Newbie member and hunter

TrailcamTom

Hello,

I’ve been a long-time follower of this forum but this is my first time posting. I’m quite new to hunting, and I'm looking forward to learning even more than I already have from you all! With a background in statistics I used to help my family in predicting deer activity using trail cams and I’m finally getting the courage to get out. I’ve been recreationally blogging about using my approach to stats so feel free to message me and I’ll be more than happy to chat and help where I can!

• Like 9

Welcome!  So glad you decided to join us!  So many really good hunters here, that are willing to help someone get started on their hunting journey!  And we can learn from you too! Just pull up a seat and join right in!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

TrailcamTom, do you have your hunting license?  Will you be hunting with firearm, bow or both?  Hunting public or private property?  Looking for a mentor or learn as you go? Mostly deer hunting?  What part of the state will you be hunting?

Just a little more info can help us, help you.

• Thanks 1

@grampy I appreciate the questions, and thanks for being patient! Not yet, I'm about to get my course started. Hunting with a bow and plan to hunt on public lands. I'm going to learn as I go for this season. A few members have already reached out via messages, which has been really helpful. Yep, deer will be my main target. As I've been reading, much of the hunting in NY is in the North, as it's a bit of a trip for me, I'm going to limit the distance to about 2-3 hours driving (from White Plains) although it may be a bit optimistic.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TrailcamTom said:

@grampy I appreciate the questions, and thanks for being patient! Not yet, I'm about to get my course started. Hunting with a bow and plan to hunt on public lands. I'm going to learn as I go for this season. A few members have already reached out via messages, which has been really helpful. Yep, deer will be my main target. As I've been reading, much of the hunting in NY is in the North, as it's a bit of a trip for me, I'm going to limit the distance to about 2-3 hours driving (from White Plains) although it may be a bit optimistic.

Awesome!!  Bow on public land, can be done! And so rewarding!  Challenging?  Sure, but not impossible at all. We are here for you!  You will have a bunch of questions, no doubt, so ask away as they come to you.  Would be great to see you succeed this fall!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Welcome aboard, if your interested we have a deer hunting seminar at Suffolk Archers.  Come on down we would love to have you!    August 19th.  Free!   Tracking, shot placement, calling, tree stand safety are some of the things we cover. 

Edited by NFA-ADK
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, NFA-ADK said:

Welcome aboard, if your interested we have a deer hunting seminar at Suffolk Archers.  Come one down we would love to have you!    August 19th.  Free!   Tracking, shot placement, calling, tree stand safety are some of the things we cover. 

If I were not so off the charts, crazy busy, I'd love to come down to this!!!  

One of these years I will!!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NFA-ADK said:

Welcome aboard, if your interested we have a deer hunting seminar at Suffolk Archers.  Come one down we would love to have you!    August 19th.  Free!   Tracking, shot placement, calling, tree stand safety are some of the things we cover. 

I too been meaning to come out again just to hang out but we'll see how the schedule goes.  2nd kid is kicking me and my wife's butts.  Couldn't even hunt last year.  Hope to get some days in this year.

• Like 2