If you could only have one gun for hunting what would it be and why ?

Hunter007

Ruger 10/.22. Not legal in a lot of cases but many a ducks and deer have fallen to the .22. Just hypo oligopoly speaking. And one heck of a zombie apocalypse gun too. I can carry thousands of rounds with little noise  And no , zero experience with zombies , deer and such under my .22 under mine. 

• Like 2

I'll stick with my Tikka T3X Stainless Lite in .308.  This rifle is capable of taking deer, elk and bear at a distance.  Carries and handles great plus no worries in wet weather.  I shoot it well so this one really checks all the boxes for me.

Outside of NY, I'd say a good AR-15 platform with .22LR, .223/5.56 and 6.8SPC uppers would provide a ton of versatility in one package.

• Like 2

This is a very easy one for me and grampy has already given the right answer.  My own grandpa's old, model 37 Ithaca, 16-gauge with a smoothbore deerslayer barrel, and a second barrel with a modified choke, will take any game in NY.   I hunted with it for a few hours last Saturday morning on his old farm and I passed on a small-antlered buck at 40 yards, broadside.  I am nearly certain that it would have put him down easily, just as it has on all but one deer that I ever shot it at.  He just needed to take another step or two to get off the neighbor's posted land.   I still have the weathered old 8-point rack of the last buck my grandpa killed with it nailed onto the front wall of our barn.  

The one miss was prior to mounting a 1.5X Weaver scope on it 34 years ago.  Every time I have pulled the trigger with those crosshairs on a deer, it has ended up in the freezer.  Only one of them took more than one shot. My biggest one took a slug for every antler point but that is a story for another thread.  The last time I fired it at a deer was 6 years ago, when it took my second largest antlered buck with one slug to the neck from 10 yards. I will try it again this weekend.  It's 100 yard effective range is just about right for a spot I have in mind, the ammo is cheap, and our venison supply is secure, so it is time for a little "nostalgia".   

12 gauges are a little too big and 20's a little too small, but the 16 is just right in the center.   This gun packs nearly the wallop of a 12 gauge and is almost as light to carry as a 20.  A shotgun is more versatile than a rifle, and a pump is about the most dependable action, so this one is could be the correct answer to the "one-gun" question by universal standards.  For me, it also has the sentimental attachment thru my grandpa.  That, coupled with it's 100% effectiveness, since mounting the scope, would make it the last gun I would part with.  There is not even a close second.  I might part with the matching serial number modified barrel though if anyone needs one.  It has not been on it since I mounted the scope.  The only time I used it, when I was 14, I fired 14 shots at 10 grouse and did not hit one of them.  The stock was a little too long for me then. Anyhow, that is the excuse I am sticking to.      

Edited by wolc123

1 hour ago, grampy said:

Ithica Model 37 in 16g.  From squirrels, birds, or any deer walking NY, this gun has it covered. And will never fail to cycle or go bang.

That's my exact first gun and is saved in my gun cabinet for my first grandson or granddaughter 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MPHunter said:

My Mossberg 500 with 24" rifled slug barrel and 28" smooth bore.  

just gave mine to a son of a friend of mine.  Had that shotgun for 30 years.  Its taken deer, turkey, small game.  It was a bit beat up and got so I never used it cause Ive bought others , but took my first deer with it and my first buck.  But moved it along to a new hunter who will get some use out of it.  That gun covers it all and ammo is cheap.  I just had a slug barrel without rifling and it was a deer killer out to 90 yards.  Im glad its out in the field again.  Went hunting with him last week and it was good to see it back in use.  Told him he could have the gun, the only caveat was that he could not sell it. If he needed to sell it or wanted to to come see me first.  

• Like 3