Head Shots

sampotter

I kind of chuckle because so many people have a hard enough time hitting the "vitals", what makes people think that trying to target something roughly the size of an apple is a better alternative....

I think the reality is that if someone is targeting the head it is because it is the only thing they have a shot at (the rest of the deer is in thick cover or the deer is walking straight at them..  It is a last ditch effort to just "get a shot"...  In my mind that by default makes it unethical..  If you are a "good" hunter, you spend all spring and summer praticing the various shots and angles that make for a good quality shot.  To throw that all out the window to just "get a shot" is plain wrong..

Had a kid that I am mentoring have a big 10 that we were seeing this year walk straight out of the thick stuff, walk straight at his stand, directly under him and straight away from him into the thcik stuff.   He kept saying how he didn't feel like he had a good shot and if he did shoot it would be a "hail mary".  At that moment I felt like he listened to everything I had been preaching during the spring and summer as we praticed shooting the mackenzie target...

I have been told I am too conservative...  OK, maybe I am, but when I do shoot, I can feel good about what I am doing and sleep aat night..

No, I don't even take head shots with a gun. That brain cavity is exceptionally tiny. There also is a lot of non-vital area on a deer's head. I have seen the results of a failed head shot, and it's not a pretty sight. One gun season, I saw a deer running through  the woods with its lower jaw swinging like a slab of meat. I was unable to get a shot at it, but I guarantee that if somebody else didn't get that animal, it definitely died one ugly death through slow starvation and lack of water. No wounded animal is something that we want to see, but there are some shots that are simply a recipe for ensuring the slowest, most agonizing death that we can inflict on an animal. By the way, I have the same feelings about neck shots. That's another one that has a whole lot of area that is not "quick and humane kill areas.

These kinds of tricky areas are ugly choices for guns, which makes them 10 times uglier for an arrow.

• Like 3

No, I don't even take head shots with a gun. That brain cavity is exceptionally tiny. There also is a lot of non-vital area on a deer's head. I have seen the results of a failed head shot, and it's not a pretty sight. One gun season, I saw a deer running through  the woods with its lower jaw swinging like a slab of meat. I was unable to get a shot at it, but I guarantee that if somebody else didn't get that animal, it definitely died one ugly death through slow starvation and lack of water. No wounded animal is something that we want to see, but there are some shots that are simply a recipe for ensuring the slowest, most agonizing death that we can inflict on an animal. By the way, I have the same feelings about neck shots. That's another one that has a whole lot of area that is not "quick and humane kill areas.

These kinds of tricky areas are ugly choices for guns, which makes them 10 times uglier for an arrow.

I agree completely Doc, If someone wants to boast about being a good shot get a piece of paper and go tack it up at some great distance to showoff to me. But when it comes down to killing an animal the most ergonomic shot should be number one priority, Not oh I might waste meat by that shot. 

Never.. I know guys that will take a neck shot as well with bow... I feel that is just as unethical... we all know that even a good vital area shot in the lungs can sometimes still result in a long search... just not worth the risk of losing a deer or wounding one only to have it die days or weeks later. The idea is to harvest the deer not just put an arrow in the deer, never to see it again.

Edited by nyantler
  • Like 1

I would never take a headshot. I too have seen the consequences of failed headshots. Some yahoo shot a spike with a .22 right in the jaw. Luckly the deer was put down by my brother. As for neck shots I have taken a few at close range with a rifle (20 yards or less) and everytime the deer dropped in its tracks. I did have clean miss neck shot this year at not even 50 yards with my muzzleloader (scope was wayyy off, some of you probably remember the horrible *hit show I had when I got that doe posted in Live from the Woods). It definitely got me thinking.

I don't bowhunt, only crossbow. I wouldn't take a head shot, but I would take a neck shot if given the perfect opportunity (straight on, right distance, not moving, etc.) With a gun, still no head shots but that's because I dont shoot does and wouldnt want to mess up a mount. I take straight on neck shots if that is the only shot I am going to get though.

Speaking of neck shots, I watched Bill Jordan shoot a nice buck on TV last night with a front neck shot at like 35-40 yards with a compound bow.

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

I shot a button buck in the head last year with the bow but not on purpose. it was really windy and I was actually packing up to leave when this little guy came out of nowhere and gave me a perfect 25 yd broadside shot. it happened so fast that I wasn't even sure that I hit it. actually had a really good blood trail. found the arrow about 50 yds from where I shot it and it was destroyed along with the broadhead so I figured I hit it right in the shoulder blade. found the deer about another 30 yds from that and was stunned when there was no hole anywhere on its body. soon realized that it was hit right between the eye and ear. couldn't believe my shot was that far off. I got lucky that day but I would never deliberately arrow one in the head. also I wont go out with the bow when its that windy ever again