Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

I only haf 45 minutes this afternoon and decided to go right into the oak flat close to the dirt road. I have been seeing deer in there every time i walked out of the woods after dark. I saw some deer as i was trying to find a good ambush position,about 80 yds off. They saw me too and just meandered away. Then i worked my way in a little further and spooked two more deer mildly. No one snorted. There are a lot of young beech trees in that area as well,can't see shit through those. Then it got dark and i headed back to the truck, i was only 3/8 of a mile away and spooked another deer headed for the acorns. They are really hitting those hard here in Central New York.

5 hours ago, Papist said:

Well, this happened at about 10 am this morning. I made a shockingly bad shot that turned out to be shockingly devastating and mortal.

I am converted to Swhackers though. Those things are formidable and deadly.

Glamour shots and full story later when I get cleaned up and back from the processors 

8 Points, looks like a 3 year old by the teeth.

NOV_06_2017_SMALL01.jpg

NOV_06_2017_SMALL02.jpg

NOV_06_2017_SMALL03.jpg

Great looking buck Papist!

• Like 1

Well no luck for me yet. Still have a few days left here. Weather drops into the 20s tonight so that should help. But check out this monster my old man dropped in Kansas.
58b25b77d56cdbb31d3bf3ab8a9ddcf4.jpg
My parents moved back to Kansas this past winter. He walked across the street to a 250acre farm and asked the old lady who owns it if he could hunt there. She said yes and that she normally doesn’t ever let anyone hunt but since they are neighbors no problem. He said he put up 2 cameras a couple weeks ago and has 6 bucks all over 150. This one he shot was the 2nd biggest. My old boss at the outfit I worked for in KS gave it a quick measure and he says it’s 165 being conservative. Could possibly break into B&C, will know for sure once the taxidermist gets his hands on it. 270 pounds dressed weight also! What a awesome buck.

• Like 29

5 hours ago, Papist said:

Well, this happened at about 10 am this morning. I made a shockingly bad shot that turned out to be shockingly devastating and mortal.

Glamour shots and full story later when I get cleaned up and back from the processors 

NOV_06_2017_SMALL01.jpg

NOV_06_2017_SMALL02.jpg

NOV_06_2017_SMALL03.jpg

What a slammer!  Great buck Papist!!

4 minutes ago, Adkhunter1590 said:

Well no luck for me yet. Still have a few days left here. Weather drops into the 20s tonight so that should help. But check out this monster my old man dropped in Kansas.
58b25b77d56cdbb31d3bf3ab8a9ddcf4.jpg
My parents moved back to Kansas this past winter. He walked across the street to a 250acre farm and asked the old lady who owns it if he could hunt there. She said yes and that she normally doesn’t ever let anyone hunt but since they are neighbors no problem. He said he put up 2 cameras a couple weeks ago and has 6 bucks all over 150. This one he shot was the 2nd biggest. My old boss at the outfit I worked for in KS gave it a quick measure and he says it’s 165 being conservative. Could possibly break into B&C, will know for sure once the taxidermist gets his hands on it. 270 pounds dressed weight also! What a awesome buck.

Holy hell what a buck! Congrats to your old man

• Like 1

NOV_06_2017_SMALL01.thumb.jpg.6da2b7353f5b51f2088ad69363f82a7d.jpg
NOV_06_2017_SMALL02.thumb.jpg.af773f8600e5df5653f28e01cedc6293.jpg
NOV_06_2017_SMALL03.thumb.jpg.33f11594e5fa25e427ea1643ce181c16.jpg
Great Buck Papist, congratulations!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

But they don't move during these hours as I've read it here that guys are never successful in that time:pleasantry:

I may avoid "live from the woods' thread as all it does when they are moving hard is pizz me off   Every year I say I'll get a bow and don't   Then, gun season starts and nada for the rut for the most part

At the very least get a crossbow. Missing out on the best time of year. Bowhunting is so great. It's warmer, more action and the crossbow season is dead right in the rut. You'll love it. 

Well finally had a shooter come through . 70 yards down wind, he stood there eating leaves off a bush for 15 minutes at last light . Tried to grunt him in but he showed ZERO interest . 

All tomorrow . 

I am so around a big buck. One of the properties I hunt has a big nine and a nice 8 and guess what the other property I hunt a lot has a big 9 and a nice 8!  Keep getting trail cam pics of them even in daylight some. I think tonite one of the nice bucks was in the field but it got dark and some does came thru and they all were gone. Had does right under the stand just about and thought they might be my decoys

Can't wait til tomorrow. Perfect wind for my hottest stand in the rut. 

34 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I am so around a big buck. One of the properties I hunt has a big nine and a nice 8 and guess what the other property I hunt a lot has a big 9 and a nice 8!  Keep getting trail cam pics of them even in daylight some. I think tonite one of the nice bucks was in the field but it got dark and some does came thru and they all were gone. Had does right under the stand just about and thought they might be my decoys

Can't wait til tomorrow. Perfect wind for my hottest stand in the rut. 

Good luck tomorrow,get a big one! I am not sure when i will ne able to get out next,but hope it is soon! I have nothing on my scorecard...

• Thanks 1

58b25b77d56cdbb31d3bf3ab8a9ddcf4.jpg&key=5f66c6b596c0aaadd3f38cbb87b56a247cedcdae3010cf3fc949ee617fa7b8e5

Awesome. The Midwest is a whole other word compared to my area of NY when it comes to whitetail hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Papist said:

NOV_06_2017_SMALL01.jpg

NOV_06_2017_SMALL02.jpg

NOV_06_2017_SMALL03.jpg

Congratulations on a great buck!  When it's meant to be, it's awesome!

Did an afternoon sit with a hunting buddy. Except for a squirrel, neither of us saw anything. Wind was goofy; was supposed to get less windy as the day went on, instead it got more windy. We will see what the drop in temperature brings tomorrow morning. I will be out solo, so just half a day. With the coyotes that have moved into the area, I don't like hunting late in the day by myself as I don't like the idea of tracking or field dressing a deer in the dark.