Deck paint advice

johnplav

I need to repaint my deck once the weather warms a bit.  Of course this is the only paint the the last owners didn’t leave extra to match.  What kinda paint should I be using??  Wood is in good shape, I plan on pressure washing, minimal sanding then painting over everything.  

05936669-F337-402F-9F0D-6E63E188267E.jpeg

I used cuprinal deck stain on my last 2 decks  reapplying  every 2 years . Avoid the wax type  deck sealers .. they dont hold up and even harder to sand off  to change to a stain. Last summer I rebuilt  deck with composite  decking ... looking forward  to just pressure washing  no fuss no muss.

• Thanks 1

Oh the reason I rebuilt my deck was  the wax sealer failed ... cleaned and sanded it . Still looked terrible  .  We did the deck over crap . Didn't last a full season . Trapped moisture under the paint stuff . Boards rotted . DONT USE A DECK OVER TYPE PRODUCT ! 

• Like 1

As others have said - do not paint! Use a clear or tinted wood preservative - Thompson's, Olympic, Flood, etc.

Also, if you can find it, oil based will last longer than water based. However, I don't believe you can purchase oil based in NYS anymore due to VOC regulations (last summer everything Lowe's and Home Depot carried was water based).

2 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

It helps if you let a new pressure treated deck sit a bit after being built......let's the chemicals wash away and supposedly the stain sets better? Just what I was told by the installer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I was told about the same thing...let the wood sit for a year. After a year,  the wood will be better able to soak up the stain. Worked for me, but after 25+ years of staining, I'm replacing the old boards with composite type boards this summer, unless King Andy says I cannot.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mlammerhirt said:

It helps if you let a new pressure treated deck sit a bit after being built......let's the chemicals wash away and supposedly the stain sets better? Just what I was told by the installer.

It takes a year +- before you can stain a pressure treated deck because many times, the lumber is still wet to the core from the treating process when the deck is built. It has to pretty much dry out completely before any stain, sealer or top coat is applied. Yards typically store PT outside and a lot of time uncovered.

1 hour ago, mlammerhirt said:

Yes I recall this advice.  Wait a year after construction.

• Like 1

What ever you do don't use a deck over stain/paint. I used it on my deck and in two years it is pealing terrible and it traps any moisture that is in the wood and rots it. I am replacing boards that were in perfect shape two years ago. I have a painter in my family and he says he makes his clients sign a waiver that he is not held liable after he puts it down.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, LET EM GROW said:

Well, hope i did it right. My wife wanted color. ITs a Brand new deck, I let the new pressure treated lumber sit/age for about 2 yrs. Pressure washed it well, sanded here needed and just applied deck correct with  color to ours..  

Not sure I would have used deck correct as I assume it at least partially doesn't soak in.  Hope you don't have peeling buddy.   2 year old deck wood is prime for a simple stain/waterproofing following cleaning.  Then again if slow hand got 25 years from his pressure treated deck, listen to him.   lol

I just replaced the deck boards on ours after 10 years with 2 or 3 different stain jobs over than time.  Even then I could have gotten away with only replacing 5-6 boards but I figure I would do it all at once and hopefully have another 10 years without issue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moog5050 said:

Not sure I would have used deck correct as I assume it at least partially doesn't soak in.  Hope you don't have peeling buddy.   2 year old deck wood is prime for a simple stain/waterproofing following cleaning.  Then again if slow hand got 25 years from his pressure treated deck, listen to him.   lol

I just replaced the deck boards on ours after 10 years with 2 or 3 different stain jobs over than time.  Even then I could have gotten away with only replacing 5-6 boards but I figure I would do it all at once and hopefully have another 10 years without issue.

I wanted just simple deck stain but wife insisted and I wasn't fighting. lol. Too much of that lately. Im doing the back deck next spring with just a simple stain.. I guess we will compare. Stuff sure seems rigid and thick textured