LIVE From The Woods 2021 Stories And Pictures Let's Have Em!

grampy

6 minutes ago, turkeyfeathers said:

:popcorn3:

deer seasons over.Let the shenanigans aka disputes begin

Begin????

They've begun already!!!!

For the most part, I'm trying to just tune it all out, and keep with the positive. 

• Like 4

You can tell alot of ppl didn't get ther bucks/goals this season. Everyone has blue balls here. Sheesh.
Not my best season ever but I punched a tag and had a blast. Even after the annoying neighbor BS that continues, I let it bother me overnight and now I'm back to level. I suggest everyone do the same.
As to the measuring contests - obviously Law has knocked down some good ones, probably one of the most consistent mature buck hunters and deer killers on this forum or NY. More importantly he really is a nice guy and a fellow .243 fan.
I have met The HH once before at his hunting partner's house whom I know better. I'm going to say this to provide general context and respect privacy as much as humanly possible - don't underestimate or overestimate people's ability or walls based on their posts.
Both are great hunters. Maybe different strategies/mindsets, etc. but both are great and we should all learn the best from each person here.

I shouldn’t have made the comment about a measuring contest, it was childish. Law’s comments about my hunting morals struck a cord that I shouldn’t have let it.

No idea about his background but he apparently has the respect of some members on here that I respect so I’m willing to eat some humble pie and acknowledge my poor response.

Totally agree on judging. Most of the best hunters I know in NY never talk or share their kills outside their small circle of friends.

It’s 2022 and time to move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Biz-R-OWorld said:

There’s a thread on this. I tagged you. But yea we thought 2.5 based on appearance and teeth were obviously not 1.5. Fawn / 1.5 / 2.5+ is simple using teeth but beyond that molar wear isn’t very accurate. DEC biologists said 3.5, I thought no way. Deerage slice came back 3.5.

I’d say my Dad has 10-15 3.5+ bucks between 105-115”. He’s never killed over 115” in 3N. We are aging every single one going forward. This year his 95” was 4.5

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Very interesting .

• Like 2

As for gutting, most times it's done in the field right away. But sometimes, we will get the deer to the hanging/skinning shed and gut it there. But it's always done asap. That works for me. Have had to retrieve deer left overnight on rare occasions. And the neat was fine.

20211205_171905.thumb.jpg.95866e14945c9e5be9d8964484230e29.jpg

Gutting this year's buck with my partners help.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I shouldn’t have made the comment about a measuring contest, it was childish. Law’s comments about my hunting morals struck a cord that I shouldn’t have let it.

No idea about his background but he apparently has the respect of some members on here that I respect so I’m willing to eat some humble pie and acknowledge my poor response.

Totally agree on judging. Most of the best hunters I know in NY never talk or share their kills outside their small circle of friends.

Youd love him, I promise. Ive never met anyone from this site I dont now consider a friend actually. The BS stays online

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, grampy said:

As for gutting, most times it's done in the field right away. But sometimes, we will get the deer to the hanging/skinning shed and gut it there. But it's always done asap. That works for me. Have had to retrieve deer left overnight on rare occasions. And the neat was fine.

20211205_171905.thumb.jpg.95866e14945c9e5be9d8964484230e29.jpg

Gutting this year's buck with my partners help.

We've largely moved to gutting after hanging here in NY. Mostly because we use equipment to aid the process...UTV or tractor...to the truck, and then up on the electric hoist. Gut into a can and process. remnants all get loaded out back to the bone pile via the tractor. My back hates gutting deer on the ground now after two surgeries. It's one of the more difficult tasks for me to do so I do anything to avoid it. Hanging allows me to work standing up for the most part.

When we go out of state, we've largely resorted to hanging/gutting off a tree and processing right then and there. Gutless method is something we're looking into, as well for out of state.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, phade said:

You can tell alot of ppl didn't get ther bucks/goals this season. Everyone has blue balls here. Sheesh.

Not my best season ever but I punched a tag and had a blast. Even after the annoying neighbor BS that continues, I let it bother me overnight and now I'm back to level. I suggest everyone do the same.

As to the measuring contests - obviously Law has knocked down some good ones, probably one of the most consistent mature buck hunters and deer killers on this forum or NY. More importantly he really is a nice guy and a fellow .243 fan.

I have met The HH once before at his hunting partner's house whom I know better. I'm going to say this to provide general context and respect privacy as much as humanly possible - don't underestimate or overestimate people's ability or walls based on their posts.

Both are great hunters. Maybe different strategies/mindsets, etc. but both are great and we should all learn the best from each person here.

Well said. Agree with your sentiments 100%.

Occasionally , even people we have respect for say foolish things(in our minds,anyways).lol

Hug and move on!

I received a survey from the DEC on lead shot, bullets. Asked me all kinds of question. There was a section that dealt with gutting a deer and where the gut pile ends up. It actually asked if I would be willing to bury the gut pile so other animals couldn't eat it. The concern was lead fragments. 

1 hour ago, Four Seasons said:

Sorry Billy. No schooling needed on this end. Sorry I don’t keep bone and have not kept a beard the last couple. Just like Whitetails. 2 tags givin 2 tags filled yearly. 

