How to handle this situation

regulat0r

Hi all. I’ll try to keep this brief but would like some advice as how to best respond to this situation...

I have permission to hunt a very large farm and surrounding property which is almost 400 acres of land. There are several other guys who have also been hunting the property for many years. We are not friends per se but do communicate by text occasionally. Throughout the years it has come to be that each of us have specific areas of the property that we each tend to stay in and it has never been a problem. Some guys like to hunt stands on the edge of the corn fields while I prefer to be deep into the hard woods. 

one of the guys who hunts the field edges sent out a text saying he was thinking about putting in a few food plots in the fields and was discussing taking up a collection of money from all the guys. I don’t want to come across as a cheap a$$ but I also don’t want to pay money to a guy to put a plot in right in front of his stands while I’m 200-300 yards away. Of course the argument could be made that plots will “bring deer to the general area”. Like I said we are not necessarily friends and I don’t want to bring up the complicated process of determining who gets to hunt over the plots and when. 

should I chip in some money to “bring deer into the area” or should I say I don’t hunt the fields so I’m not interested? 

As long as the price is fair and i could afford it, i would pitch in. Especially if it is your only private access.

Private land is increasingly difficult to come by and it sounds like you have a pretty ideal situation. Keeping the peace and permission for a few hundred dollars seems reasonable even if you don't feel the plots will benefit you. 

• Like 1

Just to keep the peace, on a good private hunting spot, would be worth a sum that you can afford. If your spot in the hardwoods, is between the proposed plots and bedding. It very well could be a bonus to you? For one or two hundred bucks, and you don't have to do anything?? A no brainer I think.

Food plots are often a great place to kill deer, but the deer don't just drop in on them from the air! They have to get there somehow. I have my own plots in NY, and I (and friends) shoot deer over them, but other deer are shot 2,3, or 400 yards away as they head in the direction of the plots.

I don't hunt over food plots in Pa., but most of the deer I shoot and see there are heading to my cousin's "food plots" -large 20-100 acre ag fields that are over seeded with cover crops,  not necessarily for deer hunting but for erosion control-the hunting is a bonus! 

It sure will help your hunting anywhere on the property-but I agree, if $$ is on the line time for a talk about where people will be hunting, what crops, etc.

Edited by Will_C
Spelling

Economically Speaking ( if there is such a thing ) perhaps the group should setup a " Putting in the Food Plot Weekend " where everyone brings something .... tiller , bags of seed , Tools , Labor , Fertilizer !   In the spring naturally ! Multiple small food plots ...   10 x 10 .... spread out might be more beneficial !

Just voice your concern , explain like you did to us about everyone having "their" own area and yours is in the woods , see if they offer up the chance to get another set out to benefit from the plots. Either way I'd probably be chipping in if you want to keep peace amongst the guys who hunt there. 

• Like 2

You should, it will benefit all if the plots are done correctly.  Don't just throw money at them, ask what are thier plans, testing soil,  what are they planting (plant what other properties don't offer), will they lime and fertilize based upon the test results. Do they even have the equipment needed to put in a plot? Being 200 to 300 yards off a plot can be a gold mine, if you catch them staging up by you before they enter the plots or if you catch deer coming off the plots going to bed. What till plots go in and then see where deer travel. You don't need to be on the plot to kill deer.  I have 6 plots on 40 acres, I benefit from my neighbors for bedding areas and they benefit from my plots. I'm around alot of ag (corn), so i plant alot of ladino clover to provide something different and also the turkeys love clover as well and at times I will plant brassicas. All of our biggest bucks were never killed over a plot,  some immature bucks yes, but not the big boys.  

Edited by NYBowhunter

49 minutes ago, GreeneHunter said:

Economically Speaking ( if there is such a thing ) perhaps the group should setup a " Putting in the Food Plot Weekend " where everyone brings something .... tiller , bags of seed , Tools , Labor , Fertilizer !   In the spring naturally ! Multiple small food plots ...   10 x 10 .... spread out might be more beneficial !

10 x 10 plots would get chewed to the ground in my area. 1/2 acre to 2 acre plots are ideal and several at that.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jeremy K said:

Just voice your concern , explain like you did to us about everyone having "their" own area and yours is in the woods , see if they offer up the chance to get another set out to benefit from the plots. Either way I'd probably be chipping in if you want to keep peace amongst the guys who hunt there. 

I wouldn't say anything, just do it. Guarantee you benefit more by being in the woods. Use the travel routes to and from the plots to your advantage. Skirt the plots as far off as you can when you enter in the morning and setup where you catch them coming off the plots at first light. Just make sure the plots are done correctly or like anything else your just throwing your money out the window.. Win win!!!

I would do it, especially if it's a negligible amount and I would not make it complicated or a big issue with many stipulations. Pitch the money in, let it happen then after a good relationship and foundation is established between the parties involved then expand and build on it. The access is worth more then say a fourth of this project is ...so the money is no brainer even if you indirectly benefit.

• Like 1

One of the things I might look into is the why and how. 

Does this person have the ability or relationship with the farmer/landowner to get that done?

My personal experience has been in these situations where common users start to go down this path - people don't always agree/align and it heads down the path of someone consolidating access, either via leasing or improving the 1:1 relationship with the decision maker / farmer / owner.

My suggestion is to get on the same page or get a back up plan.

• Like 1