Nomad

Range finder

Asking for a friend ......

He wants it for rifle , a decent basic one , keeping monetary consideration towards the lower end .

Ive never even seen one in person , so I’m of no help .

I bought a Halo range finder for around $100 about 5 years ago. Haven't had any issues and it is very accurate. Just make sure he gets one that is capable to reach whatever distance he plans on shooting. 

• Like 1

I have the Vortex Ranger 1800. It’s one step above entry level but won’t break the bank. It’s worked perfectly for me and Vortex is known for their great customer service should repair or replacement be needed. 

• Like 2

Bushnell makes several cheaper options in the 100-125 range if you shop around.

Halo is of the WGI family.

• Like 1

Wife gave me a new Halo for Christmas a couple years ago, and I like it alot. No issues at all. 

Had a Bushnell for years before that. And it's still working too. Gave it to grandson.

Both only used for bow season. As our gun spots are all within the hold dead on range.

• Like 2

You need to consider how it's going to be use.  You need a better quality one for long range.  150 yards or less isn't long range.  I wouldn't get one without incline compensation.  If not and measure from a tree stand the distance with be longer than what you actually need for a measurement due to the affects of gravity,  I use a Bushnell Scout DX 1000 ARC and find it works great.  Previously I had a Simmons that wasn't compensated.  It's fine for measurements on the ground.

Edited by hueyjazz
  • Like 1

"asking for a friend" - same guy that likes pink chaps?  Oldest story in the book.  Nothing wrong with wanting a range finder.

I would probably look for one that is ARC but mine works fine without it for hunting,

• Like 1

I have had a Halo for the last 3 years.  It has been very accurate when I checked it on my range with a tape measure.  I use it a lot when target practicing with my crossbow, ML, slug guns, and rifles.  I am still mad that I did not bring it along on my last ML hunt last year, when I shot under a doe.  I won't be making that mistake again.

• Like 1

I also have the Halo going on 3 or 4 years it was a Christmas present but it was around 100.   my only complaint is if its foggy it doesn't work well.  out of the 5 of us that shoot together 4 have the halo and one has a high end vortex.

• Like 1

I have a HALO with the ARC . I can't memorize the distance from so many stands so I find this handy . I bought it for less than $100 on sale several years ago .

• Like 1

97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

Thanks it’s not for me , i rely on skill not voodoo .  /S

Edited by Nomad

2 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

I just bring my wife, she knows everything. lol

I’m going to recommend your answer !

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nomad said:

I’m going to recommend your answer !

My neighbor said he just bought 2 range finders for 100$ idk what brand they were.. 

I have 3 Range Finders . The 1st one I ever bought is the one in the left of the picture . It was called TLR 75 RANGING and manufactured in East Bloomfield , NY . It sometimes had to be calibrated and the directions were right on the unit . You look through the sight and see what you are measuring to and also see a yardage screen . You moved the dial until the objects line up and were focused ( like the old 35 mm cameras ) . I used it when we use to hunt the Wooly Mamouths and Saber Tooth Tigers .

IMG_0245.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

97.3% of statistics are made up
To Err is Human - To Forgive Divine 

Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy !

I got one off amazon for $89 ,I think last year just got the one with the best reviews at that price  don't even remember the name of it  but it works good  if that helps  .    

Edited by phantom

2 hours ago, fasteddie said:

It was called TLR 75 RANGING and manufactured in East Bloomfield , NY . It sometimes had to be calibrated and the directions were right on the unit . You look through the sight and see what you are measuring to and also see a yardage screen . You moved the dial until the objects line up and were focused ( like the old 35 mm cameras ) . I used it when we use to hunt the Wooly Mamouths and Saber Tooth Tigers .

Haha - I have the same one!

18 hours ago, hueyjazz said:

East Bloomfield, I bet it was made by Crossman Arms.  The pellet gun company.  Because there nothing there else other than cows.

Oh we got  a few deer to ....