Best hunting advice given to you?

Swamp_bucks

I was watching a clip from exodus on youtube that just talked about this from a couple of their guests on the show.

Whats the best hunting advice you’ve received? Whether  it’s something that’s helped you harvest more deer or just enjoy hunting more.

I have one for each. First is helping me hunt better is just trusting my instincts. I’ve always second guessed myself and over the last couple years I go into the season telling myself to trust my instincts ands it’s starting to pay off for me.  The other would be everyone’s idea of a “trophy” buck is different and be happy for the hunter and their harvest whether it’s a 3”spike or a world record. 

• Like 1

Since Jesus Christ alone determines the final destination of all living things, keeping Him alone in the top spot, is the best way to ensure that they end up exactly where you desire.  
EEFD17CF-FAC1-4036-A3E5-F6FD948D9037.thumb.jpeg.383b4613a14f73d9099423b4601e05fa.jpeg

DB6BF500-44E6-4A70-B2FB-19F9158EE8F7.thumb.jpeg.8aeb63c75a54a3d16bee18cf2815bb95.jpeg

I like it when they end up on my table. 

Edited by wolc123

"take a friggin compass". - Dad.

I always pack one. My Dad always had everyone take one always. My brother got lost in McKeever one time and didn't have a compass. 10 seconds after Dad found him he had one. Lol

Even a couple of years ago after tracking a buddies deer in the dark and we did circles for a minute. Pulled out the compass and I was on the trail in 10 minutes.

I carry my Dad's old compass in my truck for luck...

Learned most things with hunting on my own by trial and error though.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

There's a few here's One from a bow hunter practice practice and more practice. Here's one I tell new hunters don't over analyze there deer. One more you can fool there eyes and there ears but the nose knows everything.

No matter if you see a deer or not , enjoy nature and the land you hunt on because they are not making anymore of it . 

My dad told me that when I was 5 or so talking about our land we own ,at 47 I find myself telling it to my girls 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

"take a friggin compass". - Dad.

I always pack one. My Dad always had everyone take one always. My brother got lost in McKeever one time and didn't have a compass. 10 seconds after Dad found him he had one. Lol

Even a couple of years ago after tracking a buddies deer in the dark and we did circles for a minute. Pulled out the compass and I was on the trail in 10 minutes.

I carry my Dad's old compass in my truck for luck...

Learned most things with hunting on my own by trial and error though.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

This is great advice for ice fishermen too. (I learned this as a "kid" on Oneida Lake.)

• Like 1

Two things. One an older hunter at the dog running club I belonged to - we was 75% Native American. Met him randomly in the aisle of a Sports Authority talking hunting as I moved into the area recently. Bob Pinto, Navy veteran. In the first five minutes he let me know he had a heart AND lung transplant the prior year. He said - you only have so many opening days so you got to make the most of it. Great guy. I owe him a lot in the short years he was around. Gives me perspective.

The other is more controversial. If you’re at a 50-50 yes/no decision, go yes. Always yes. It doesn’t mean be careless. If you’re at 50-50 there has been thought behind it to rationalize the outcome.

It applies to everything hunting IMO - shooting, getting up and into the woods, taking that trip, moving that stand 40 yards vs hoping that buck that just walked by out of range comes your way, etc. 

Edited by phade