Live From The Woods 2022 - 2023 Edition!

fasteddie

Another quiet day on forum.

Late rut. Opening Gun season weekend will have chasing, book it.

I don’t see any day in the 14 day forecast without the High being over 60. 60-69° highs every single day until November 5 as of now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4 minutes ago, BizCT said:

I don’t see any day in the 14 day forecast without the High being over 60. 60-69° highs every single day until November 5 as of now

I used to try to pin it down but I started to feel it happens at the same time every year.

being on this forum for a few years helped me with this thought. If you look historically the ny harvests thread seems to be most active november 5-15, with most of them 7-11. So I no longer see a better time. I have however seen breeding behavior from 10/25 til January, and sometimes  the weather influences the sightings durring rut but I don't see it later or earlier anymore. Dec 1-5 can be pretty interesting also in low presure areas.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, BizCT said:

That’s awesome , we get enough cold around here ! Next week Thur - Sunday mornings look good to me too ,comfortable sit ,pleasant afternoons at home . Although I can’t do more then two mornings in a row anymore .

Actually I can’t do two of many things anymore .

E15D55F6-2104-4A0E-92AE-9B8E794196BD.jpeg

• Like 2

I actually disagree with this 100% the rut will be early this year… seems like by me most does have already kicked the fawns. This is the number 1 sign the rut is coming. I have also seen daytime buck action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ain't no flies on the 30-30, out to 150 yards or so...However there are are probably 50  +other chamberings that you could say that about...The  main appeal of the 30-30 is the  light, fast handling little carbines that it is usually chambered in..

I agree. Great gun for drives, long hikes/hunts. If I’m taking a short hike to a treestand or blind, I’m opting for a larger gun that has the advantages of more distance and knockdown power.

All that said it’s a fine gun for whitetails for most NY situations.

• Like 1

I actually disagree with this 100% the rut will be early this year… seems like by me most does have already kicked the fawns. This is the number 1 sign the rut is coming. I have also seen daytime buck action

It all varies county to county for sure. Fawns still with does, no rubs, no Scrapes yet in CT or 3N NY. When I only gun hunted it seemed every 5-6 years we would see some good chasing opening weekend of gun. I can’t remember the last time that happened. So maybe we due?

Slowest year for forum buck kills though?

So after this mornings sit I decided to still hunt around the opposite side of the property since I haven't been over there since before the season opener. On my way out walking down the logging road I found a spot where I could get in and out easy and somewhat quiet with the climber so I put a mock scrape down. Well I pissed someone off. After a short lunch I grabbed a camera and the climber figured I'd sit on the mock scrape as kind of a scouting sit. As I get to the scrape I'm thinking this isn't where I made it W.T.F is happening. Besides that one there are 5 new scrapes now and the mock scrape I made is just shredded.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, bhunterED said:

So after this mornings sit I decided to still hunt around the opposite side of the property since I haven't been over there since before the season opener. On my way out walking down the logging road I found a spot where I could get in and out easy and somewhat quiet with the climber so I put a mock scrape down. Well I pissed someone off. After a short lunch I grabbed a camera and the climber figured I'd sit on the mock scrape as kind of a scouting sit. As I get to the scrape I'm thinking this isn't where I made it W.T.F is happening. Besides that one there are 5 new scrapes now and the mock scrape I made is just shredded.

Bills turkeys he's  looking for lol

• Haha 1

It will be the same time it is every year

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

It will be the same time it is every year

Broadly speaking of course- If you’re talking 3 weeks. I meant the peak few days of mayhem chasing that sometimes occurs in gun season. 19th is a late opener. Not a 15th year.