What kind of hunter are you?

Five Seasons

94 members have voted

1. 1. What Kind of Hunter are you?

• Hardcore
    • Passionate, but it doesn't consume me
    • Weekend warrior and fair weather
    • Casual. I may go out once or twice a season

Just because I hunt nearly every day...get up at 4am and out the door by 5...will go out if need be and track at midnight...doesn't make me an addict! ;)

You just keep on telling yourself you aren't an addict, growie. 

Uh huh.........................:)

• Like 1

It is a very subjective question. I bought land to deer hunt on, spent a good amount of money, for me anyway. Plant a food plot every year, apple trees, set stands, etc.

A non hunter would look at me like a die hard ,hardcore, fanatic.

Truth is, if I shoot a deer I am happy. If not, the usual. lol.

• Like 1

I have gone through the hardcore phase, and now that I am approaching an age where I have to slow down a bit, I do have to treat it more like a casual hobby that serves the purpose of recreation rather than a frantic, rabid, activity that has to have top priority 24/7.

I used to be hardcore before all the posting and leasing of land knocked a lot of hunters out of the game.  I still take a week off for bow season and sit dark to dark trying for a 3 year old and up buck. Weekends I mix my time between bow hunting and going to the races and watching football.

Just hasn't been the same since my father died even though it has been several years. The hunters being so selfish has taken a lot out of me too. The most fun I have every year is taking kids and first timers out and putting them on deer, and enjoying their moment with them. I already have a date with two young women for a repeat of last year even though one of them is too old and has to wait to shoot during the regular season.

It makes me feel good that young women are comfortable enough around me to call and ask to go again. It is not always easy to reach teenagers in this age of electronics and cell phones.

• Like 5

Be aware that this poll may be sampling primarily more dedicated hunters than the general deer hunting population. Polls like this taken within a hunting forum may contain more respondents that more leaning toward the more dedicated side of hunting. So as a gage of member attitudes it might be quite representative, but as a gage of hunters in general, it may not be.

• Like 4

I used to be hardcore before all the posting and leasing of land knocked a lot of hunters out of the game.  I still take a week off for bow season and sit dark to dark trying for a 3 year old and up buck. Weekends I mix my time between bow hunting and going to the races and watching football.

Just hasn't been the same since my father died even though it has been several years. The hunters being so selfish has taken a lot out of me too. The most fun I have every year is taking kids and first timers out and putting them on deer, and enjoying their moment with them. I already have a date with two young women for a repeat of last year even though one of them is too old and has to wait to shoot during the regular season.

It makes me feel good that young women are comfortable enough around me to call and ask to go again. It is not always easy to reach teenagers in this age of electronics and cell phones.

You gotta get out our way for a hunt with us.

The kind that decides to go to breakfast in freezing rain 15 min before a monster buck walks by the scrape I was hunting and poses for a camera. 

I like to think I am hardcore, but I was indeed froze out that morning. Nothing worse than 33 degree freezing rain. Even hardcore people slip up once in a while. At least the steak and eggs were good.

• Like 1

In my younger days I was definitely Hard core. Back then I hunted everything. Upland in the early season 3 or 4 days a week. A few weeks later water fowl almost every day. Then Deer almost every day. By the end of the hunting season my guns and gear would be filthy and my face and finger tips would be red and cracked. Now its just deer and spring turkey. I still get out way more than most of my friends. Several times a week for both seasons.

What Airedale said...

For many years I hunted gobblers EVERY morning during season as long as I had a legal tag, and if my tags were full I would look for people to take out and call for them.

I felt it was a SIN to miss a day of deer season as long as I had time off ( including before and after work) and was not tagged out.

I also hunted waterfowl, pheasants, grouse, woodcock, squirrels, rabbits, foxes, coon, and LOTS of crows..

I traveled all over the USA and Canada to hunt deer, elk, moose, caribou, antelope, wild hogs, waterfowl, turkeys and pheasants..

Now that I'm older I occasionally miss a morning of spring gobbler season or deer season without feeling guilty about it...<<grin>>...

• Like 1

My passion has only grown over the years. 

I am on this site, looking up deer data or watching a deer video or actual deer every day but I am not addicted.  I can quit any time.  :good:

They are an amazingly adaptable animal with excellent survival instincts.  The antlers just seem to exemplify the mystic and drive our hearts to skip a beat.  :banghead:

• Like 1

I went with 'Passionate But It Doesn't Consume Me'. But the peanut gallery in the other room says that once the snowboarding season was over all I talk about is hunting, and that it's been worse since buying the new guns. She's tired of hearing about hunting, and when we take the dog out to the woods she is tires of me vanishing while I go check out a funnel or w/e.  I have two modes, snowboarding and the last year took up hunting again. I just love being outdoors. Not sure how many years I have left on the board, but I know I still have many in the field.