When will you start your all days sits?

nybuckboy

With bow season around the corner many of us have a plan to hunt the season. Some will hunt afternoon only... some of us will do some  am and some pm hunts but eventually most of us will attempt a few all days sits. Some will complete a few all day sits as well. What is season plan and why?

I personally cant wait to get out in the woods.  I plan on doing all day hunts weather sitting in a tree stand or stalking on foot.  If its an am or pm hunt ill throw up a stand and be in it before light ready and waiting.  However I enjoy brushing up on my stalking skills getting used to moving slow in the woods again and controlling my form and muscles required to hold the bow all day.  All day hunts can prove to be very rewarding in many different ways.  Its not always about just getting the deer.  Enjoy the time in the woods because you never know what direction life is gonna take you and you may find yourself having a hard time finding time to hunt! ex: my fiancé is prego!

Other than opening day of gun season, I never put in all-day hunts. I hunt for a few hours in the morning and then strategically wander around doing a little scouting just to see what's going on that I didn't think was going on. The in the afternoon, I take another sit-down til quitting time.

I get bored easily so sitting in one spot never does hold my attention. Opening day, with hunters moving all day, there is a little more intensity and the boredom just never takes ahold. Of course the periodic shooting always keeps me pretty alert too. I've tried all-day bow-hunts, and it always results in just a nice long nap at some point.....ha-ha. I might better be up and moving and learning and updating my scouting.

• Like 3

All day sit on opening of deer rifle season and that's about it for me. As Doc says, I can get a little bored sitting all day. I do the morning, head to camp for late breakfast, take a nap, do a chore or two around camp, then head out for PM sit. No doubt missed out on a few deer, but not out there to kill myself.

I'm getting deer on my trail cam at all hours of the day and night (probably because it's raining acorns in front of my stand) so I'll probably sit all day right from the start and see what happens. Turkeys are coming in right around 3:30pm almost everyday too so that might be too tempting to pass up. Even if I get a bird I could stash it somewhere and wait the rest of the evening out for deer. Plus it's way easier to hunt all day in early bow season because we've all been waiting almost 9 months for it!!!

Around Oct 24th. Prior to that I'll sit a few hours am and pm, maybe scout a new area. All day sits can be very rewarding and I've seen and taken some nice bucks mid day.

The stand should be a good funnel stand which one has a lot of faith in. A comfy stand, super warm n dry cloths, binos, a good lunch, h20 and patience make for an enjoyable day.

I never do all day sits.  If I missed seeing a few deer because I didn't sit all day, so be it.  I think many people who do these all day sits become bug eyed, cold, bored and un-attentive by about 11AM, that they will probably miss seeing any deer that might sneak by anyway.  Best thing to do is to take a break, have lunch, maybe a nap, and you'll be refreshed for the afternoon.

• Like 1

I think it all depends on the person. Myself, i wont sit all day with the bow untill the mature bucks are on their feet all day. Its a tough sit to go dark to dark. Hunting both ends of the state i never sit all day here on the farm because something that needs to be done pulls me away but on my trips down state between Trick Or Treat and opening of shotgun, the deer dictate.

I will get to a stand before sunrise and sit until close to noon . Then I will get down do some walking and get the circulation going and grab something to eat and drink from my vehicle . Then about 1 pm it's time to head for the evening stand to sit until close to dark . When I sit for a length of time I get groggy and want to nap . Gotta stand up and stretch .

Of course if I get lucky and get a deer early am , this all changes ! :rolleyes:

Real easy answer to this one for me.

I wont sit all day until I see bucks running does.

That doesn't mean one buck casually following a doe or group of doe.

It doesn't mean a buck stuck his nose up a doe's rear end and she hopped in a thicket, and he jumped in after her.

It means when I see multiple bucks chasing the same or separate doe 90mph through the timber grunting his nuts off. It eventually happens every year, and is hard to miss.

Usually once I see this, there is a 3 day window before bucks get locked down and the woods get real quiet again here. These are the days you can fall 20 feet out of your tree.., you just brush yourself off, and tuck your bones back in, and climb back up,lol

• Like 2

All days sits take alot of planning and effort, despite the fact you're sitting.

I've actually moved from sitting the same stand all day to sitting the right stands all day. People magically think a funnel stand is great dark to dark, but deer are still deer. I prefer looking for a doe bedding area in the a.m., a trail between doe bedding areas (funnel) around 9 or so and then make the move for the afternoon sit. Sounds like alot of movement, but I've come to learn that fear at that time of the year is not as realized as many think. At that point in time, you are no longer playing the game for a certain buck (still possible) but rather the odds of bucks moving from bedding to bedding or checking a food source for receptive does. You are playing the numbers game. On November 4th, a hunting partner shot high into a solid 140 inch buck, a short amount of checking for blood led to an overnight wait, where we pounded the place for hours upon hours on Nov 5th until we confirmed that he likely was hit high and survived. None of us even remotely thought to hunt that spot Nov. 6th because we all thought the same thing that no buck will be in there with what we just did. I have about 5-10 pics of our 170" target buck running a doe ragged through there all freaking morning. That buck hadn't been through there at all beforehand and didn't care we were there before. He was pushing the doe and that's what bucks do at that time of year.

I will mostly do morning and evening sits. I work from home and can hunt out back or a couple other spots within 5 miles. I get out every possible day but have to actually do some work!!

If the deer activity is good I stay longer. Most I might do is 4 or 5 hours unless as someone said above the bucks are running all over.

Most sits I do are 2 to 3 hours.

I could not sit or want to sit dark to dark. I want to enjoy myself not make it a job.

When hunting mature bucks I cant think of one thing that matters more than time spent in the woods. It simply increases your probability of getting a shot. As long as you do it smart. I typically hunt all day sits all season long except for the occasional half day hunts due to family matters. With my stressful life there is nothing that makes me feel better than being in the woods. I enjoy every minute.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

AM and PM until November rut then dark to dark.. Same with rifle dark to dark.

I am fortunate to hunt private land with a  couple ladder stands on it in locations I picked so during either the cold days of November or rifle season I can get out of one stand and slowly stalk to another stand to warm up and not get bored and then makes sitting in the woods all day that much easier.  I don't get as much time as I would like in the woods so have to maximize every minute.