The Jerkman

LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

On my way home had a little buck chasing a doe across the road in front of me.  He almost got smacked he came so close to my truck. 

Breezy and 55 ,sit out for a bit. Already had a spike at 26 yards. Son kicked up 5 does on way in to his spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, 2012_taco said:

I apologize because this is not live form the woods, but my phone sucks and i haven't had access to the internet since Friday. I got very lucky yesterday in Chautauqua Co after not seeing a deer from the stand so far this year, I had 3 doe come in feeding on  hickory nuts about 8:30, I had shot yardage from several spots and the biggest doe walked right next to a tree that i knew was 37 yds. Broadside stops and puts her head down feeding so i took the shot.  It looked good but I'll be honest at that distance I couldn't see where or if i hit her? I waited an hour climbed down and started looking for my arrow, can't find it, i did get blood but only small drops and I could smell stomach! SOB, I had watched to see where she ran and it helped with the track but, only found small drops of blood and after 2 hours we called it because she went into some real thick stuff and I didn't want to jump her. We waited 6 hours and called Deer Search, guy came out and man that dog wasted no time. She covered what took us 2 hours to track in seconds. she went right into the thick stuff and in about 15 minutes we were standing next to a dead doe! I couldn't be happier! I know for a fact that I would never have found that deer w/o the dog! It looks like the doe must have jumped just as my arrow got to her as the entry hole is low but there's an exit hole higher and further forward on the opposite side. I cut the top of the liver and 1 lung after going through the stomach. Plus the arrow was still in her! it was only in her about 6" and pulled right out? I thought how is that possible? It looks like she must have tried to pull it out before she died?  The chew marks on her butt are from the dog! But he deserves a snack after a great days work!

that's a cool story and congrats! arrows can work their way out too as the deer runs and hits things. glad you recovered her and had the chance to try and figure it all out. I'll admit I'm still a little confused by your description of impact and exit haha.

Edited by Belo

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

I’m definitely not shooting a doe now , my buddy got it done on the last morning out West , 6x6 Elk . He eats like one deer a year, so I said I’ll take all he doesn’t want , I’ll pay my share for processing and shipping .

F81A9B52-4221-4949-AD8A-24BF4286C92F.jpeg

• Like 18

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’m definitely not shooting a doe now , my buddy got it done on the last morning out West , 6x6 Elk . He eats like one deer a year, so I said I’ll take all he doesn’t want , I’ll pay my share for processing and shipping .

Nice! 

• Like 1

Bigger bucks are starting to pay attention to does in my area of 9h....have a group of doe that visits the cut corn every morning and night. Yesterday evening a mature 2.5 8 or 9pt. That we have on cam throughout the fall showed his face in the field. He took notice and milled around eating but wasn't bumping the ladies around yet.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

• Like 5

4 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

This is the hardest part of the year in alot of ways.  You have to wait a whole nother 10 days for this lull to be over and that magical time of year to start.  Meanwhile your hindbrain is all "Just take some time off and get in the woods!"

the rain is a blessing really. I want to sneak out some afternoon but really it isn't worth it and when it's pouring it doesn't make me feel guilty.

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

1 hour ago, Nomad said:

that might be a record for "fish hands" deer pics. damn they must be 6' back! 

congrats to him though :)

• Like 1

-Aldo Leopold 

Saw one deer not sure if it was a buck or doe. If the rain stays lite I’m going to head back in around 3. c7274efbf4500c833b420a9ce52fb9f9.jpg

5 hours ago, UpStateRedNeck said:

This is the hardest part of the year in alot of ways.  You have to wait a whole nother 10 days for this lull to be over and that magical time of year to start.  Meanwhile your hindbrain is all "Just take some time off and get in the woods!"

I’m glad to hear I’m not the only one!! I’ve been “taking a break” from the woods and it’s killing me...But when I thought about it, I realized I’ve only been taking a break for 1 day!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Hello everyone!

I’ve been reading this thread for years now and just decided to make an account. I live in both northern Saratoga County and Old Forge, NY. 

If anyone has ever been to Old Forge you’d know town is basically a deer sanctuary. They are everywhere and you can pretty much walk up and pet them. Makes it easy to watch for activity changes during the season. Just had 4 does in the yard for 20 minutes or so and a little 4 pointer ran in and harassed one for a few minutes before chasing her off. 

Makes it tempting to hit the hills after work today and see if there are any other early bloomers out there. 

Good luck everyone!

• Like 13

Well my son is hanging with mom at home so I jumped in the marsh.   I guess the weather app’s 0% chance precipitation was referring only to snow.  Hope it stops drizzling soon. It should.  

EFFB0738-5BFB-4043-B70C-1B62F98326B1.jpeg

• Like 9

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Well my son is hanging with mom at home so I jumped in the marsh.   I guess the weather app’s 0% chance precipitation was referring only to snow.  Hope it stops drizzling soon. It should.  

EFFB0738-5BFB-4043-B70C-1B62F98326B1.jpeg

Good luck my friend!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

I'm not hunting, but it's hot outside. Not sure when to hunt next. Temps look solid 70's until sunday.

47 here

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, grampy said:

Good luck my friend!

Thanks Dave.  You know what I am waiting for.   Likely won’t see a thing, but if I do .....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rachunter said:

Saw one deer not sure if it was a buck or doe. If the rain stays lite I’m going to head back in around 3. c7274efbf4500c833b420a9ce52fb9f9.jpg

Nice Crossbow !

• Like 1

Answer to No One !

EFFB0738-5BFB-4043-B70C-1B62F98326B1.thumb.jpeg.1eb3b905d2fb3ea8a4091757a326ac0a.jpeg

Beauty of a spot there...is that a fresh scrape on the right or did you make that?
I would think they have numerous runs through that- hoping they (or maybe he!) hit the right one for you

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, crappyice said:

Beauty of a spot there...is that a fresh scrape on the right or did you make that?
I would think they have numerous runs through that- hoping they (or maybe he!) hit the right one for you

Bit too mucky in this area for scrapes.  I tend to find them in the dryer sections.   

but yes lots of good trails.  Picking the right one is the tough part.  

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 1

Wasn’t going to bow hunt this year, but decided to sit in my “nose bleed” stand this afternoon 

07586CAF-992B-48D0-952A-95A437BBE605.jpeg

• Like 10

8 minutes ago, NonTypical said:

You’ve only got one arrow? @Bionic

I leave that quiver on, but the other 2 arrows are behind me.  Its a simple quiver to remove, but it always loosens up, Pretty annoying, need a small dab of loctite.