LIVE from the woods 2015 Edition! - Sixth Year Going Strong

burmjohn

Dammit!! Just missed an opportunity to put down a young doe ... Jumped up n scared the crap outa me, ran or I should say hopped 10 yds behind some thick crap holding up her back leg .... Hopped off through the thick sh$& before I could get a shot .... Hope she makes it through the winter ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Near my house there is a very small sliver of posted land bordering a state park and a stream. I have no idea who owns it. I don't know how long the property is but it can't be more than 100yds wide. There has been an F150 parked there everyday since the gun opener. Day, weather doesn't matter. He is there dark to dark. I have scene this truck in years previous but never more than once or twice, usually the gun opener and a couple days after. Last night I drove by there about 10pm and caught what looked like a big deer on the side of the road. I slammed on the brakes and backed up swinging my headlights to the side of the road. This deer was the biggest deer I have ever seen. A 12pt with tines at least 12" tall. I was in aww. He stood there for maybe 30 seconds then hopped back into the thick stuff. The deer must live in the State park where you can't hunt. I can't stress how huge this deer was....I should have tried to take a pic with my phone but I was just sitting there with my jaw wide open. Whoever you are in the maroon F150....I hope you get him...I assume that is why you are putting so much time in..... 

• Like 3

Well this was one crazy hunt and bitter sweet..but dang not complaining...I went to the blind at 5:30 with plans of beating everyone...nope pushed deer going down and just as I got to the blind the neighbors swamp went wild snorting at me...so I got out the grunt tube and grunted every so many steps until I got to the blind...then I took a heavy stick and beat the crud out of a bush at base of ladder..I'll tell  therest in the harvest thread...but here he is:

Edited by growalot
  • Like 17

Well this was one crazy hunt and bitter sweet..but dang not complaining...I went to the blind at 5:30 with planns of beating everyone...nope pushed deer going down and just as I got to the blind the neighbors swamp went wild snorting at me...so I got out the grunt tube and grunted aevery so many steps until I got to the blind...then I took a heavy stick and beat the crud out of a bush at base of ladder..I tell rest in the harvest thread...but here he is:

good job hanging in there.

• Like 2

Thank you guys..what a difference  this one 105 hanging and the bow 174 hanging....So I'm going to be honest...this ones was sorta much more enjoyable to have gotten...and he doesn't smell bad and I think will taste great...Though bitter sweet..would have liked to see how he matured..but I don't regret taking him...Especailly after missing that yote 3 X's and way closer than he was :girlumbrage:

• Like 2

Got my first bear in hancock 4w on Sunday at 4pm. Was walking towards me at about 60 yards out. Aimed at his chest with my marlin 44 mag. Squeezed and he dropped where he stood. Turns out I didn't hit his chest at all. Hit him in his eye. No exit hole. Not sure if he dropped his head down as I shot but either way, it's about as lucky as you can get. He only dressed out at 165 but I will absolutely take it. I was an hour hike from camp so I decided to get help and go get him in the morning. Took us half the day to drag him back to camp. What a experience. Going with a half mount. Any tips or recipes for bear?

39 quiet

Got to my stand and notice cam has a green light flashing? WTH! Why the heck would they design that feature? Now any deer that came last this stand last couple days is prob blown off it. Thanks Covert I am not pleased with your cams at all.

This constant wet woods state is wearing on stand hunting. You can not slack for a minute cause you will never hear a deer coming.

It is perfect for still hunting but I only have close stand spots during the work week. By weekend it will be noisy again and poor still hunting!

Done whining for the morn lol!