What hunting gear ..........

What hunting gear purchase did you make that you regret for any reason ? Mine was The Rescue One Controlled Descent System . I paid something like $130 for it , opened the package and never used it . I believe it's more for someone who goes up 20-30 feet and didn't seem feasible to wear it in a 15' ladder stand as my Hunter Safety System seems appropriate enough for that . I was going to give the Rescue One to my oldest son but he hasn't used his climber in a few years . 

Anyone else have any purchase regrets ? 

Rocky boots not sure exact "model" but similar to the sport utility 1000g.lasted 1-2 season's before leaking like crazy.maybe it was me..more treatment and or storage of said boots but expect more for $160.feet get wet every time I walk through field with dew on it.not wearing those anymore....

• Like 1

A Hastings paradox, rifled 12 gauge cantilever scope mount barrel for my Remington 870.  That thing would stack the slugs vertically as it heated up.  

A local gun dealer took it in as partial trade on my T/C Omega 50 cal muzzleloader.   Now, I will only use a bolt-action rifled slug gun with a receiver mounted scope after that misfortune.  

The 870 still works good with its original, short smoothbore barrel with rifle sights, as long as I keep the range under 75 yards.  I carried it for backup during gun season for a few years, and scored a few doubles with it, after dropping the first with my Omega.

These days, my 3-shot bolt-action, rifled, 12-gauge Marlin 512 has eliminated the need to carry 2 guns at home during gun season where rifles are not legal.  It is just as accurate as the Omega at 150 yards but packs about double the energy and two “extra” shots.

• Like 3

Um, condoms for putting over the barrel of my ML. I thought I grabbed the non lubed kind but, I did not. So they were useless and those things aren't cheap. Upon unloading my hunting pack from the week at the cabin my wife noticed them. She got a good laugh and is still cracking jokes on that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

Rocky boots not sure exact "model" but similar to the sport utility 1000g.lasted 1-2 season's before leaking like crazy.maybe it was me..more treatment and or storage of said boots but expect more for $160.feet get wet every time I walk through field with dew on it.not wearing those anymore....

I had a couple different pairs and they were garbage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, doebuck1234 said:

I bought a pair of Red Wing Irish Setter 17" hunting boots, with a side zipper. were nice to get on and off and guaranteed to be 100% waterproof. NOT!! they leaked 1st time I wore them, sent them back, got a new pr and they are just as bad!! IiRC they were 150 plus shipping.  this is a link to a similar pair..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/125000646143?hash=item1d1a9e7dff:g:-HIAAOSwJ3NhjxNq

2 hours ago, DirtTime said:

Um, condoms for putting over the barrel of my ML. I thought I grabbed the non lubed kind but, I did not. So they were useless and those things aren't cheap. Upon unloading my hunting pack from the week at the cabin my wife noticed them. She got a good laugh and is still cracking jokes on that.

At least you had the right size laying around LOL 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, crappyice said:

@The_Real_TCIII is NOT gonna like this but the 3rd arm strap for my climber was delivered, opened and returned to the package upon inspection. I’m an “old dog”who does not adapt well to new tricks. Seemed like extra steps for not a tremendous benefit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazy talk ,I couldnt imagine not using them .

• Like 3

I've always bowhunted in a ghillie suit. My cabelas scentlock suit served me well for nearly 15 years but was starting to fall apart in spots. I bought a nomad pants and jacket combo to replace it and it's really geared towards the turkey hunter. It's VERY green and while I like it for turkey, it was more expensive then I would have normally paid for just turkey where I've started to do more blind hunting anyway. That said, I did kill a deer in it in October where it still kinda fit in.

