Tis the season-COUNTY FAIRS!

airedale

Not too many things I enjoy more than spending an afternoon at one of the many County Fairs we have going on in this state during the summer. "Rural folks" my kind of people! The smells, the food, machinery, the animals, exhibits and attractions make for a fun time. One year me and the wife in the months of July and August and hit the Oswego, Oneida, Jefferson, Otsego, Lewis, Cayuga, Madison, Herkimer and Broome and State fairs, I must have gained 10 pounds eating fair food in that stretch.

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 2

We enjoy the dutchess every year. 4h milkshakes are a must.

Hit the Columbia County fair last year and did not love it. Seemed seedy which I was real disappointed about. Usually I like seedy but not so much when my family is involved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I used to love going to fairs. Growing up, the Fonda Fair the was closest, and we would go 2 or three times each year.

Been to the Cobleskill Fair a few times, Saratoga twice, the State Fair in Syracuse once for a concert ( maybe twice, it was a concert, I was young, n'uff said ), and the Altamont Fair once. Wife keeps bugging me to go to the Big E.

I don't really enjoy the rides anymore, but some of the shows are cool and the food is almost always great.

The first Summer the wife and I were together, we went to the 2009 Renaissance Festival in Sterling NY. I didn't care much for that. Food was OK at best, some of the shows were good, others not so much. The only thing that made the 4 hour drive somewhat worth it to me was the busty women in period costumes showing off a ton a cleavage. 

• Like 1

Orange County, absolute septic tank.

I’ll do you one better...worse I guess!
The Westchester county fair is downright dangerous. Every year reports of gang violence and crime flow from the Yonkers Raceway where it is(or maybe was-not sure it still happens) held. My father took my sister and I MANY moons ago and I only remember being forced to leave when it got dark...why do I live here?!?!?

• Like 1

Went to Genesee County fair last week. Today starts the Orleans County, Next week is Niagara County. Fit Wyoming County Fair in there somewhere; then it's the Erie County Fair. State starts the week after.  I always enjoy the conservation  buildings. Get to talk to some pretty interesting people. Can't miss the Fowlers taffy, fried dough, waffles,  Kevin's kettle corn, and the ever famous Banana on a stick. I hear the deep fried Twinkies  and Oreo's are good too. 

34 minutes ago, crappyice said:

The Westchester county fair is downright dangerous. Every year reports of gang violence and crime flow from the Yonkers Raceway where it is(or maybe was-not sure it still happens) held. My father took my sister and I MANY moons ago and I only remember being forced to leave when it got dark...why do I live here?!?!?

Its a shame for sure.  I always say I was born WAYYYY too far south, even though everywhere has bad spots.

We have the Altamont Fair just minutes away, but it's only a shell of what it used to be. Haven't gone in years.

The Cobleskill fair is a little farther away, but it's much more "country". We usually go to this one.

The NYS fair in Syracuse, has it all, as far as shows, attractions, foods and most everything you could find at a fair. We go to this one most years too.

• Like 1

Personally don’t enjoy them. Erie county fair is big and only 30 min away. But bad over priced food, crappy warm beer and unsafe rides just does not do it for me.

Last time I went there was well over 12 years ago and it was only for the demolition derby which I must say was cool.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Erie county fair is usually August 9-22 or so. When the fairs over , summer is over is what we say around here. Nothing like overpriced lousy food. We haven’t gone in years. 

we say the same for the NYS fair in Syracuse - it ends the summer.   We always complain when people start talking fair in early summer - cause it means summer is over cause its during the labor day weekend ... lol 

The state one I usually go to every few years. Not big on crowds so that keeps me away.  And all i do anyway is walk around, look at stuff and eat.  

Spent the evening at the Orleans County Fair. It's a small fair with a strong  farm- country oriented theme. Talked to some old friends from the area. A very nice display in the conservation building. Talked to a nice gentleman about trapping.  Had a nice skull and fur display. Tried my skill on the backhoe. Lift three objects out of a hole without touching the edge making an alarm go off.  Had a lot of fun at " I Got It" game. Everybody won a nice prize.This is what a lot of the county fairs use to be years ago.  The price is right to at $7 a car load. 

• Like 2

I go to the Columbia county Fair every yr.  Been going for 53 yrs.  Only missed the 4 yrs in the mid to late 70's when Dad got transferred to Ohio.  

It's definitely gone downhill in the past 10-15  yrs. But everytime I go I become a kid again. Lots of great memories. 

My wife and I really enjoy the Mass state fair the " Big E".  

But many of the town fairs in Westchester are great. I went to the Italian food festival one in Ossining last weekend actually.

I grew up going to the Altamont Fair in Albany county but it has really gone down hill in the last 10 to 15 years. Today we went to the Saratoga County Fair for the first time and I thought it was great. Reminded me of the Altamont Fair of my youth. Had a great midway of rides for the kids and had a real large area dedicated to the agriculture, farm animals, 4H, environmental,  outdoors sporting stuff, etc. Definitely will be going back next year. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MPHunter said:

I grew up going to the Altamont Fair in Albany county but it has really gone down hill in the last 10 to 15 years. Today we went to the Saratoga County Fair for the first time and I thought it was great. Reminded me of the Altamont Fair of my youth. Had a great midway of rides for the kids and had a real large area dedicated to the agriculture, farm animals, 4H, environmental,  outdoors sporting stuff, etc. Definitely will be going back next year. 

i would've been there and you might have met me but i was out of town. We have the our QDMA deer booth there every year. we have much bigger and better setups with mounts at Washington County and Schaghticoke Fairs. For it's size it's a nice fair.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, GreeneHunter said:

We usually go to the Schaghticoke Fair  !  Just don't drink the water !   LOL

This year the QDMA will have a small building with local deer mounts from recently taken bucks if not all from this past season.  I'll probably be there a bit.  It'd be cool to have members of this forum stop on in if i'm around.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i would've been there and you might have met me but i was out of town. We have the our QDMA deer booth there every year. we have much bigger and better setups with mounts at Washington County and Schaghticoke Fairs. For it's size it's a nice fair.

Cool! We did check out the QDMA display but I don't think anyone was manning it when we were there. We might have to make it up to Schaghticoke this year too! 

• Like 1