What will deer hunting look like in the future

Doc

Ive got a bad feeling about this. Hunting in the future will be less than joyful i would imagine. Not sure how are why, but this state and its bs overnight laws, and money they try to grab.. to me it doesnt look good.  even though if they left us alone they would probably make more off of us from not trying to control us.

I , mostly, agree with Four Seasons, but I know that it won't change  significantly in my lifetime. Through the years,  I have had many conversations with non hunters about hunting, many of which were not generated by me. Many of those conversations are with conservatives, some of whom are pretty far right. I was surprised at their opinion of hunting and how they think that it's not really sporting. I realize that this, in reality, it is just from a few people, but it was enough to make me take note of lack of support for hunters. I found it odd that they would find such sport in fishing, and not in hunting. For about the last 20 years I have been interested in opinions about hunting and OFTEN read articles from hunters as well as anti hunters about their opinions and their actions in support of and opposition to hunting.

I brought up something that was going on by anti hunters once on this forum  and was criticized for it so I never brought up anything like that again.

I  think most are underestimating the greed of politicians. Although some politicians may put a good front to try and stop hunting, while under the table they are working deals to ensure it survival. Why would they rid a sport that lines alot of their pockets finacially. Its a multi million dollar industry. In addition,  i find most every non hunter i talk to is either intrigued or very curious about hunting. I work in Manhattan and most every non hunter thats asks about hunting is all for it, to a point where everytime i make a batch of venison jerky or dry sausage i have to bring some into the office  for them to try. Mind you this is in the Times square area of NYC and i have yet to meet an anti. I have spoken to many non hunters that were misinformed or clueless about hunting but were also more than eagar to listen to what i had to say. Thats coming from city folk that have no hunting what so ever in their background. There was one woman that was so intrigued about shooting, that she went to range to try her hands on different guns and countless others ask for packages of venison. Dont beleive everything you hear, hunting is strong and very much alive. People are going back to nature to experience the simpler things in life.

• Like 5

NYBowhunter. I didn't want to give the impression that I was paranoid about hunting, and I am glad that you don't run into anti's in Manhattan.

I worked in Manhattan, but it was in the 70's, and in NYC thru the 90's, and I have had similar experiences involving interested non hunters who were not anti. However, I did run into a number of anti hunters. After I retired (19 years ago) for some reason I came across more anti's. They were not a majority , but there are  a number of them.

I was told in the 60's that we'd lose our guns and never believed it even to this day. I also think that there will be hunting for many reasons including the financial end which you pointed put. I just beleve that hunting is on the decline and that hunters should not be infighting(antis never in fight), and we should be informed.

However, I have seen too many changes to ignore what  I observe. For example.. Loss of waterfowl hunting in ALL of Huntington waters, caused by anti hunting feelings because of a hunter's actions.  Town ordinances which negatively  effect waterfowl hunting. Closing of many areas where I used to hunt because of land use. A united front of anti hunters against specific types of hunting, for example, The squirrel slam, Predator contests, etc..... The coining of the phrase "canned hunts" by antis to cause anger against legitimate hunting related legal operations which service gun owners who , for there own reasons, want to frequent High Fenced Hunts. There are many other reasons, but there isn't enough space and do not want to create any discussion that will cause bitter discussions.

Our numbers are dropping , the average age of a hunter is late 40's and trending higher .

Access to land is shrinking daily .

100 years ? IDK how many quilting bees do we have today ?

• Like 1

to hunt NYS land you'll need to pay an extra "use tax" i'm sure.  most will still hunt private land but property size will be much smaller.  any bigger acreage will be hunting clubs or corporate tracts with a locked gate and $$ to hunt and/or enter.  QDM co-ops will be by far more prevalent.  some will still fail and struggle.  others that excel in hunter management, communication, and relations will thrive.

despite i want some form of buck regulation like antler restrictions now, i'd like to think we'd be largely beyond their need by then.  basic aspects of qdm will be common knowledge, thus having some BS naturally sorted out and diffused in a hurry.  we won't need those deer management oriented regulations we'd covet now as much, as they'll be a safety net that rarely catches a body.  others would be probably be the focus.

youth and new hunter programs and opportunity will be more prevalent then a half ass'd youth weekend.  to one extreme, maybe we'd even have off limits public land to use as proving grounds and for education for only them.

all in all hunting will be just as enjoyable, but different just as it has changed this past century.  there will always be battles to fight to keep it alive, but no doom and gloom in sight for me.

I predict we'll be on the European model by then....guns will be basically outlawed, you would have to sign in at the local police station to get your rifle or shotgun, shells will be counted out upon check-in and check-out. Citizens with private land and the rich will be the only ones allowed to participate. Poachers and outlaws will still have bows. Public land will be closed to only the most regulated animal-control hunts, and in more populated areas, government officials will cull the wildlife population if it gets out of control.

I would like to think I am wrong, but as the country grows more diverse and liberal, that is what I see coming down the road.

