Practice draw on deer you don't intend to shoot?

ApexerER

I have had deer in bow range on several sits this year. A couple small bucks and what I assume is the same group of doe I keep seeing. Nothing that I intend to shoot this time of year although the one large doe has been tempting a couple of times. I was thinking after the 3 doe passed yesterday that I wonder if I should practice drawing on deer. Generally I spot them as they are coming in and determine they are not shooters, and either watch or take pics on my phone if they are really close. Generally I just sit as still as possible and watch as long as I can. I have only harvested two deer and a coyote with my bow in the time I have been bow hunting. I sure could use the practice moving and getting set up and drawing. I am not sure doing this is worth getting busted if I move to fast and do something wrong. I don't want to screw up my stand. What do you think is better...practice or staying as undetected as possible.

Nope never a good idea. What happens if you hit the release on accident?
I get what your trying to do and practicing moving is ok but I would suggest moving to a standing position bring the bow up and pull you arm back but never actually draw the bow. Same motions to hide from the deer but no chance of an accidental arrow release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, covert said:

To me, bow or gun have the same rules: Never point your weapon at something you don't intend to destroy.  You wouldn't  practice drawing at your neighbor's (cow, dog, kid, car etc.) would you?

Hard to argue with that reasoning but you never look at a deer through a scope when you are rifle hunting?

I did this for the first time in a while friday night. But only because it was a new stand and sort of a tricky shot. Also mostly because it was a bb, and we all know how dumb they are. I would not do this on any doe as  it's not worth educating them on my stands. the idea is good, but i just dont think the reward is worth the risk.

12 minutes ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Nope, not a chance. I dont want to take a chance on educating a deer.

That was my question and pretty much what I thought. Better to stay still as possible then take a chance on getting busted...Not worth the practice.

And Moog I do that all the time, OK the deer is here I would be able to turn...the deer is here I would be able to draw etc.....

Not worth the movement and education to the deer.....Thanks for the replies....

• Like 1

why not just practice on imaginary deer while in the stand. all stands are different and in some places limbs or other obstacles necessitate the use of less than ideal for so i would definitely practice but not while deer are present.  im with others on not educating deer, especially if this is a permanent location.

19 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

Hard to argue with that reasoning but you never look at a deer through a scope when you are rifle hunting?

Sort of.  I don't use the scope like binoculars if that's what you mean; but I have seen a buck, looked at it through the scope and then changed my mind and lowered the rifle.  I guess that could be considered the same thing, but I started out intending to shoot and then backing down.

1 minute ago, brownclown said:

why not just practice on imaginary deer while in the stand. all stands are different and in some places limbs or other obstacles necessitate the use of less than ideal for so i would definitely practice but not while deer are present.  im with others on not educating deer, especially if this is a permanent location.

It is a permanent location, I practice on imaginary deer when I am planning on climbing down and to make sure I can draw my bow ok after sitting still for several hours. My question was more inline with do you practice not getting busted on the draw?

Do it often . Best way to,learn when and how to move and draw .

. Sure if there are a few deer I won't because it's to,hard to watch them all at the same time , same as if one has a idea somethings up .

Dont recall the last time I got busted drawing on a deer I wanted to,shoot .

Noisy stands, squeaky boots, scent, moving when I did not see the deer, all have busted me, don't know if drawing ever did 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ApexerER said:

It is a permanent location, I practice on imaginary deer when I am planning on climbing down and to make sure I can draw my bow ok after sitting still for several hours. My question was more inline with do you practice not getting busted on the draw?

i used to do it a lot when i first started (now on 7th season). im much more confident so no longer feel i need to practice when deer are present. i still do as you do before climbing down on in new stands just to ensure when the deer presents or in my shooting lane im good to go. because there has been times when i wanted to shoot and  draw only to find the angle was compromised. i still do draw on live non shooters when using the climber sometimes because even if busted i most likely wont be in that spot again or at least not for a long time.

58 minutes ago, brownclown said:

it is good to draw from time to time. especially when it gets cold. Keeps your muscles loose, and if it's really cold it'll break the noisy frost up that's growing on your jacket lol.

No I don't as I do not like to give away my stand locations before gun season if I get busted.  I'll practice getting onto my loop slowly and pulling back here and there.  Last thing I need is a mature doe blowing out the whole woods before rut!! That's the worst

2 hours ago, Stay at home Nomad said:

Do it often . Best way to,learn when and how to move and draw .

. Sure if there are a few deer I won't because it's to,hard to watch them all at the same time , same as if one has a idea somethings up .

Dont recall the last time I got busted drawing on a deer I wanted to,shoot .

Noisy stands, squeaky boots, scent, moving when I did not see the deer, all have busted me, don't know if drawing ever did 

I agree, I do it often.  You can never practice enough, especially when it's happening on the real thing.  I don't know how you could pre-release the arrow, finger does not touch the trigger.  

• Like 1

i do it.  depending on the deer personality.  some deer just walk around with a bug up their ^%$.  no reason to have them possibly bust me if i don't intend on shooting them, especially out of a stand that's setup to be there.  otherwise it's perfect practice. nothing ever happens and i be sure it doesn't, but i only draw on something have a tag for. just in case.  if i was really worried about getting busted by practicing drawing on deer, how would i ever be confident i could draw on a more mature buck that's on top of his game?

• Like 1

I do it all the time... it helps me get to know what movement I can get away with and what I can't. Mind you I still hunt on the ground with a recurve... so it is important to me to know what is doable in close quarters... 20 yards and in. One thing I learned is that deer can pick up small light reflections off the limbs of the bow that close... so I have to dull my limbs with a flat paint to eliminate any reflection

• Like 1

Not saying  right or wrong . But been killing deer with a bow since the late ‘80s . I feel a new bow hunter is better off spooking a doe or two early on , so he learns when to move on the big buck later on . 

You should stand as much as possible , you should have your bow IN YOUR HAND, you should be ready to draw when any deer comes by , as what you want may be next .

i think many who “ get busted drawing “ really get busted standing and reaching for the bow .

If you’re standing raise the bow the bow in front of you as soon as you see deer , release clipped on, it’s very little movement to draw from that point .

Honestly how does pulling one arm straight back idk 15 inches equal a lot of movement ?

• Like 1

I will draw now and then, just to keep loose, but never when deer are present.  When I draw on a deer I'm expecting to shoot it.  I work too hard to be invisible to deer while I'm hunting. Not willing to tip my hand at a non target deer.  They do just fine picking me off with their noses and ears, without me giving them a visual too.

• Like 1