B6E12638-C3F7-4950-AD48-AD95AF5AC06B.jpeg

FF143FDD-3162-422B-95B5-CC70AEA25E24.jpeg

I call for a Turk-off between FSW and Bill. It would prob break the forum.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

He came off as a condescending know it all dick. Or maybe I’m just a soft Karen now.

And thanks… definitely put more work into that deer than any other one and was out most days looking for tracks and other sign trying to pattern him.

The funny thing is out of the 7 deer I killed in NY this year, only that doe didn’t get gutted and one stupid picture that wasn’t even meant to get into that sparked all this. Vast majority of my deer get gutted, only special situations don’t and New Year’s Eve with the doe was one of those where I felt fine leaving it over night. It’s not like I made some post on here telling everyone to leave the guts in their deer and it was a great method.

What are the special circumstances? I think you’ve lost just about everyone on this one man. You say you normally guy them all right away, but then argue it doesn’t matter because they don’t do that down south (which is false btw)?

Ok-- I have heard enough Alfa Talk from you + The Hornhunter. I know your response is for Just Lucky above.
  Again - come May you + Mr. Hornhunter should definitely  let those 2 Year old Gobblers walk. 1" Spurs are just beneath  you both. 
   Shoot only Gobblers that have Spurs in excess of 1 1/2"s.  If it is all about the Antlers- then it must also be all about the Spurs.
  Wait-- I can School Ya if you need advice. Looky below! And if you have a set longer, we all would love to view them. 
  Now hopefully-- we can all enjoy 2022 and move on.
20220103_003002.thumb.jpg.0944627cc8c990bc3c024b788be66cfa.jpg

We get it, you’re big into turkey. This conversation has everything to do with whitetails and nothing to do with turkeys.

Nobody took the bait the first time, so drop it. Hunting turkey and deer are apples and oranges.

• Haha 1

I'm trying to think of a situation that has ever come up where not gutting the deer before leaving the woods with it was the best course of action. I got nothing.
Or immediately after,the processing is one thing but leaving the guts in? You have no idea what's going on in there. 

I’ve done it once. It was right before the rut and a doe I shot was right off the wheeler path. I hiked back, threw her on the wheeler and gutted her back behind the house as I didn’t want to draw more stink and predators to the spot.

In this situation we’re talking maybe 30 minutes extra though.

20 minutes ago, Robhuntandfish said:

I call for a Turk-off between FSW and Bill. It would prob break the forum.

Lol. It’s really not a tough game to master them turkeys. Not sure why Bill thinks it’s like this overly hard thing to do. Smart bird no doubt but the human brain will always be smarter. Hell ole bill might be hunting some of the bloodlines off my farm. I let DEC in to trap birds twice back prob 7-8 years ago now. They really are a vermin when their numbers get high. They had a blast ripping into our Ag bags and spoiling lots of good feed in the process. Now I just feed them and the deer all winter to keep them away from the buildings. 

55 minutes ago, TheHornHunter said:

I don't think there is an active forum member who hasn't at least once had it out on the forum with one or multiple other members on a topic. So it'll roll off like water on a duck's back for the most part.

This forum does seem to prefer the more open sharing of details and info, pics, etc. For largely positive reasons to celebrate wins, camaraderie, and to learn from experiences. That said, the best practice (to me) seems to be either end of the spectrum - open book sharing or just don't share any personal points/results while sticking strictly to points of conversation. Being in the middle, sharing some or flashes ends up causing issue - IE your doe photo but without context of the gutting. Been there, done that. I'm working toward the latter practice...not there yet fully, but getting there. In full transparency, I am absolutely floored you are posting photos at all. Kudos to you for participating. You'll need to figure out what works best for you.

All that said, there are several awesome members here which is why I try to still participate.

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, blackbeltbill said:

I am probably 3rd most Hated now after 4Seasons + Hornhunter.

Or in a tie for 3rd with Dirt time.

Usually  Bored Belo quotes me non stop after Deer Season. The day is Young.

Listen pal, don't make me bust out the quotes on you! I can and will resort to behaving like a 3 year old with the best of 'em! :bb::newrussian::laugh:

• Haha 2

Seems to me the original people involved hashed it out. So #letsmoveon

And HornHunter as much as Bill would like to move himself on another whatever fictional list he has going. Your not hated. Many of us appreciate your input, and I'm saying that as a guy that has fished and enjoyed a beer with Lawdwaz. It was a disagreement, nothing more. Nothing to see here.  Happy hunting all in 2022. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Sorry Billy. No schooling needed on this end. Sorry I don’t keep bone and have not kept a beard the last couple. Just like Whitetails. 2 tags givin 2 tags filled yearly. 
B6E12638-C3F7-4950-AD48-AD95AF5AC06B.thumb.jpeg.48a423eb27fb9b0f6a85136dc0f4e8af.jpeg
FF143FDD-3162-422B-95B5-CC70AEA25E24.thumb.jpeg.159db4a95c7cbfcae0054f04992d14a1.jpeg

I must ask…are these yours or a friend iof a friend?!?
Hahaha…New New Year!!!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I am probably 3rd most Hated now after 4Seasons + Hornhunter.
 Or in a tie for 3rd with Dirt time.
  Usually  Bored Belo quotes me non stop after Deer Season. The day is Young.

Versatile and myself are right up there with you

• Like 2