Live From The Woods 2017 edition!

WNYBuckHunter

This has been a crazy weather season so far for sure.  Too warm early, monsoon rains last Sunday, and too cold today.   UP until this afternoon, after a day in the NZ with my crossbow, 2 days up there with my ML, 3 with my rifle, and 2 days back home with my crossbow, I had only seen (3) deer and all were way out of range for the weapon I carried.  Finally this afternoon at my folks place in zone 9F, a fat 2-1/2 year old busted-up 5 point became the first deer to offer me a shot this season, with my crossbow.   He took off after I shot, but I thought I heard him crash.  I said a quick prayer, that I could find him before dark.  The Man upstairs came thru for us again, and I saw the buck's white belly and tail hair laying at the other side of the woods (about 40 yards away), before I even looked for the blood trail.   It looks like there is a lot of meat on this one, but a doe or two would help see us thru until next year, so I will probably try and work on my (4) DMP's tomorrow and Sunday.  I had a feeling it might be needed tonight, so I threw the cargo carrier on the back of my wife's minivan before driving over there.  That was my third antlered buck with my crossbow, over 4 seasons, but I have yet to take a shot at an antlerless deer with it.  IT looks like there are two hunting days left for me this year to make it happen.          

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 6

After seeing deer all week, I finally got a shot at my first deer, a nice doe, and grazed her chest.  Specks of fat and some white fur present, but no blood.  Bolt hit base of a tree maybe 12" off the ground.  I shot off a piece of downfall from the ground near last light. 

She was on the move and stutter-stepped at 16 yards when I called.  In hindsight, I rushed the shot and likely dropped the point of aim while tracking the sight right to left.  Live and learn.  Bummed to miss my first deer, but thrilled it won't be a slow and painful death for her.  Back out tomorrow to try again.

9 hours ago, crappyice said:

Damn that's tight-5'?!?!? Just bring a ladder!!! Must be cool as hell when they do bust in on you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree...  I imagine it would be cool as hell.  Didn't get that experience today, so I don't yet know.  Ha...  6.5 hours in, no deer seen.  I think I should have played the high pine line on a different spot today.  Does were probably bedded down until the wind died down.

Instead of a ladder, I brought my hand climber seat (seat only) because I knew I would likely be up in a short pine.  Strapped the seat around the tree and used the lower branches to climb up a bit.  Froze once I was above the brush line.  Toughed it out until a little after sunset though.  Killer spot (thanks to @grampy for putting me on to it), just picked the wrong day.

• Like 1

I'm in the same boat.  Didn't sleep much.  My best stand is on a powerline, but there is an excavation crew working there during the week.  My brother thinks they parked one of the excavators about 45 yards from my stand.  It will just sit there until Monday morning, but I was debating whether it would spook the deer.  It's a farm, so they're used to tractors. 

Don't know. My second best option is a stand I put up on sign in the hardwoods, and I never hunt the hardwoods.  I'll go in early and see what my gut tells me as well.

• Like 1

Well, yesterday was a bust.  Only had a few hours of daylight down in Whitney Point area after my last scan of the week.  

Today is it. 17 degrees w a light wind.  Surgery at o dark 30 Monday and tomorrow prepping for it means my season will end today. Got to get her done. 

Won't be posting from my stand. It's simply too damn cold. I've never killed one with a bow or crossbow when it's this cold. Let's hope calmer conditions get them moving. 

20 F,  light SE winds with a fresh dusting of snow on the ground here in 8M Livingston Co.   A great day to be in the deer woods, and ahhh to hear the footsteps of a buck coming on those crunchy leaves!  Good luck to all today.   I'm heading out to move a stand and see what's going on in the woods.

>>>------------->

6 hours ago, Cattcounty said:

I can't sleep because I'm pumped to hunt in the morning. I'm just trying to figure out what stand to get in. I guess I will have to go with whatever my gut tells me in the morning 

I am sort of thankful that I will not have a problem with that decision this morning.  Normally, I do not hunt the same stand on consecutive hunts, but I must have left the draw pulley device on the upper deck of the two-story blind over at my folks place yesterday afternoon.   I used it there to redraw my crossbow after putting a bolt thru a fat 5-pointer (about 10 minutes before sunset), just in case a finishing shot was required.  I was planning on trying to fill a dmp today and now I know where I need to go.  Fortunately, my little entry level 300 fps crossbow is not overly difficult to draw by hand, without the pulley device in case it is lost.   I always seem to loose something when I kill a deer in the late afternoon and don't finish gutting them until after it is dark.           

• Like 1

I knew it was going to be a loud crunchy walk to the stand so in extra early to hopefully not spook anything off in the distance heading this way...in stand by 5:20...now the trick will be staying warm for an all early sit, but hopefully it won't be needed. Going to be a beautiful day in the deer woods...Good Luck all!

• Like 1