Compound bow or crossbow you decide?

First-light

So let's just say the DEC will let you use the crossbow during the traditional bow season. There is a wide range of bowhunters out there. Those that shoot very often to guys who just pick up the bow 3 weeks before season and shoot a hundred arrows and off we go. For those hunters that are not so serious about using a compound bow my question is, will you be switching to a crossbow when DEC makes it legal in NY? This isn't a put-down, I think anyone who goes out with a bow (who practices) is serious but some may want to switch over. Thoughts??? I am a serious bow hunter but limited to the time I get to camp it's usually two 4 day weekends for me, right now my feeling is to stick with the compound bow, I also don't have the bucks to blow on a crossbow. :'(

Personally, it will be a few years before I get a crossbow, and even when I do, I wont be putting the compound down. I love shooting my bow, and love hunting with it.

I would rather see some of the guys that dont practice enough with their vertical bows go over to crossbow so that there is less of a chance of them putting a bad shot on a deer and injuring it.

Compound bow for me.  I too, enjoy bow season very much.  Heck, when gun season opens, I find myself still reaching for the bow.  Just feels right with a compound. I have practiced with my sons crossbow, as he does some hunting in Ohio. Just not the same.  You have to use a special sling to pull it back evenly, and that would be one more thing I have to carry and keep track of.  I have one bow already, which is a small investment and needs maintaining. Don't know for sure, but I would think crossbows would cost more to keep  up to par.  I'm sticking with my reliable compound. 

I have zero interest in a xbow, at this point.  If, in later years my shoulders get worse I guess I could possibly entertain thoughts of looking at one although I don't really believe that it would be all that easy unless you had someone else load/cock the darn thing.  One of the reasons I bow hunt is for the solidarity of it.

Also, the xbow seems like it'd be a bear to work with in a tree stand??

Always be a compound for me unless i cant pull it back then its off to the X-bow.

I however would love to see them given the green light for my wife.

1. she doesnt have the time to practice like i do.

2. I have a serious doubt in my mind if she will be able to pull a bow back at legal weight. Shes 5'9" and weighs in at a whopping 115lbs. I have a youth bow set at 40lbs and she cant draw that. She wont be able to find time to do strength training and practice for a vertical.

Compound for me.  The only thing I might switch over to eventually is a traditional bow of some sorts.  I have no experience with a xbow and see no reason for me to have to gain that experience.  Theres nothing like putting in hard work practicing every possible shot and seeing it all come together in the woods.  I dont have a problem at all with anyone who wants to make the switch I dont see how people toting them in the archery season will have any effect on the my hunting.  Worst case scenario it puts more hunters in the woods enjoying the same passion of pursueing whitetails that I have.  And with a ever declining hunting population is that such a bad thing?

I enjoy shooting my compound and then using it to harvest some meat. The combination of a challenging gained shooting skill and then applying that skill to my hunting makes it the perfect hunting experience. I have no need for a crossbow.

Since it is a traditional archery season, I will stick with my recuve for now. (Just kidding dont let the blood pressure go up) I have no interest in a compound or cross bow.  I hunt very little during archery, and use a muzzleloader of some sort during early ml season and gun season 99 percent of the time.  It will take hold, but I really think the cross bow impact will be minor.  Look more to the young hunter who has not hunted yet with a compound to be more likely to jump on the crossbow band wagon.  Bigger better faster theory.  So far of all the people I have talked to, to include sites like this and face to face, I know of 2 who seriously plan to buy a crossbow. 

Over the weekend, I justed pulled out an old Bear compound bow that my older brother bought when he was a teenager and stashed it in my dad's basement.  $50 to restring it and fix the sights.  The draw length is an inch to long for me but I figure I should put it to some use rather than let it sit in the closet.  That's the only bow I'll have (it's still in the shop) and I'll use it to start practicing.  I have not used a crossbow or a bow but personally, the only reason I would go from rifle to bow is not to extend the season but rather purely for the enjoyment and challenge of shooting a bow.  As a matter of fact, my goal is to start on the compound and graduate to the recurve.  I see no reason why I would go for a crossbow.

at 70 years young I stil;l shoot a few arrow each day with my compound is now set at 55 lbs. I also do play with recurves that I have a total of 5 bows and the max is  4 bow at 50 lbs to a low of 41 lbs for one of the trad bows. But to hunt I sure take the compound with the sight, release, and a fiber optic scope. My number 1 compound bow is a Hoyt bow that is 5 years old with carbon arrows Bemen hunter 400 size with 2 inch Bohning BH vanes, and 100 gr tip or BH. I also have a single F/O pin and it is a slider sight. I use a tru peep in 1/4 size and also have silencers on the bow string. I use a winn loop release. I still can do well in 3D with the young guys, but due to other physical challenges I just shoot 1/2 the course of on the average of 20 targets. I no longer use tree stands and have to use ground blinds.

using a xbow during the archery season just seems wrong. Maybe after a few years of it being legal peoples minds will change but right now I hate to say it but I would be dissappointed if one of my fellow hunters picked up a xbow and hunted with it. I'm proud to be a bow hunter because it is harder then rifle or shotgun.

Compound bow for as long as I can. I would consider the crossbow when and IF the time comes. I have lost bowhunting partners due to problems with their shoulders. My boy G has had four surgeries and suffers greatly. My ortho says  I should start thinking about it for my right shoulder. Who knows what the future holds????

I have several recurves (90% of my bow hunting) and 1 compound. The compound is just plain uninteresting to shoot. Most likely it will go when the crossbow becomes legal, but will still hunt most of the time with the recurve.