shooting.....one eye open or both ?

turkeyfeathers

I shoot open sights with both eyes open.  By doing so, you actually get a ghost image of the sights over the target allowing you to still see what the sights would obscure if you had one eye closed.  This actually aids aiming.

I close one eye when I use a scope though, as the same effect isn't possible with optics.

I'm right eye dominant but close left eye to shoot. Is there technically a right or wrong way ? How do you shoot ?

As long as your style allows you to hit what you are aiming at with consistency and importantly confidence, it is the end result that counts in my book. Personally I shoot both ways, with a shotgun or a snap shot with a rifle and most times firing a handgun I have both eyes open. From the bench or long range varmint shooting with scope mounted rifles where I have pretty much all the time I want I will sometimes draw down using one eye for a very precise shot.

Al

Edited by airedale

I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed, because I'm technically right handed.  my vision isn't normal.  I've had aesthetic surgery to correct a lazy eye, but I still see the same way.  I focus with one eye or the other, with the other being more peripheral vision.  I've learned to shoot both eyes open.  the image of what you see will be brighter and more clear helping you more precisely aim.  every now and then I have an urge to close one eye still.  my experience anyway.

Everything I have read says learn to shoot with both eyes open.  I shoot both my guns and bows with left eye closed (except when I am shooting the bow purely instinctive inside of 15yds).  I seem to get double vision trying to focus with both eyes open.  On the bright side, the deer seem less concerned when they notice my eye closed.  I suspect they think I am sleeping.

• Like 3

Having both eyes open (if you are same dominant eye as you are "handed") Is important for shooting moving targets such as W/a shotgun.

For stationary targets, not so much.

I am left dominant/right handed so I have to close the left eye except when using a scope. The optics allow the weak right eye to "dominate" the sight picture.

I am heavily left eye dominant and right handed. for wing shooting with shotgun I use a static dot on my glasses to force the right eye to see so I can leave both eyes open. with rifle or any scope shooting it is only right eye open. I can shoot tactical pistol pretty well as close distances with both eyes open but it seems I actually am lining up the sights with my left eye and holding right handed. 

I had already shot bow and rifle for years before anyone ever mentioned keeping both eyes open. I had no idea whether I did this or not. Out in the yard I went with bow , scoped rifle, and open sights.

Bow was one eye closed, and scope and open sights were both eyes open. Never felt the need to change as I shoot well with all in the field. Funny thing is, I cannot shoot a pistol worth a darn no matter if I use one eye, two eyes, or no eyes. I have had some fine handgun shooters work with me, but something just is not right.

Left eye dominate , right handed , so I buy all left handed guns or top tang bottom eject so I can shoot lefty . Right now I'm shooting my rifle lefty but my front door shotgun ( Benneli ) with its ghost ring front sight I shoot righty ..... as I see the site clearer.

Handguns shoot right handed left eyed ... Although the giant floater and the smaller 100 or so really are messing up my left eye .

Oh to answer the question I close one eye , although I guess you're not supposed to .

Edited by Larry302