Sunset shooting

phillifan22

Hey everyone, so I was sitting in the woods the other day and wondered what the legal sunset/end of shooting time was, and how well I could see at that time. I had never really thought about it before, and have always hunted until I couldn’t tell what an animal was. Turns out, I can usually see for almost a half hour after “sunset”. Since I now hunt on state land, I was wondering who sticks to the official sunset time, or goes until they can’t see, to be willing to take their last shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

27 minutes ago, phillifan22 said:

have always hunted until I couldn’t tell what an animal was

My concern especially during bow season is how much light is available to track a hit deer not whether or not I can see the deer to shoot. Tracking can be difficult in good light and adding darkness to it just makes it more difficult.

Leaving it overnight is an option but in this neck of the woods you run the risk of coyotes getting to it before you.

This topic has been beat to death once before and I am sure it will again.

• Like 4

I hunt to the last minute of legal light. At that time I'm gathering up my stuff, take a long look around, and head out. I'll usually see a deer or two, feeding on the trip out too. So I'll make a note of where I saw them, for future reference. By the time I get to my truck it's dark. 

Have I hunted past legal time when deer were very close? I'll be honest.......yes. Do I always take the shot during that one time or two, this might happen a season? .........no

Have I ever shot, when I could not clearly identify my target?............absolutely not!!!  Have I ever done it while a new or young hunter was with me?..........absolutely not.

Flame me up! I'm nowhere near perfect. But I'm not laying any BS on ya either.

• Like 7

I think anybody would stay if there was a nice buck coming at you when sunset aka (quiting time) rolled around. If it was standing 13 yards in front of you 5 minutes after legal shooting time specially with a bow you wouldn't take that shot?????? We all know this answer. Then again I would just take a picture and hope he comes back the next day!!!:taunt:

• Like 1

most states are 30 min before and after. I've had some days where I wouldn't have a good visual 5 minutes after sunset and I've hunted others where I could probably hunt 45 minutes after. It depends on the canopy, the weather, snow, moon, field hunting etc.

I think hunters should hunt ethically. And what is ethical is not always legal. For example, dispatching a wounded deer well after legal light. 

• Like 3

I hunt a small low pressure area of 5 acres close to my house i climb up and down from my stands in the dark because in my experience deer will remember what tree they busted you in or see you climb out of lol. Especially those damn mature does. As for shooting before or after legal light that's a personal decision. Certainly not with a gun...

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, philoshop said:

What are all those empty beer cans doing in yer boat? Just kidding. :sorry:

Some fool was littering...I found them floating in the middle of Seneca Lake and picked them up to preserve the pristine environment...

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I'll go along with that if you need a character witness! ;-) My character is always in question, however, and my eyesight is not always so bueno.

I got a new-to-me vehicle that could probably make it all the way down your way to do some squirrel hunting, Let's get together, and drag that Jerry guy from Steuben along. He's a kick. It's always fun to watch three armed humans be outsmarted by a squirrel with a nut in it's mouth. :rofl:

• Like 2

In the ADK I am usually the last into camp, mostly because I am a ways into the woods.  Hard for me to leave a good spot till its not legal, that said once the time is up I am heading out, that last 15-30 minutes of light helps me get close to an exit.  Long Island my buddy would always say stay in the tree till dark but I would not and always met him at the truck.  No deer is worth loosing my hunting rights! 

I don't bust chops of those who do, I understand why they do it just not for me.