Hurricane Irma

Cabin Fever

Hurricane Irma sounds pretty nasty! Been following the reports pretty closely. I'm suppose to flying to Georgia on Sunday for a seminar, then heading back Wednesday night. Better pack extra clothes and food, expecting flight delays, if not worse... UGH!

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

All schools are closed Thursday and Friday in Dade and Broward county, home depots or Lowe's are out of plywood and water, most other stores, target, walmart, costco, BJ's, are all out of water.
50% of gas stations are literally out of gas now, with no refill in sight until after the storm.
Tolls are lifted on turnpike because people are bugging out now.

The storm is 400 miles wide, it covers the whole state of Florida regardless if it goes down the east or west coast.

I'm in Broward County, and gave the hatches batten ed down

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Have relatives in St. Pete, St. Augustine, Orlando and Sarasota. All are getting ready and making preparations. Even for folks who have seen their share of hurricanes, this one is big, and has people worried. My wife's uncle lives just outside Huston and they are having a tough time after Harvey. Prayers and good thoughts, to all who have or will be affected. Six years ago, we lost our home in Berne to flooding from Irene. I know first hand how heart wrenching it can be.

Some idiot that I work with is flying down to be with his wife and her mother instead of flying them up here. Apparently his wife is a crazy cat lady and won't leave them behind . He started working the same day as me 3.5 years ago and left her in Florida to come work in buffalo ,the guy is not right in the head.

• Like 1

People are going nuts here. All stores are a zoo as are gas stations (assuming they have any fuel left)! I'm in a high area  (for Florida) so flooding won't be an issue. Wind and rainfall intrusion will be of concern. We have enough food, water and Bourbon to survive! LOL 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, bugsNbows said:

People are going nuts here. All stores are a zoo as are gas stations (assuming they have any fuel left)! I'm in a high area  (for Florida) so flooding won't be an issue. Wind and rainfall intrusion will be of concern. We have enough food, water and Bourbon to survive! LOL 

Lay low and keep us updated if you can. Wish you well.

2 hours ago, Jeremy K said:

Some idiot that I work with is flying down to be with his wife and her mother instead of flying them up here. Apparently his wife is a crazy cat lady and won't leave them behind . He started working the same day as me 3.5 years ago and left her in Florida to come work in buffalo ,the guy is not right in the head.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrr maybe he is. lol

• Like 6

Lots of traffic jams already on the north-bound highways, but people are listening and paying attention. This is not a storm to ignore. It's a Cat5 and officially the biggest storm ever recorded in the Atlantic.

Most computer models have the storm eventually diminishing in strength and turning to the north, but none of them agree on what that northward track will be. Even a Cat3 that tracks directly up either coast, or straight up the middle of the peninsula is likely to change the landscape of the area forever. If it remains a Cat5 we'll probably be redrawing the map of what used to be known as Florida.

• Like 1

If it were up to me, I would be cancelling the business trip. Not worth the risk. Unfortunately, I'm going with my manager and the General Manager and they aren't too concerned about the hurricane, affecting our trip. Considering we're in the "Safety" field AND going to a "Safety Leadership" conference, it seems pretty stupid to me to be taking this unnecessary risk. When I mentioned that I had a feeling that at minimum we would probably end up getting stuck at an airport, due to wind and rain, my manager just said that we could "just rent a car and drive back".... Oh boy...:negative:. I'm kind of banking on getting to the airport in Rochester Sunday night and learning that the flight into Atlanta has been cancelled, due to weather conditions.

Sitting here in a pub in Niagara Falls watching the storm track and news reports thinking "WTF"... 

• Like 1