Live From The Woods 2020 Turkey Edition

fasteddie

3 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Black flies were annoying yesterday and today between 10-12:00

Hate those bastards.......

Not too bad here.  Damm good thing. Have no idea where my thermacell is.  Last time I used it was in Maine during my cousin's moose hunt.  

10 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

I’ll still be pounding the mattress in the morning while you guys play with birds. Good luck to y’all 

I'm with ya, just not the same mattress.  :negative:.

1 hour ago, Jeremy K said:

Before my dad had kids ,he would hunt state land with his brother in Angelica , they would set up camp on the fire road for the weekend ,  they would go into town after dinner and close the angelica hotel , when they got back to camp he would put his camo on ,grab his bow and sleep at the base of his tree ,when ever he woke up he would climb in his stand and start hunting . 

That’s so, cool !

Alarm went off and I killed it and fell back asleep. Just got up but tired and sore from working outside the rest of the day yesterday. Not feeling it at the moment, but may go for the second half of the morning. Good luck to everyone this morning. Waiting for Bill and Cynthia’s hero shot with the gobbler they knock down in 45 minutes.

1 hour ago, Steuben Jerry said:

Alarm went off and I killed it and fell back asleep. Just got up but tired and sore from working outside the rest of the day yesterday. Not feeling it at the moment, but may go for the second half of the morning. Good luck to everyone this morning. Waiting for Bill and Cynthia’s hero shot with the gobbler they knock down in 45 minutes.

I feel the same way.  I was out before sunrise yesterday, and I did not see or hear any signs of turkey.   Maybe they are more active around here in the late morning.   I have never been much into spring turkey hunting (sort of consider them a "dodo-bird" because they are such a dumb,  clumsy-looking bird).  I do have tags and my wife and kids enjoy the meat.    

The last few years, a couple of  guys have worked the "jungle" adjacent to our farm pretty hard for spring turkeys.  I don't know if they ever got any, and I never heard any shots.  There were a few times when I saw big, fanned-out toms out in field fields, later in the morning while I was working ground on a tractor, long after those hunters left for the day.  

I did hear one shot yesterday, about 15 minutes after sunrise, that sounded like it was about a mile away.   I am going out around 11:00 today, right after the TV church service that we have been catching the last few weeks. I will see how that pre-lunch hour works out.  It is way too wet to do any "real" work out in the fields.                   

Edited by wolc123

Slipped in amongst 10 birds at 330 am only to find out it was 7 hens and 3 jakes all of them within 50 yards and they all pitched down within 10 yards and fed out the ridge.

Now off to troll another couple properties. I was in pa yesterday am and passed up a couple 2 year old birds and some jakes. Holy molley pa needs to put their people back to work. 42 years straight of not missing an opening day of spring gobbler season and yesterday I saw more people and vehicles than the last 20 years combined. Never saw so many people but still only heard 10 shots all morning.
Good luck all.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

A little more concerned today. Friday I played off as in too late, wet morning, birds somewhere else.

But this morning was textbook and the birds aren’t nearby. Even if I’m not in the right spot, I’m usually surrounded by gobbles and only a few so far off in the distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slipped in at 6 am lol alarm at 4am got smacked. I still can’t get up that early for a bird lol.
No turkey sounds at all. In same spot I saw the hens yesterday. Seems like a good spot to waste a couple hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Third day sitting until noon.  I’ve had some exciting moments, but couldn’t seal the deal.  Hunted a new property yesterday and accidentally set up too close to their roost.  I got busted by the gobbler after flydown.  

Two distant birds gobbling until 5:45 this morning.  One hen came in close.  At least the deer aren’t blowing at me.  These deer certainly aren’t practicing social distancing, I could have sneezed on one yesterday.

I’ve enjoyed reading all of your updates over the past few days.  Good luck to all.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

Any yammering going on ? 

One early but a long ways off.  I've had a hen in the field for an hour and the last half hour she hasn't moved a foot. I think my dekes have moved more. She's about 150 away. About halfway from where I was sitting yesterday.  But good to have a live decoy.  Didn't have any Tom's round til like 8 yesterday. 

11 hours ago, Pygmy said:

We had lots of laughs.....Probably did more laughing than turkey hunting..Hehehe..

Moog has hunted with me twice, and both were very slow days turkey wise, but very enjoyable days in the woods.....ONE day soon , hopefully this season, we'll hit them right....

I just wish the big lug would quit trying to KISS me while we're in the blind...

Well stop being so irresistible Dan!

• Haha 2