So what's a really big doe

moog5050

The biggest doe I ever shot measured a 41" girth . I stopped at the Avon DEC to have it checked out and the DEC person asked why I wanted him to check a doe . I said because it was big . It was real cold out but he reluctantly left his warm cozy office and came out . He measured it at 42" . According to the Weight chart it would theoretically weighed 184 pounds field dressed but he didn't weigh it . I got a lot of meat from that deer . Never shot anything that big again . 

I have a perfect example from this season. I shot two does a day apart. The first one was so big that I had my scope turned way up just to make sure it wasn't a buck that had shed already. She dressed out at 162. The next day I shot a normal doe and she dressed at 105. The big doe is the biggest one I have shot in years and maybe ever.

• Like 1

i shot one of them big does one year. Her feet were on the rafters and her head was almost touching the floor. I never weighed a deer but holy crap her head was as big as a mule.. almost. Yup and i did call my buddy to bring a four wheeler to camp , still a struggle to get her out. Shot her in Centerville. She stood right up in front of me with another one as a friend of mine and I were coming up the hillside from the creek bottom. I swung up the muzzle loader and flipped my scope cover open  as all i could see was snow, and to my surprise she was still there. I gave it to her, but before the bullet got there it skipped off of a tree, what luck.one more inch to the right and things would have been very different . I have had to many run ins with small trees. Same hillside and i had a buck come through the woods and boy did that tree take it tough.

Ok I'll try this again! And, there we have it, it worked this time. The doe on the left was one big creature, and dwarfed the one on the right that weighed about 140 pounds. Look at her and then the scale. I have had one about the same, or a little bigger, come off my place since 1991, but they are few and far between. 

oh...and for the record...yes...the snow was all wiped off at the time of weighing...lol

IMG_4899.JPG

IMG_4903.JPG

Edited by New York Hillbilly
hard time getting pic uploaded

On 12/11/2016 at 9:58 AM, moog5050 said:

I have shot a couple that I thought were big in the 140-150lb dressed range.  My buddy shot one yesterday that was 170lbs dressed per the scale.  That is the biggest doe I ever saw weighed. 

Did you happen to measure the "heart girth"? I shot one that went in the 170s in 2003 and she was 42" around her chest.

170 is a big mama doe!! I took one behind the house here about 7 years ago or so that was 160s and she was a BIG girl. She was leading a small herd. Bad part is she was obviously the matriarch doe and the deer back here completely changed their usual patterns after that. Tokk me a while to adjust after years of predictable movement.

Got a big doe last year with crossbow. 154lbs. weighed .  My hunting partner shot a bigger one ten years or so ago that was noticeably bigger! But we never put her on the scale. It was early season and warm so she was cut up right away. But I'd be comfortable saying she weighed close to 170lbs! 

20151114_114122.jpg

• Like 2