Live From The Woods 2022 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

22 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I was out yesterday for the first time this year. Heard some gobbles, saw 5 deer and it was a beautiful morning. Other than dealing with DEC because they got a call that people were in the woods, all in Camo and carrying guns! He was a nice guy and seemed annoyed at the call. All was good accept my back tag was still on my backpack from deer season and i didn't have it with me. He didn't give me a ticket which i thanked him for cause i deserved it...

Congrats Bill and Cynthia and the rest of you guys that scored!

i think you can download the app and that would count as having your license on you. You'd be screwed if you shot a bird though without the tag. 

1 hour ago, Belo said:

i think you can download the app and that would count as having your license on you. You'd be screwed if you shot a bird though without the tag. 

I had everything on me accept my back tag. It was on my backpack from deer season and i never thought to grab it. My hunting license and tags are always in my wallet....

This early season has been great. Birds are starting to get vocal, I've made some Rookie mistakes but I'm having a blast. Have been near Gobblers 7 out of 10 mornings, have heard more gobbling on public than I have on private. 

Set up under a Jake who told on me, I never saw him there until after daylight. He busted me, and sent 5 gobs gliding off. They did give me a show when he started putting. (I hunted those birds again today they seem to be spreading out.)

Had a stud come in silent, I saw all the sign around and I just rushed through and bumped him. He busted me.

Today I Called a hen in, she had 2 red heads with her, at daylight, and when she got in the logging road she just didn't like something and putted off with her studs. I did a monster circle and came in from another direction i did get to have some back and forth with 1 of the birds but they walked off with thier grumpy girl.

I feel fortunate to have this many birds to hunt, it's been a great early season. Scouting is so worth it. We all want to be under the roost, but sometimes you just have to sit in a tall spot and listen. It's paid off for me this year especially.  

Ps. Those eggs are from a mallard, it was on top of a ridge and the only water around d is spring fed diversion ditches.

20220509_060439.jpg

20220509_060749.jpg

20220509_063054.jpg

20220509_080215.jpg

20220510_074146.jpg

• Like 12

I had a fun hunt today. Bird gobbled a dozen or so times on the roost and maybe three times on the ground. I thought he was coming but two hens came out first and both busted me. The first just ran past me and out of sight but the second putted and slowly went back in towards him. I got him to gobble one more time but I think she took him away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

I had a fun hunt today. Bird gobbled a dozen or so times on the roost and maybe three times on the ground. I thought he was coming but two hens came out first and both busted me. The first just ran past me and out of sight but the second putted and slowly went back in towards him. I got him to gobble one more time but I think she took him away

You're in the game. Just gotta catch him that one special day he wants to commit and fall over with a flap or two

Tapatalk doesn't seem to want to work anymore with my phone.. or actually its probably just me navigating it wrong lol..

Yesterday A.M. My first morning out..

(Found out how much Turkeys and Owls get along..) 

Got setup on a typical roost ridge, lucky for me there was a Tom there,2 minutes  After a soft tree yelp, followed by fly down cackle and my hat flapping..  he pitched into my setup, 20 yards left, but no clear shot. I let him walk away with his hen as he was heading the direction i did not want him to go..so I sat quiet and I let him be to try a roost attempt in another day or two.. After checking the rest of that property for a tom that wanted to be play, and then another property, followed by 2 more other properties with zero luck..I decided to go get some work done, On my last attempt to strike a bird I figured I would try my 12 acre camp, and as I had a feeling might happen, I strike a bird, sounds like a good one at that..  I got around on him and started reeling him in.. Just as i can make him out coming through the woods at 75 yards.. an owl comes in fast and lands on a limb between us and let out some noises Ive never heard before staring in my direction with intent.. lol as well as the Tom's.. The owls approach quickly sent the Tom the other direction and he never made a peep the rest of the day.. 

I Gave my brother some MRI of the days adventures.. and he went in after the same Roost setup but not a bird was there, and the hill was silent minus light hen talk.. He packed up after a bit to find the bird the Owl bumped on me.. He found him in close to the same spot as I did.. Called him in to 40 steps and the gun went click.. he quickly racked a second shell only to hear that one go click also... By now the bird is alert and walks off quick.. He knew where he was headed and got around on him and sat quietly.. 20 minutes later.. the bird lost his soul.. 

1.5" spurs

24#

10" Beard

IMG_8151.JPG

• Like 23

23 hours ago, ApexerER said:

I had everything on me accept my back tag. It was on my backpack from deer season and i never thought to grab it. My hunting license and tags are always in my wallet....

i thought they did away with the back tag requirement? I might be thinking of another state. 

