Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Some nice size branches dropping now and I don’t see the deer moving in this. Pulling the plug in 5.

[mention=762]Chef[/mention] nice buck man! Cool temps, no scavengers, not gut shot and you got him early. I’d say he will taste just as good as any other deer. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahah so he was for sure gut shot, the arrow exited out the ham. Much harder quarter than I thought.
9cd75075784a9f72b01fa8d532fd1eb6.jpg

• Like 2

Nice buck! Glad the coyotes didn't get him first. My wife shot a doe yesterday that we had to leave overnight and coyotes beat us to that one. First deer I've ever lost to them...

Sorry to hear that and thanks, I’m hunting suburban woods if I get 5 pics of coyotes on my cam all year it’s a lot. I figured I was good

20 minutes ago, Chef said:

Hahah so he was for sure gut shot, the arrow exited out the ham. Much harder quarter than I thought.
9cd75075784a9f72b01fa8d532fd1eb6.jpg

I hit a busted up 2-1/2 year old 8-pointer just like that in 2016 with my crossbow and a mechanical broadhead.  I wondered what the heck had happened, when he hobbled off dragging a back leg on the opposite side of my shot. I think that my bolt deflected back off the shoulder blade.  He was also slightly quartering to at the shot. 

After the hit, I watched him walk about 70 yards, right towards my pond.  He keeled over about 10 yards short of it.  How was the gut job on yours ?  The one that I hit like that was definitely the messiest one that I have ever killed with an arrow or gun.  A wide open mechanical broadhead, diagonal thru the lungs, liver, stomach, intestines , and ham works wonders.  I was glad that pond was so close for cleanup.

Are you going to cut that one up yourself or take it to a processor ?  I’d be interested to know how that meat tastes, especially the tenderloins, if you try them. The one that I killed like that was pretty good, but at least 2 years younger and I had the guts all out of it and the cavity washed within 20 minutes of crashdown.  

As I mentioned earlier, I don’t think cutting it up yourself would be worth the risk, when there are so many good processor/sausage makers out there.  Every so often, it’s good to use one that does not guarantee your own meat back.  

I was very tempted to grab the ml and head 40 minutes up into 6k myself!

I still may later today. Not having faith in what I have left of bow spots and don't want to burn out my home spot before the rut.

You on public?

Sorry for the late response just seen the post yeah I was on public up in the Washington park area. 4 hunters out for 5 hrs and only 1 deer kicked up on a drive.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Took friend son out.. sat about 250 yards from where i got my buck  and these guys came in an started sparing.. 4 year old spike that made it to a 3pt this year ive wanted for awhile.. have 5 min video dont know how to post it so here are some screen shots  ..VideoCapture_20221015-115429.thumb.jpg.355419564df4105dcf01597efef4f711.jpgVideoCapture_20221015-115433.thumb.jpg.b98e56fc023a2366cdd39d83d7db0aca.jpgVideoCapture_20221015-115443.thumb.jpg.94cff03780319f62451a2e6908818c9a.jpgVideoCapture_20221015-115546.thumb.jpg.f4c130f40e0f82becc7803d69d1df51c.jpgVideoCapture_20221015-115713.thumb.jpg.1b6dcb5308476ec5b1e6cad3597ef5ee.jpgVideoCapture_20221015-115715.thumb.jpg.be161658e36a13c76f201a5f547dff3e.jpg

VideoCapture_20221015-115448.jpg

• Like 17

Out for a last hour sit on the field edge stand. Ended up getting boat put up, tower blind propane in and got pumpkins with the family. Looks like the last warm day for a while! Maybe 6k ml tomorrow. Tonight 7A
Bow. Line of 4 fresh scrapes from last night.

I call much more. Every 2 to 3 minutes. And,I call Louder as well. This morning, I used Adult Lost Yelps,Cutting, and Kee-Kee- Runs to imitate  a Lost Young Turkey.

Do you get gobbles? I noticed only one very short gobble this AM among about 4 or 5 toms in the group.

I don’t know about the rest of the state but man it’s windy in Monroe. I couldn’t hunt tonight anyhow, but may have given it a pass anyhow.

I know it’s still super early but I again chose wrong this AM and had a different target buck show up again at the stand I’m leaving along till the rut lol. My only consolation is that depending on how he approached he would have been directly downwind and likely would have been busted with those winds. But if he took the run from the east it would have been a nice broadside shot… he showed up again tonight lol.

I guess I can’t be upset at the daylight sightings already but I am starting to think we are going to have an early rut and I’m on the road the first week of November with my rutcation planned the week after….

1 hour ago, Belo said:

I don’t know about the rest of the state but man it’s windy in Monroe. I couldn’t hunt tonight anyhow, but may have given it a pass anyhow.

I know it’s still super early but I again chose wrong this AM and had a different target buck show up again at the stand I’m leaving along till the rut lol. My only consolation is that depending on how he approached he would have been directly downwind and likely would have been busted with those winds. But if he took the run from the east it would have been a nice broadside shot… he showed up again tonight lol.

I guess I can’t be upset at the daylight sightings already but I am starting to think we are going to have an early rut and I’m on the road the first week of November with my rutcation planned the week after….

Very windy in monroe today.me and cousin went to linear park in Penfield to check out the creek for salmon.waters were full of leaf and so isn't my lawn now.been waiting for em to drop,seems like it taking forever

Man it was slowwww until last 10 min. Had five bucks come out. All within 10 yards. Was looking nearly vertically down at this guy when pic was taken. 

I tried and tried and tried but I couldn’t make him 4 and I may regret but is what it is. 

AEEFB94F-475C-42A5-80D4-B1F42B1E5567.jpeg

A11294DA-C117-453D-92A0-880A99CB19EA.jpeg

Edited by phade
  • Like 6

1 minute ago, phade said:

Man it was slowwww until last 10 min. Had five bucks come out. All within 10 yards. Was looking nearly vertically down at this guy when pic was taken. 

I tried and tried and tried but I couldn’t make him 4 and I may regret but is what it is. 

AEEFB94F-475C-42A5-80D4-B1F42B1E5567.jpeg

A11294DA-C117-453D-92A0-880A99CB19EA.jpeg

And that was in Monroe…

• Like 2

Bummer. So assuming tenderloins are a loss. How’s everything else look?

Tenderloins are for sure a loss… everything else seems fine, honestly there was a ton of blood in the cavity in front of the diaphragm and while the guts were swollen and stunk there wasn’t a ton of guy mess in the cavity

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Chef said:

Tenderloins are for sure a loss… everything else seems fine, honestly there was a ton of blood in the cavity in front of the diaphragm and while the guts were swollen and stunk there wasn’t a ton of guy mess in the cavity

It happens

Congrats for getting a nice buck