love to watch one ( or any and all of them )

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, TreeGuy said:

The rack is way too big. Should have done a couple buttons and called it a day.

When it's done, we can throw it in my truck and I'll just make it disappear.

Since it's obvious you know how to work a camera.... Is it too much to ask for a time lapse video ? I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in saying I'd love to watch one ( or any and all of them )

I'll look for a program that does the time lapse and see if I can't put something together.

Been meaning to do that for a while now. If all else fails I'll have to pick up a new trail cam that shoots time lapse for my carving pit,lol

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, wooly said:

I'll look for a program that does the time lapse and see if I can't put something together.

Been meaning to do that for a while now. If all else fails I'll have to pick up a new trail cam that shoots time lapse for my carving 

That would be awesome!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wooly said:

Been meaning to do that for a while now. If all else fails I'll have to pick up a new trail cam that shoots time lapse for my carving pit,lol

I’d love to see that!

• Like 1

I'd let you borrow the GoPro whenever !

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Buckmaster7600 said:

Amazing work! To hell with a video build some bleachers and charge a few bucks a beer and I’d pay 20$ to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're hired!

My new head of marketing director!:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

How did you clear out all the wood inbetween the antlers.   Very cool. 

I cut out a diamond shape straight through the front view with the 18" bar. That gives you a good start to working the curvature inside the antlers.

Then it's a delicate balance of removing a little bit at a time from each tine and beam and carefully shaping with the narrow carving bar. The carving saw will turn in the wood as it cuts if you don't try to take off too much in one bite.

The outside of the rack can be taken down in the same manner, but at this point I'll probably switch over to grinding and sanding wheels on the angle grinder so they don't accidently get snapped off with the saw if it catches a knot..

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, wooly said:

I cut out a diamond shape straight through the front view with the 18" bar. That gives you a good start to working the curvature inside the antlers.

Then it's a delicate balance of removing a little bit at a time from each tine and beam and carefully shaping with the narrow carving bar. The carving saw will turn in the wood as it cuts if you don't try to take off too much in one bite.

The outside of the rack can be taken down in the same manner, but at this point I'll probably switch over to grinding and sanding wheels on the angle grinder so they don't accidently get snapped off with the saw if it catches a knot..

Interesting , Cool I guess every  artist has his own way of doing things I have seen guys  do it with wood working  chisels and Dremel tools to do the fine detail work.  

• Like 1

Worked on giving the ol' stud a kid this morning and smoothing a few things out.

Just kinda decided on this on the fly once I got going since I really didn't have a plan on what to do if the buck head turned out alright.

DSC_0206.thumb.JPG.4601dbcc7ec51daad892805873b3d828.JPG

• Like 11