The Jerkman

LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

had some stuff happen with the wife's surgery being postponed, purely administrative but annoying none the less. Anyhow, gave me a chance to go out this AM and my heart just isn't in it. Coupled with maybe 1 glass of wine too many and a restless sleep. I'm sure I'm not the only bow hunter that feels this way. I lose my drive during gun. I will admit that it's not normally this early. But I'm careful to balance the line between "driven and determined" and "ruining what should be fun" by making it a chore. 

So that's my pontification for the day. Going to head out for the afternoon.

• Like 4

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

had some stuff happen with the wife's surgery being postponed, purely administrative but annoying none the less. Anyhow, gave me a chance to go out this AM and my heart just isn't in it. Coupled with maybe 1 glass of wine too many and a restless sleep. I'm sure I'm not the only bow hunter that feels this way. I lose my drive during gun. I will admit that it's not normally this early. But I'm careful to balance the line between "driven and determined" and "ruining what should be fun" by making it a chore. 

I’m feeling that way and I’m hunting bow. I think it’s just fatigue. I will probably shoot the first non button buck that gives me a shot and take a break for a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

If its any motivation, my cams have been dead for weeks and this morning I had 3 different bucks in minutes (all moments ago) on the same cam.  I assume a hot doe in area, but it can happen anytime.

• Like 5

24 minutes ago, The_Real_TCIII said:

Ive done it more than once, this one was a 1.5 with rifle. I couldnt believe it

just once for me, but I doubt there's many on this board who have hunted for any length of time that haven't done it. It happens. 

"Ethical behavior is doing the right thing when no one else is watching, even when the wrong thing is legal"

-Aldo Leopold 

3 minutes ago, moog5050 said:

If its any motivation, my cams have been dead for weeks and this morning I had 3 different bucks in minutes (all moments ago) on the same cam.  I assume a hot doe in area, but it can happen anytime.

moog there's no doubt in my mind i'll hunt the stand i planned to hunt this am and see nothing. pull the cams and see a nice shooter was there this am. haha

• Like 2

-Aldo Leopold 

1 minute ago, moog5050 said:

Funny you say this, a coworker who hunts about an hour south in 3M, has had a season completely opposite as to what he's used to.  He gets a giant every year, but this year has gone many days of seeing nothing, and has not seen any mature bucks.  He just sent me a pic of a big buck 160 yards out in a field, and is one of the few deer he's seen in a week id say.  

2 minutes ago, Belo said:

just once for me, but I doubt there's many on this board who have hunted for any length of time that haven't done it. It happens. 

yup, 2 buttons and a shed buck for me.   No clue everytime.  Always with gun though.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Belo said:

You and me both ! Not seeing much ( anything ) while my buddies are all shooting slammers , I renew hope , head down, don’t see anything . 

Im going to my farthest spot this afternoon , so if I do get a buck, the drag will be absolutely punishing , seems fitting .

Good luck !

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Belo said:

I'm sure I'm not the only bow hunter that feels this way. I lose my drive during gun. I will admit that it's not normally this early.

I hear so many hunters say that.  I am the complete opposite.  I bow hunt on occasion, but honestly could care less about it.  Put a rifle in my hands and I mean business.  Gun season is where it starts for me.

• Like 2

Harvested a nice doe Sunday PM in 4A hunting from a ground blind. 50yd broadside shot with the .308. Nice shot placement through the heart and lungs. Ran out of sight but I heard the crash - found her within 30yds just before she got into some thick cover. No blood trail that I noticed - was lucky to find her with just the flashlight.

Had tenderloins for dinner last night - she's tasty!

PXL_20201122_214629908.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20201124_011241795.jpg

• Like 33

Been in the woods since 7, in the stand since 8, nada.  Half a mile walk through hardwoods to get to the stand and not a flag or a sound.  I'm just far enough down the hillside that the wind isn't too bad.  Still cold though!

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

I bugged out after 2 hours to get into work. I did have one spike go by about 150 yards out on the neighbors around 8:30am. Felt like a good morning spitting snow, hail or rain off and on lightly and cold.

Here's an old one! Would love to sit down and chat with her. Makes me wonder what percentage of whitetails die of old age

318459542_olddoe.thumb.JPG.7ff034dec83a7435b1186803ca463575.JPG

• Like 3

I’ve been getting lit up since 11 with 1.5 to 3.5 year olds. Assuming a hot doe too

10 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I’ve been getting lit up since 11 with 1.5 to 3.5 year olds. Assuming a hot doe too

Yep.  Tied up today or I would be in a stand there.  Maybe tomorrow 

Passed on 2 spikes this morning, and 1 half rack almost fork horn. The spikes I think were brothers traveling right nose to tail. Very pretty morning to be out. The snow covered fields show the deer were very active overnight. 

Was out this morning in 8g. Hardly any shooting and no deer spotted.

20201124_110942.jpg

20201124_072904.jpg

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

yup, 2 buttons and a shed buck for me.   No clue everytime.  Always with gun though.  

same. it can happen in archery too, but I think at some point you're also deciding to take a pretty small deer (sub 110 lbs) and I think many are less likely to do that during archery and more likely during gun. But the added distance with gun is what makes it hard of course.

• Like 1

-Aldo Leopold 

Yep.  Tied up today or I would be in a stand there.  Maybe tomorrow 

I was planning on going out, but now I’m heading out even earlier now haha. Hopefully can get it on the action

• Like 3

2 hours ago, steve863 said:

I hear so many hunters say that.  I am the complete opposite.  I bow hunt on occasion, but honestly could care less about it.  Put a rifle in my hands and I mean business.  Gun season is where it starts for me.

I used to be too when I was younger. Then as my passion for bow grew, gun season became more "deer camp" fun. Usually, I also have a nice buck so it's like extra innings. I enjoy gun for what it is, just as much as I enjoy archery for what it is and I don't think anyone's passion is right or wrong. We all hunt for different reasons. As chef mentioned there's some fatigue. I'm at 20+ sits with a bunch of other crap going on in my life and that early morning alarm clock and bone chilling cold become less appetizing. 

No matter why and what season you like, it's always important that you don't make it a chore... I guess that was my main point. 

• Like 3

-Aldo Leopold 

Spotted four does bedding from my ground blind. Okay, cool, I know where they are. 

This afternoon, I decided to leave them alone in case I bothered them and walked to my main stand. Came across a large track which passed within two feet of my stand  naturally, when I was saying, “hey look, does!” 

I’m beginning to take this personally.

Edited by left field

Well with any luck , I’ll be dragging a buck out from the far corner of this WW field .

Good thing I fixed the hot tub last night .....

6C1DEDEF-566B-456A-8D8B-FEF9456ED47C.jpeg