bigpaul

Broken Antlers

To start off I'm pumped, I just shot my biggest Buck.  He's a mid 140" 9 point with a broken right main beam.  Possibly a 10th point broke off with it?  I'll never know.  Do I get it fixed?  Do I add a 10th point?  Do I leave it the way I shot it?  

I say leave it the way you found it. 

True story.  Shot nice 8pt few yr ago.  He died slamming antler first into a oak tree. The sound of him hitting that tree will never leave me.  His broke up antlers were at the base of the tree.  Ended up being a 5 pt.   

Leave it unless he broke it off after the shot and you found it

• Like 1

I find a duck's opinion of me is very much influenced by whether or not I have bread

-Mitch Hedberg

Leave it unless it happened after kill.  When I was young my father shot a big 10 pt that fell out of the truck when we taking it out and slammed its rack against pavement breaking 2 tines.  those the taxidermist fixed.

14 minutes ago, Bowshotmuzzleloader said:

Its your deer and your the only one that needs to be happy with it....

Dont follow the leader be the leader..

Thats it!

Do whatever makes YOU happy. You will look at that mount more than anyone else. 

I would say it's a matter of personal choice. I know some that have had broken tines replace, and a very good job done by taxidermist. Others leave the rack like they found it. 

If it's repaired however, I don't believe it can be entered in the NYBBC. book.

I am planning on having the 2 tines that were broke off of the rack of the buck I shot last season, replaced by the taxidermist. I have multiple pictures of his rack before they were broken off, so the taxi will have an easy time recreating them. I dont really care what anyone thinks about it, its how I want the mount to look, and its not a book buck so no biggie. If I didnt have pictures, Id leave it busted up, as the recreated tines would just be a guess.

• Like 2

LEAVE IT, unless it broke after the shot. Remember the buck exactly how he was when you killed him. You can always put a trail cam pic next to the mount of what he looked before breaking off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"The sportsman lives his life vicariously. For he secretly yearns to have lived before, in a simpler time. A time when his love for the land, water, fish and wildlife would be more than just part of his life. It would be his state of mind."

Shot a 9 pointer this past year that would have been a 10 but was missing a brow tine. Also his right G-4 was broken half-way leaving the bottom inch or so.

I'm having the taxidermist fix the G-4, but not the missing brow tine as that would change what I tagged.

I don't care about somebody giving me grief about it. My shot, my living room wall. 

MyNine2017.JPG

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

LEAVE IT, unless it broke after the shot. Remember the buck exactly how he was when you killed him. You can always put a trail cam pic next to the mount of what he looked before breaking off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ive had one fixed and I remember exactly what it looked like when I shot it and also the whole scenario of events of taking the deer..

Silly to think fixing it would make me forget ...

56 minutes ago, landtracdeerhunter said:

I would say it's a matter of personal choice. I know some that have had broken tines replace, and a very good job done by taxidermist. Others leave the rack like they found it. 

If it's repaired however, I don't believe it can be entered in the NYBBC. book.

I had mine scored before it was repaired and is in the book ...

24 minutes ago, Real World Hunter said:

Would prob not shoot a buck busted up but if i did i may get a tine fixed if i had history with the buck but never go as far as beam and tine,    Wonder what the Op ever ended up doing?

How it should be a personal choice...

Some hunters may not ever have the opportunity to pass on a broken buck just because its broken and like myself I didn’t know till after shooting the buck...

Not repairing for me was never an option and have never had anyone in all these years say why did you have that fixed as I always point out the repair, until you are faced with the situation, do it based on what you want, not what others tell you to do..Gheesh pretty darn simple thinking ...

• Like 1

I'd get 'em fixed.

While I was at it, maybe I'd add a 6" drop tine on each side.., and maybe reconstruct some split brows... forked G-3's are always cool..., and probably go with a dozen or so kickers and stickers off the bases to add some mass and make actual scoring a bit more challenging for anyone that doubts the number I've stuck on him!.

I'd definitely be keeping an eye out on ebay too for any albino capes that came up for auction as well.

I can hear the neighbors bitchin' already....."where the hell does he kill all these awesome bucks, and how come I never even get a trail cam pic of any of them... he must be baiting them",lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

View my nature photos @

http://www.pbase.com/wooly

Busted up just means you shot the buck that never backed down - the toughest buck in the woods.  Nothing wrong with that.  Or, it could mean the weakest buck in the woods that every other buck picked on.  I will stick with the former.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, wooly said:

I'd get 'em fixed.

While I was at it, maybe I'd add a 6" drop tine on each side.., and maybe reconstruct some split brows... forked G-3's are always cool..., and probably go with a dozen or so kickers and stickers off the bases to add some mass and make actual scoring a bit more challenging for anyone that doubts the number I've stuck on him!.

I'd definitely be keeping an eye out on ebay too for any albino capes that came up for auction as well.

I can hear the neighbors bitchin' already....."where the hell does he kill all these awesome bucks, and how come I never even get a trail cam pic of any of them... he must be baiting them",lol

Way easier than waiting for an albino with 6" drops, split brows, forked G3s and a dozen kickers (all with mass).

• Haha 1