I've looked high and low and cant find a quality ghilie suit that has some browns in it anymore. 

thought of another. My scentlok fannypack with shoulder straps. First one the seam that holds the shoulder strap tore with little to no abuse. Customer support gave me shit but did replace it. Second one, same thing but hanging on by a thread at least. It's not even a great pack, 2 compartments and no water bottle holder. One of the compartments is tiny and the other is huge. I guess I was just used to my cabelas fanny pack that had like 4 compartments for easily sorting and storing. Problem is it wouldn't stay tight and wasn't waterproof. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

I've always bowhunted in a ghillie suit. My cabelas scentlock suit served me well for nearly 15 years but was starting to fall apart in spots. I bought a nomad pants and jacket combo to replace it and it's really geared towards the turkey hunter. It's VERY green and while I like it for turkey, it was more expensive then I would have normally paid for just turkey where I've started to do more blind hunting anyway. That said, I did kill a deer in it in October where it still kinda fit in.

I've looked high and low and cant find a quality ghilie suit that has some browns in it anymore. 

I have a leafy jacket and pants that I dyed with Sitz dye

Just bought a $99 Browning Camera at Bass Pro in Auburn and it worked for 2 card pulls about 1 week and shit the bed won’t turn on or work at all.  Brought it back 17 days after purchasing and Bass Pro said to contact Browning.  I haven’t not overly impressed with BPS as they profited too but want to take no responsibility I asked the clerk at the front desk if I could just exchange it for another one and they said no.  Maybe I will send it to browning but not expecting much but have had good luck with their other more expensive cameras 

I have a set of skinning knives / saw/ boning  knife  that were not cheap. Hate everything  about them . I have a real nice set of binoculars  i bought to replace my old set . They were bigger than my old set but I figured they would get by . Well they spend more time in the truck than in the woods because they don't fit in my pocket like my old nikon binoculars. 

32 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Just bought a $99 Browning Camera at Bass Pro in Auburn and it worked for 2 card pulls about 1 week and shit the bed won’t turn on or work at all.  Brought it back 17 days after purchasing and Bass Pro said to contact Browning.  I haven’t not overly impressed with BPS as they profited too but want to take no responsibility I asked the clerk at the front desk if I could just exchange it for another one and they said no.  Maybe I will send it to browning but not expecting much but have had good luck with their other more expensive cameras 

I have had mixed results with browning's cameras, which are made by prometheus group and browning throws their name on it. I will say that the issues I've had have been handled well. My only gripe is that I had to pay shipping which ended up being ~$20 get my cell cam replaced. I haven't had a camera manufacturer that I've had NOT have some sort of issue and I get that tech can be finicky, but my recent experience with the 5 browning cell cams was bad enough that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone even though all are and have been working for some time now.

Take it back again.. package it up and just say nothing is wrong. Screw these big box stores.....like ya said they sure as shit will sell us the camera....but wash their hands of it after it leaves the store.

Start dealing with @Phade....always top notch service through him

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

Take it back again.. package it up and just say nothing is wrong. Screw these big box stores.....like ya said they sure as shit will sell us the camera....but wash their hands of it after it leaves the store.

Start dealing with @Phade....always top notch service through him

Sent from my SM-A716V using Tapatalk

Yeah I sent the Browning stealth I bought back.  I have 2, they are inferior to the 2 HD's I run.  0 complaints about the HD, great range and reliability.

2 hours ago, Belo said:

I have had mixed results with browning's cameras, which are made by prometheus group and browning throws their name on it. I will say that the issues I've had have been handled well. My only gripe is that I had to pay shipping which ended up being ~$20 get my cell cam replaced. I haven't had a camera manufacturer that I've had NOT have some sort of issue and I get that tech can be finicky, but my recent experience with the 5 browning cell cams was bad enough that I wouldn't recommend them to anyone even though all are and have been working for some time now.

This is a non cell camera and have to contact Prometheus to send it to them for $20 WTH.  Guessing they will send a new camera same type for another 20 bucks and that doesn’t really make sense simple solution is Bass Pro shops takes camera back gives me another one same type price everything and they deal with the supplier on the crappy camera that doesn’t take pictures.  Nowadays it’s retail acts like it’s not our problem will just pocket the money and hope you go away.  
Yeah agree I haven’t had any camera manufacture that I purchased that didn’t have some sort of issues the only one I haven’t is Reconyx because they’re so expensive oh well had some cheap cams last five years and expensive ones last two years you never know