Posted signs

WNYBuckHunter

What are you guys using for posted signs? Yesterday we found out that the deal for our house went through, which means our deal on our new house is done. We close in a couple weeks and the first thing I’m going to get done is to put new posted signs up. I want Some that I wont Have to replace every couple of years. 

Thinking of these ones

https://www.seriouspropertymarkers.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=Mc-001

i went through voss and went with the aluminum signs. used aluminum roofing nails and did not drive them in tight. went with alum. nails so if anyone ever has to cut up the tree an alum. nail wont ruin a chain on a saw. if you leave them out a little you will have years before the tree tightens them up and pulls the mail through the sign.

i don't remember how much it was per sign when I bought the last batch I am pretty sure it was less than a buck a sign but I bought 500 signs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

What are you guys using for posted signs? Yesterday we found out that the deal for our house went through, which means our deal on our new house is done. We close in a couple weeks and the first thing I’m going to get done is to put new posted signs up. I want Some that I wont Have to replace every couple of years. 

Thinking of these ones

Congratulations on the sale and move!!!!

• Like 1

Congratulations on the purchase!  That's awesome John! They are not cheap, but the aluminum signs, tacked to treated plywood, works and lasts the best for us. The the tyvek ones,  plastered on high travel areas are great too. But we redo those every year as to keep them new looking, to give the impression to others, we do mean POSTED! We even put out a few security cameras in use signs too. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

We close in a couple weeks and the first thing I’m going to get done is to put new posted signs up

Isn't that what everyone does??? Think of the money the guy or girl that invented them has made...just like the orange construction cones & barrels. The world would be a much prettier place without them.

13 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thinking of these ones

I have used the ones you linked above.  Love them.  No backing, never have to write on them again.  Not one problem in more than six years.  Just follow the instructions and leave some room for growth.  Worse case scenario you loosen a screw if necessary.  They are easy, lots of pre-drilled holes to place them on uneven or non-straight trees.  At $1.25 each they aren't any more than the typical unmarked sign you buy at the hardware store.  Ordered them online, had them at my door in less than a week.  Great company, excellent product.  

14 hours ago, WNYBuckHunter said:

Thinking of these ones

Hey wny I use these signs I've had some up for 10+ years. I buy mine at the made in America store and I have to say I will never buy another type of sign. If you do go with these signs don't screw them tight to the tree leave some room for the tree to grow . I have some that faded some but those are the ones that get sun and there is no mistaking what they are. You can still read them plane as day. Good luck with the new house!

When I bought a piece of property ~12yrs ago, had same no trespassing philosophy as you do. Went with Minuteman rigid plastic signs, More $$ than ones you linked to Voss. Ones I bought haven't faded or deteriorated at all in ~12yrs. I prefered to not attach my signs to trees. Instead I used PT 2"x2"x8' cutoff at ~6' on a 45deg angle. Using 2x2 posts you can put signs wherever you want & are much more visible than ones nailed to a tree.

Just a technicality, do need contact info on posted signs. IE; name of property owner and contact info, either phone # or address. IRC, legally they need to be a min of ~600' apart. JMO, that's way too far apart to make the message clear.

You know this, but posted signs are just the tip of this private property hunting iceberg!! One thing you'll want to do is keep good relationships with all adjoining neighbors. Introduce yourself, explain why you will or have posted your property, type of hunting you'll do, your hunting ethics, stand set-back distances and see how they feel about you retrieving a deer that has run onto their property. Which might mean reciprocating these retrieval rights. Definitely give them your phone #!! A little annual goodwill goes a long way, like a Xmas card, bottle of wine, venison, etc! To ease one neighbor's concerns I had to explain that when I was long gun hunting, it was from an elevated position, no horizontal shots and was always aware of where all houses were from each of my stands. May even need to give neighbors a tour of your property and show them any potential PL stand locations, orientation of this/these stands and your intent to only shoot onto your own property. Bad relationships with neighbors is a curse and can get worse over time! Any new posted signs can incite an immediate negative reaction or feud w/o neighbors knowing the facts; who, why, how, etc. Good neighbors can become your best defense against trespassers or your worst enemies, depending how you initiate the relationship. Might want to talk to them even before putting up the blatant "Posted" signs... Good luck!!

• Like 1

I have used the plastic signs stapled to pressure treated plywood, then nailed to trees with spikes allowing for tree growth.  I choose trees with no future timber value. The plastic signs get chewed on by red squirrels and eventually (just a few years) become brittle and cracked.  I will replace the signs with aluminum Voss signs.

This from the DEC website on distance between posted signs:

Q. How many signs must be used in posting lands and how close together must they be set?

A. At least one sign must be set on each side of the protected area and on each side of all corners that can be reasonably identified. Signs shall be no more than 660 feet apart, close to or along the boundaries of the protected area. Since the signs must be conspicuous, they should be high enough, and spaced closely enough to be seen. Please don't turn your property into an eyesore by using more signs than are necessary.

jperch