meat or antlers ?

bigbass007

Depends for me. Bucks? I prefer to shoot a bigger buck, for bow season at this point, its 2 1/2 year old or better, for gun, its 3 1/2 or better. When it comes to meat I shoot does, and on one of the farms I hunt, its about population control, so fawn does are fair game. I try not to shoot button bucks, but ive made errors in the past on that.

I hunt for the meat. I like a 1 1/2 or 2 1/2 year old buck or doe meat is not as tough and has better taste then older. However that doesnt mean I will pass up a older deer to get a younger one. I also will not pass up a small buck hopeing for a big on either. Button buck or small doe I will let walk not worth the work for the little meat they provide. I do not have a problem with hunters who shoot them or only hunt for trophy it is there money and time they can enjoy it the way they want

This season I took a spike with the bow not realizing it was a spike. I had all my tags and knew that I wanted a deer..any deer this year to get the skunk off me from last season. I saw this deer first a 100 yards away and knew it was a decent body size so I was gonna take it if it gave a chance. I can honesty say that I never looked at its head again until after I shot! Last season I busted myself with staring deer down or fidgeting or getting overly anxious. After the hit and it turned to run I saw the first glimpse of bone. Happy to have the meat and a skull to clean up for a DIY euro.

I wonder though if I would have shot it if I knew it was a spike!?! If I passed I would be kicking myself and second guessing myself for sure now.

Edited by crappyice

Town of Southold Deer Management Assistance Program allows taking of buck only after you take two does.

Otherwise, I'm not going to pass up on one waiting for something better to come along.

Maybe that will change after I get some signigficant hunting experience. So far I have had only one oppertunity for a responsible shot and I took it.

• Like 1

i started off for meat when i started hunting and still shoot doe for friends that want meat. but i have shot many small bucks and have held out for the top 10% that my property shows via trail cam. for those that want ar's remember what your first buck or several first bucks were, why would you deprive a younger /new hunter the enjoyment and experiances you had when you started. its a personal choice and everyone develops into it at their own time...the way it should be.

the question of someone being a meat hunter versus an antler hunter is only asked because we assume the quality of hunting here sucks.  very few being an exception, every hunter hunts for both.  any "meat hunter" I know has taken or hunted a bigger buck when it has presented itself or they knew it was around. 

the guy that shoots a 120lb or less 1.5 year old buck and says he's a meat hunter and it'll eat better than anything else is just trying to justify the decision.  it's not helping his demands as a meat hunter though.  If he's a landowner he can get [doe] tags from DEC and if he's not he could spend a little extra and get a muzzleloader tag and fill his regular tag [with doe].  doe that are 3.5 yrs old and up are usually as heavy.  also by shooting 1.5 year old [bucks] and no doe he's killing the productivity (and meat providing potential) of the herd.  1.5 yr old bucks make up a majority of the buck population. save them and there's more to get to all the doe when they first come into heat.  more doe are bred and have babies.  those babies are born sooner so they're bigger and survive winter or predation better.  also there isn't non-productive doe (that he chose not to shoot) eating the food during the winter that's limited.  doe and their babies are now fatter and happier rolling into warmer months when food becomes plentiful again.

whenever a doe is taken it should always be checked to see if it has milk or it's dry.  that's an indication of how many fawns are making it through or being produced. to put more meat on your table in the future.

Edited by dbHunterNY
  • Like 1

Town of Southold Deer Management Assistance Program allows taking of buck only after you take two does.

Otherwise, I'm not going to pass up on one waiting for something better to come along.

Maybe that will change after I get some signigficant hunting experience. So far I have had only one oppertunity for a responsible shot and I took it.

Southold Long Island?

Here's the definition of hunting:
                                          v.verb
1.To pursue (game) for food or sport.
2.To search through (an area) for prey.
1.n.noun
3.The act or sport of hunting.
4.A hunting expedition or outing, usually with horses and hounds
It doesn't say anything about antlers