• Like 2

I will buy 1 more bow in my lifetime... I have the guns I need... I might buy a crossbow for my future years... other than that.. I will hunt them the exact way I do now.... once I get my property to retire too... then live there... I will live out my time hunting this way... 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NYBowhunter said:

I  think most are underestimating the greed of politicians. Although some politicians may put a good front to try and stop hunting, while under the table they are working deals to ensure it survival. Why would they rid a sport that lines alot of their pockets finacially. Its a multi million dollar industry. In addition,  i find most every non hunter i talk to is either intrigued or very curious about hunting. I work in Manhattan and most every non hunter thats asks about hunting is all for it, to a point where everytime i make a batch of venison jerky or dry sausage i have to bring some into the office  for them to try. Mind you this is in the Times square area of NYC and i have yet to meet an anti. I have spoken to many non hunters that were misinformed or clueless about hunting but were also more than eagar to listen to what i had to say. Thats coming from city folk that have no hunting what so ever in their background. There was one woman that was so intrigued about shooting, that she went to range to try her hands on different guns and countless others ask for packages of venison. Dont beleive everything you hear, hunting is strong and very much alive. People are going back to nature to experience the simpler things in life.

for the local QDMA branch i'm associated with, we have educational displays within a booth at fairs in each NY county we represent.  i was just at the Saratoga county fair on Saturday.  i had just as many non-hunters stop and be very engaged asking questions about deer biology, ecology, hunting them, etc.  they often pay attention the most.  i had 3 groups come through that were thinking they'd take up hunting soon.  range of reasons why.  i get hazed at work if i don't bring in venison for some period of time.  snack sticks and jerky are a favorite.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

Look at the schools and the teachers for the big decline in any hunting related growth. Even in this area now they downplay hunting and killing. Now add in the gun problems of the world and you have negative after negative. Your state parks will be used by the paying campers and bird watchers. 

Wow.  I took my hunter safety course from one of my high school teachers.  A different teacher took myself and other students rabbit hunting and fishing as we didn't have cars or boats.  Any large group like teachers, or hunters, will have misinformed members, or just members with contrary beliefs.  

I am grateful for the outdoor opportunities we have in NYS.  Hopefully I will have a few more decades to enjoy them and I think the future is bright.  Land access is a growing problem for hunters, maybe the biggest problem.  When I was younger we worked a couple of weekends in exchange for landowner permission to hunt.  Now I own my own hunting land, I am not wealthy but I made it a priority.  I deal with trespassers.  A few people have asked permission but never once has anyone offered to help out.  I think lots of landowners would be open to such an arrangement.

jperch

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dbHunterNY said:

for the local QDMA branch i'm associated with, we have educational displays within a booth at fairs in each NY county we represent.  i was just at the Saratoga county fair on Saturday.  i had just as many non-hunters stop and be very engaged asking questions about deer biology, ecology, hunting them, etc.  they often pay attention the most.  i had 3 groups come through that were thinking they'd take up hunting soon.  range of reasons why.  i get hazed at work if i don't bring in venison for some period of time.  snack sticks and jerky are a favorite.

Thats exactly the reaction i get from people inside and outside the office, from meeting parents at  kids baseball games to people in my office to everyday life. They are all intrigued and engaging when it comes to deer hunting and eating venison. Knock on wood, not once have i met an anti, atleast not any that have acknowledged they were anti-hunting. 

The deer are here to stay..... unless some catastrophic environmental disaster occurs. So maybe in 100 years hunting will be done with a drone operated device, which deer will learn to outsmart by hiding in deep thickets during deer season. Hunters will complain about the lack of deer while numbers stay stable.  :)

8 hours ago, Four Season Whitetails said:

There will be no state lands to hunt because the Anti's will win in due time. Their numbers go up as ours go down. There will be hunting only on big blocks of private lands and it will cost plenty to enjoy and many will be large fenced area

I could not indicate a "like" on this response because it would not be a result that I would truly "like". However, I do agree with most of what is predicted here. I think that we will be evolving toward a European style of hunting that will be very heavily regulated and likely remove a lot of the harvest freedoms and decisions that today we are still able to make for ourselves.

I also believe that public lands will be dominated by non hunting activities. It will probably not be turned into that by anti-hunters, because actually being outdoors and directly interfacing with nature is not really their thing. But the hikers and bikers and  other organized groups of non-hunting outdoor people will begin to push hunters off of public lands.

And yes, landowners will begin to reap the benefits of what they own with super expensive lease rates and pay-to-play hunting arrangements that will put hunting into an activity primarily for the wealthy.

I also believe that hunting will fade out along with hunter numbers as a method of game management to be replaced by some future scientific advancements in selective reproduction controls, and a heavy emphasis focusing on population control for those that remain in hunting. I am guessing that weapons used will not be limited in any way other than to favor heavy deer takes. Likely it will be one season, any weapon, with ever expanding bag limits until the anti-deer economic forces dictate when the deer population is suitable for their financial activities.

• Like 1