best/worst game animal you've eaten?

rachunter

for me the best has and probably always will be  bobwhite quail and rabbit.

worst was porcupine and black sea ducks 

oddball good was beaver,crow,snapper turtle

want to try rattle snake,alligator and just about anything i haven't tried.  

so whats yours?? 

Edited by rachunter
spelling

The best: pheasant

The weirdest: snapping turtle burgers ..... started but not finished.

The second weirdest: pigeons at age 11, harvested in the hay loft of the barn with my homemade longbow. That was my first hunting harvest. 

• Like 2

Best : Beaver back straps lightly dry rubbed , wrapped in bacon in skillet on New Year's Eve  

Reindeer sausage with a dab of mustard from a street vendor in Anchorage AK 

Elk burger we made from ground buddy gave us 

crawfish we caught out of creek at night as teenagers and boiled in beer cans   No butter , no hot sauce  

drake wood duck salad   My one and only duck kill  

Grouse stew my brother made when I was about 8. 

Have had rattlesnake and gator a few times. Meh , not bad but not great either. 

I think a lot of my "bests " have something to do with memories attached too though. 

Not planning on anything like crow , yote , coon , mergansers or anything like that 

Best: Venison from my harvest this year, and from a friend who has fed us tenderloin, roasts, sausage, etc.

Worst: Venison that was in a stew someone brought to fishing camp. We started eating it and everyone around the table sort of looked at each other, finally someone said "What's in this?".  

Would like to try elk, bear, boar sometime.

Somebody want to tell me about wild boar meat? I have heard all different kinds of opinions, but the majority of what I have heard is that it is not very good.

By the way, I didn't mention above, but we did get a very tasty moose from Ontario Canada a bunch of years ago that would rival some of the better beef.

Best....Moose steak my buddies wife prepared after he took a nice Bull Moose a few years back in Newfoundland.

Worst....a small mouth bass we caught when I was about 16. My mom always said you catch it....I'll cook and most of the time her game dishes wee great...this one unfortunately was awful and I have sworn off bass ever since... simply catch and release from now on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Somebody want to tell me about wild boar meat? I have heard all different kinds of opinions, but the majority of what I have heard is that it is not very good.

By the way, I didn't mention above, but we did get a very tasty moose from Ontario Canada a bunch of years ago that would rival some of the better beef.

It is excellent, very similar to pork from the store, just a little darker and a little tougher. Old boars can be a little rough and are an acquired taste, and do have a strong smell and sometimes ejaculate when you are field dressing them, that's probably enough to turn anybody off to eating one, LOL. But the smaller hogs and sows taste great. I've probably brought 20 or 30 of them home over the years, and not one went in the garbage, even the bigger boars. Also, need to make sure and cook hog meat all the way through, since they may carry trichinosis.

Best tasting-moose and bison

Worst tasting-Canada goose

Edited by Uncle Nicky

I believe I tried and eaten just about every game animal we have here in NY and plenty of other odd ball stuff, I pretty much have a cast iron stomach and can eat just about anything. Like that Andrew Zimmern guy from Bizarre Foods, if it looks good I will at least  try it and most times even if it does not look good I will try it. In the end it all boils down to taste whether I actually dig in and eat any quantity. 

A lot of the turning up our noses for certain foods is in our heads and more psychological and sometimes religious, some cultures won't eat pork, or beef for examples. As long as the animal's meat is fresh and properly butchered I will give it a taste and usually a good cook with a good recipe can make almost anything palatable.

While there are many things I have tried and like a couple stand out, a roasted Grouse and I absolutely love Frog legs. The worst was a Coon stew a buddy of mine cooked up and brought to camp, it had more fur floating around in it than meat.

There are two exceptions that I will stay away from, any dog or dog like animal IE Fox, Coyote etc. or any kind of a Monkey.:negative:

Al

Edited by airedale
  • Like 1

Best without a doubt was pre-rut caribou killed in early September.. I have never eaten rutting caribou, but I have heard that it is so rank that dogs won't even eat it.

The worst I remember were diving ducks such as goldeneyes and buffleheads , however among my favorites are local mallards, blacks, teal and woodies.

As for white meat gamebirds, bobwhite quail are my favorite...I much prefer them to grouse or pheasant.

Bullfrog legs are wonderful....Snapping turtles are very good, but are a lot of bother to clean.

Wild pigs..The sows and piglets are excellent....The older boars are a bit strong for my taste.

28 minutes ago, Pygmy said:

Best without a doubt was pre-rut caribou killed in early September.. I have never eaten rutting caribou, but I have heard that it is so rank that dogs won't even eat it.

Agreed, pre or post rut caribou IS excellent, right up there with moose. Whoever told you rutting caribou was rank is absolutely correct. I shot one one time, the guide said don't bother, just keep the head, but I figured he was just being lazy, and quartered it myself, twisted my knee in the process bringing it down the hill. Once I got it home and cooked it (was really expecting a great meal), I realized it tasted like STRONG mutton, the family was not happy that night, I think we ordered Chinese. I tried giving some to the security guard at work, he only took one package and turned the rest down after that. My dog wouldn't even eat it, finally my sister took the rest for her dogs, she said they ate it, but weren't real excited. Lesson learned- listen to the guide!!:mda:

• Like 2

Well hard to narrow the best since each time i eat venison this year, its gets better and better.

The weirdest was probably alligator tail or cows foot. Both of those were amazing. 

The worst is easy, before i knew any better we used to eat the shank like a steak. Talk about tough...dont think we ever finished one shank before we started boiling them of 3 hours. 

As of now I really only hunt deer and Turkey so I haven't tried to many types of animal. Always up for it though.