36 minutes ago, LET EM GROW said:

Tapatalk doesn't seem to want to work anymore with my phone.. or actually its probably just me navigating it wrong lol..

Yesterday A.M. My first morning out..

(Found out how much Turkeys and Owls get along..) 

Got setup on a typical roost ridge, lucky for me there was a Tom there,2 minutes  After a soft tree yelp, followed by fly down cackle and my hat flapping..  he pitched into my setup, 20 yards left, but no clear shot. I let him walk away with his hen as he was heading the direction i did not want him to go..so I sat quiet and I let him be to try a roost attempt in another day or two.. After checking the rest of that property for a tom that wanted to be play, and then another property, followed by 2 more other properties with zero luck..I decided to go get some work done, On my last attempt to strike a bird I figured I would try my 12 acre camp, and as I had a feeling might happen, I strike a bird, sounds like a good one at that..  I got around on him and started reeling him in.. Just as i can make him out coming through the woods at 75 yards.. an owl comes in fast and lands on a limb between us and let out some noises Ive never heard before staring in my direction with intent.. lol as well as the Tom's.. The owls approach quickly sent the Tom the other direction and he never made a peep the rest of the day.. 

I Gave my brother some MRI of the days adventures.. and he went in after the same Roost setup but not a bird was there, and the hill was silent minus light hen talk.. He packed up after a bit to find the bird the Owl bumped on me.. He found him in close to the same spot as I did.. Called him in to 40 steps and the gun went click.. he quickly racked a second shell only to hear that one go click also... By now the bird is alert and walks off quick.. He knew where he was headed and got around on him and sat quietly.. 20 minutes later.. the bird lost his soul.. 

1.5" spurs

24#

10" Beard

IMG_8151.JPG

Wow. Congrats. Isn't 1.5" spurs a monster!?!

I have enjoyed hunting turkeys this year emensly. I made it a point to focus all of my energy into public land. I can hunt my lease anytime but I like tax free meat, lol. I have done 1o/11 days(went to syracuse mets game for mothers day), only left the woods before noon twice, one day I had to be responsible, and today I filled tag #1 @730am. I have seen and heard so many amazing things this spring. I feel so fortunate. Today it culminated in a double with my best friend. Our kills happened 1.5 hours apart but it couldn't be more of a double. 

IMG_20220511_091616_471.jpg

• Like 17

5 hours ago, Belo said:

i thought they did away with the back tag requirement? I might be thinking of another state. 

4 hours ago, ApexerER said:

Apparently you don't need it in the Northern Zone...

Haven't needed to wear a back tag in the NZ for as long as I can remember hunting up there, about 30 years. Don't have to wear it in the Catskill Park either. The bill that was introduced to make it, so the whole state didn't have to wear them, died in the Assembly a couple of years ago.

Back Tag Regs

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

5 hours ago, LET EM GROW said:

Thanks, It is a pretty impressive bird no doubt!!

I have killed appx 130,  and my biggest spurs were 1 7/16....I can count the 1 3/8 on one hand and I mat have killed a dozen or so 1 1/4....

That's a hell of a bird....Congrats...

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

I have killed appx 130,  and my biggest spurs were 1 7/16....I can count the 1 3/8 on one hand and I mat have killed a dozen or so 1 1/4....

That's a hell of a bird....Congrats...

My first bird ever was 1 3/8 . I didn't realize at all what I had at the time. I'm still "chasing the dragon".

So I figured my two hours I put in so far was plenty , with the warm weather I’ve switched to the yard work, pool opening, power washing , mulch spreading ( 14 yards ) stuff . Along with festivals and camping . 

Then just now my buddy who lives behind my woods and took a long bread the first day, just texted to say there’s a bird gobbling in my woods right now . I told him to go shoot it . ( tomorrow of course …)

• Like 1

I am at 123 Big ol Birds. Looks like,I might stay there this Spring. I am " Snakebit" this Spring and have Zero Luck to go with modest skill.  At least,I am down to 219lbs as,I walked over 4 Hours this morning

It's only May 11th Bill. You got this!

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I am at 123 Big ol Birds. Looks like,I might stay there this Spring. I am " Snakebit" this Spring and have Zero Luck to go with modest skill.  At least,I am down to 219lbs as,I walked over 4 Hours this morning

What about your assists to Cynthia the past 2 years?

• Like 5