Using DMP on opening day

Dave

I have seen 4-5 bucks only while hunting, 3 were after doe. The first time I seen it I didn't know that is what was actually going on.[/quote

Does someone have to explain the birds and the bees to you ? Just kidding.

I've never saw a buck hounding a doe. Think I found evidence in the snow today of it but never a buck with nose to the ground. As far as dmp on opening day. Heck ya. Did last two years. This year not. If it's big , doe or buck I'm pulling the trigger. Freezer doesn't complain either way. As the season goes on I see fewer and fewer deer. Even with Frank's hot sauce DMP's still taste like paper when not used

• Like 4

Me ? No. I can shoot a doe most sits. We let young bucks walk and have some real nice ones in the area , that's what I'm after. I took a decent buck in bow and my goal is a much bigger one in gun.

This morning I took a good sized doe as conditions were right, right stand , time of day, close to my car for an easy drag. But I'm fortunate I have a very good spot and tons of time to hunt.

This question varies so much depending on where guys hunt and how much they do.

One guy on the farm took three doe by 9:00 AM today , I know someone else that shot one out the kitchen window .....

Some on here can go days without seeing one.

Edited by Larry302
  • Like 2

Me ? No. I can shoot a doe most sits. We let young bucks walk and have some real nice ones in the area , that's what I'm after. I took a decent buck in bow and my goal is a much bigger one in gun.

This morning I took a good sized doe as conditions were right, right stand , time of day, close to my car for an easy drag. But I'm fortunate I have a very good spot and tons of time to hunt.

This question varies so much depending on where guys hunt and how much they do.

One guy on the farm took three doe by 9:00 AM today , I know someone else that shot one out the kitchen window .....

Some on here can go days without seeing one.

yup, well said.

I usually let the does walk on opening day in hopes of seeing a buck. They seem to get a lot more cautious after the opening day blasting.

I am in 4F and usually have no problem seeing does. Having said that, last year I almost ended up with tag soup. I only got my two does on the second to last and last day of muzzleloader season. That was a little to close.

This year I shot a doe on monday morning after seeing a group of them when I went out to feed my horses. They have been hanging out in my neighbors field for weeks now, but now they came to close to the fenceline. The neighbor is okay with me shooting one close to the line.

So now I won't have to think about if I shoot a doe or let her walk. It is buck only now.

Fill them whenever a legal oppurtunity presents itself!  personally id rather fill them early before they are bred. Plus an archery harvest is a great experience in itself. this may make for better rut action as well, depending on your herd #s. But obviously we never know when we are going to fill a tag. so if not filled by gun season, ill tag as many as i have tags for and what my freezer can handle. 

I want a good sized doe, so I will wait until an appropriate one comes along . sometimes that is in the first 5 minutes of the season, sometimes the last 5 minutes.

If there aren't a lot of does around though, I will wait( I am in the woods year round, and run game cameras year round so I have a good idea of the population)...bucks follow does, so I will leave them to increase my likelihood of seeing a buck.

Depends on conditions.  This year was the first time my son was in a double with me.  I planned to shoot if a doe came by just for the experience for him and an unlucky doe did come by.  First time I have shot a doe opening day.  Usually I wait for a buck that never shows.  lol

• Like 1

I actually had a buck chasing a doe around me a few weeks ago, could I have waited for the buck? sure....but killed the first one that gave me a shot...the doe, no regrets whatsoever.

Like I said, if you're content with that then that's cool. But I can't count the times I've heard hunters whine about only seeing doe and shooting the first one they see.

Some of you need to bow hunt more. You have such a better understanding of deer even when they don't come in range. It wasn't till I started bow hunting that I saw chasing, fighting, bucks with their tails tucked between their legs, doe looking over their shoulder, doe blowing at bucks, bucks actually herding doe back into cover to breed, scrape making etc.

It's rare to see any of this when the guns go off. You really have to understand how deer work to be successful.

Edited by Belo
  • Like 1

Some of you need to bow hunt more. You have such a better understanding of deer even when they don't come in range. It wasn't till I started bow hunting that I saw chasing, fighting, bucks with their tails tucked between their legs, doe looking over their shoulder, doe blowing at bucks, bucks actually herding doe back into cover to breed, scrape making etc.

It's rare to see any of this when the guns go off. You really have to understand how deer work to be successful.

oh, I bow hunt...the doe I described was taken with the bow. I consider myself fairly knowledgeable when it comes to deer hunting, and I do enjoy the show, but like I said, I was never really consumed with antlers..... 

I have never planned on using my DMP's opening day. I hunt real hard for bucks and like to try and get that taken care of before I shoot a doe. Plus I like to get with a couple buddies the last couple weeks of the season and have "management days" where we all go out together to places that we have been seeing lots of does and try to get a couple....Sit first and last light and do some drives, it's a lot of fun.

However, I am changing my tune a little. Before I would never shoot a doe during bow but now I have no problem doing so if a chip shot presents itself the first 2 weeks of bow. And as far as gun, I would only shoot a doe opening weekend if it was last light and a large doe comes into range that doesn't appear to be getting run by a buck. I did shoot a doe Monday afternoon after work, and that was by far the earliest in the season I have ever done so.

For me, it depends. I have a DMP tag this year and I may not fill it at all. I got a doe and a 5pt during bow and a 8pt on opening day. Right now I am just glad my DMP tag is allowing me to enjoy the woods and hang out with the guys. There have been several years thought where I would gladly shoot a doe at 7:15 on opening morning....

My time to take a buck is during archery season ,for me personally, I don't feel the same sence of accomplishment doing it with a gun. Therefore gun season is to fill the freezer. There is no right or wrong way to plan what order to take deer,whatever way YOU want is the right way.