Shotguns..

Robhuntandfish

My buddy wants to buy one shotgun to use for ducks but also turkey. Any suggestions? He is leaning 20 g. Also is there any issue with the same gun running steel shot and turkey loads? He doesn't want to spend a lot either and doesn't care if it's pump or semi.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Just now, The_Real_TCIII said:

I cant say it enough!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You can, and I think the third time was just boosting post count while beating the dead horse. Sounds like another guy here.

There should be no issue using steel shot and other shot in the same barrel.

• Like 1

Rob... I would not  discount a 20 gauge with some of the modern loads for turkey,  but for ducks and geese with  AFFORDABLE  nontoxic shot, I still would not want to go with less than a 3" 12 gauge....  I'm talking steel shot for the ducks, not that stuff that cost $5 a shell...   I'd tell him to buy a 3" 12 gauge and use  steel for waterfowl and  whatever patterns best for turkeys...

• Like 1

I have a Remington 870 in 12ga., most versatile weapon I own in my opinion.
Interchangeable barrels, choke tubes and many shot/slug configurations available..easy on a budget and one can add "goodies" as they are able. 

If I had two do it over again I’d hunt everything with an 870,but I’m to deep into it now. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

I have a 12ga. Browning Pump Shotgun and I use it for both turkey and ducks, geese, etc.  Camo finish and bullet proof.  As a Lefty, I appreciate the bottom ejection.  I do wish mine had a tapped receiver so I could mount and unmount a red dot scope, that’s why I am looking at other turkey shotguns.  But I’m in no hurry, probably going to stick with it for this season.  

• Like 1

You can, and I think the third time was just boosting post count while beating the dead horse. Sounds like another guy here.

There should be no issue using steel shot and other shot in the same barrel.

That or I hit reply and it triple posted

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a Remington V3 for ducks/upland birds, but I use my Mossberg for turkey. That's only because the Mossberg is set up with a truglo red dot. If I was going to get a 20 gauge for both Id want to go with an SX4. Not sure what his budget is, but that seems to be one of the best out there. If he needs to be more budget minded, Id go with a Mossberg 500 or some Mossberg pump. 

• Like 1

I use a Remington 887 nitro mag for all things small game. It's a 12ga pump and takes 2 3/4 to 3 1/2 shells. It's been in all sorts of weather, but the barrel is wrapped, so it's essentially weather proof. It's was less than $350 new, but that was probably 6 or 7 years ago. Never had an issue with it and have used it on squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, duck, goose, turkey.

• Like 1

Mossberg 500 (series) I've used one for years (brand new $84 in 1977) I didn't buy the varichoke but barrels were$15 apiece so I bought 'em all including the 50cal black powder barrel (shoots fine out to 120 yds.) I've used for ducks and geese in all kinds of weather  It took a swim with me in Barnegat Bay in Jersey...the water was shallow enough that it was an easy retrieve.  Shook the water out and it still worked flawlessly  I went home dissesembled of all the parts, washed the whole thing in hot soapy water and reoiled everything  I still shoot it 40+ years later (first time everytime.  It'll shoot 3" magnums and 2&3/4 shells in the same magazine. I like the top tang safety (ergonomically smarter, I'm a lefty so it's just easier.  Also it kills everything dead.. I've taken deer, rabbits, pheasants fox, coyote, turkeys etc. I have 5 other shotguns  (Fox s/s, Daley O/U, an 870, Browning auto and 2 others) and the Mossberg is by far the most reliable and deadly shotgun I've every used.  You can't hurt it and it ALWAYS fires,if it didn't you can use it like a club. The only issue I ever had was a worn out magazine spring.

Word of warming those 3 &1/2 in cannons sound nice until you actually HAVE TO SHOOT it a couple of times.  Recoil is horrendous. My neighbor took shots at a turkey with it...got the turkey but broke his collarbone cause he was up against a tree.

Whatever you get enjoy and be safe

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otto said:

I have a 12ga. Browning Pump Shotgun and I use it for both turkey and ducks, geese, etc.  Camo finish and bullet proof.  As a Lefty, I appreciate the bottom ejection.  I do wish mine had a tapped receiver so I could mount and unmount a red dot scope, that’s why I am looking at other turkey shotguns.  But I’m in no hurry, probably going to stick with it for this season.  

You just gave me an idea Otto.  My grandpa’s old 16ga Ithaca model 37 pump has bottom eject and a tapped receiver with a Weaver 1.5x scope.  It has a cylinder bore deerslayer barrel on it now, but I also have an unused, 26” modified-choke barrel for it.  

Pygmy wants me to use my 12 Gauge Remington 870 for turkeys, but I wanted to try my .410 Winchester single shot.  

Maybe I will compromise, and use the 16 gauge, for the first one anyhow.  A big advantage there, is that I have a bunch of ammo for it (boxes of high-brass lead 7.5’s, 6’s, 4’s, and 2’s). 

I also have lots of slugs for it, so getting it sighted back in for deer after turkey season is no issue.  it’s about time to pull that slug barrel and give it a good inspection anyhow.

I killed a nice buck with it, out of my new tree blind on grandpa’s old farm last year, so maybe I can kill a turkey from that same blind with it this spring.  It will be fun patterning it, with that scope, and maybe drawing some blood with the unused barrel.  Hopefully, I won’t have to clean the snow off the scope lenses first, like I had to for the buck.
0D2F3F2F-B1E5-4522-9118-0DE1BFF2F206.thumb.jpeg.aa6f53190a4bec3613ae1bf9c84aecde.jpeg

Question for Buckmaster:  What is you estimate on effective turkey kill range for scoped 26” modified-choke 16 gauge high-brass 2-3/4” lead and what shot size do you think would be best ?

My guess is 25 yards with # 4’s. 

If he wants to spend money and like how a gunnlooks and feels the browning bps is a great all around shotgun,

if he wants range and tight patterns in a heavier platform the mosberg 835 is by far the best turkey goose gun , that you don't mind knocking around and picking up out of the mud.

• Like 3