Quad or tractor

rachunter

I’ve been thinking of getting a quad or tractor for around my house mostly for snow removal,hauling fire wood and gardening. I think a quad would work my brother says tractor.

I saw this little guy on Craigslist,but I don’t know squat about ether machine.

https://longisland.craigslist.org/grd/d/ronkonkoma-kubota-b5100-4x4/7185837414.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tractor , no question ,I have a 7200  . ATV are not really designed for torque,  tractors are it will last your lifetime , a quad if used as a tractor will have a lot more maintenance and you are still lifting objects , with a tractor you do not have ton lift as loader does all the.work just dump you mulch where you want.  . It's a carry all with ATV your buying a trailer that you have to load and unload..  cannot bulk supplies dumped onedrive way and simply scoop up with bucket on tractor, and dump.where you want, with an atv your shovel loading a trailer and unloading with a shovel.... work easier and more efficiently with a tractor

• Like 2

I would go with a tractor but that one is small to use for much besides a lawn tractor , the loader is way to big and the pto  hp is way to low to use for much. Bush hog I would go 5hp per foot and that tractor has 10 pto hp plus Truff tire that is  a yard tractor. Not sure how much firewood you are looking at doing but my l3000 kubota with 32 hp and a loader gets a good work out lifting logs, if just pulling logs you maybe ok but would really think about all the chores you want to do. Mine works great for cleaning my small barn but a lot of the time I wish I had some more power mostly on the loader it’s a give and take.

3 minutes ago, 9jNYstarkOH said:

I would go with a tractor but that one is small to use for much besides a lawn tractor , the loader is way to big and the pto  hp is way to low to use for much. Bush hog I would go 5hp per foot and that tractor has 10 pto hp plus Truff tire that is  a yard tractor. Not sure how much firewood you are looking at doing but my l3000 kubota with 32 hp and a loader gets a good work out lifting logs, if just pulling logs you maybe ok but would really think about all the chores you want to do. Mine works great for cleaning my small barn but a lot of the time I wish I had some more power mostly on the loader it’s a give and take.

Agree 100% .   But one can afford or is comfortable spending only so much.  Is it small, yes. Will it do more than a quad, yes. Is bigger (tractor wise,lol) always better, of course.  I love my JD 3320, but wish I had a size smaller, as well as a size,or two, larger to choose from.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, mowin said:

Agree 100% .   But one can afford or is comfortable spending only so much.  Is it small, yes. Will it do more than a quad, yes. Is bigger (tractor wise,lol) always better, of course.  I love my JD 3320, but wish I had a size smaller, as well as a size,or two, larger to choose from.  

That's why I have 3 plus a lawn tractor..

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, mowin said:

Same here in the barn smaller would  be great lifting bigger would be great every man has to figure out what is the middle ground tractor that fits his needs almost or be g man and buy three which ain’t in my cards now that why I bought mine loader is ok for barn cleaning but a little big to maneuver, backhoe is a little small but keeps a amateur from mess things up to bad. It all a give and take just really think about what chores you need done.

• Like 1

For deer recovery, it depends on the terrain you got to deal with,  Mountains and bridgeless creek/swamp-crossings, quad:

post-5805-0-39765300-1418430564.jpg

I dont have those features at my place, so I don't own a quad.   Thankfully, my dad and father in law have them for me to borrow when I hunt their places.  My dad has a swamp and my father in law has mountains and swamps.

I am always better served with a loader tractor at home: 

post-5805-0-90647000-1419770798.jpg

Edited by wolc123
  • Like 1

Tractor it is now to figure out what size/model,Like I said I have no idea. For fire wood my plan is to start harvesting from the back of my 10 acres and work up to the front. I can ether cut it into rounds or split it right there. For snow it’s mostly my driveway and the road to the back of my property. For gardening it’ll be around the house and small plots in the woods.
Any recommendations on make,model and size. I’m look to stay around the $15,000 mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 10 acres and more of a "around the property" tractor a 30hp would do you good.  Stick with JD, Kubota, Massy, kioti.  Not a Mahindra fan couple friends had them. Electrical issues that for some reason were not covered under warranty. I like JD. The ONLY thing I don't like about JD is they have there own quick attach system to change implements on the loader arms.  The other brands have the universal skid steer style system. You can still get fantastic stuff for the Deere, it just won't fit other tractors. 

You definitely want a loader and forks. If the tractor has 3rd remotes for the loader, a grapple bucket is super handy.  Of course a back blade for grading drive, snow removal. Bush hog.   Oh the list goes on and on....