Wednesday Snow

Steuben Jerry

I don't have a plow,  so I have to use the walk behind SB , shovel, or hired it plowed..... My side entrance, which we use as a main entrance has too much landscaping, etc, for the blower so that is all shovel work...Of course I have to shovel the ramp of my utility shed just to ACCESS the damn snowblower..   

4 hours ago, grampy said:

The school district I work for is closed for the students. Staff must report. So here I am! The halls are much quieter today!

District office closed at noon! So now I'm home watching it snow! Will head out later to snowblow the driveway. 

2 hours ago, dbHunterNY said:

i've always wondered what's most any of you do with a walk behind snowblower

I use both. Plow on the atv and a walk behind snowblower. One thing about the blower is  I can send it a lot father than with the plow and I can pile it a lot higher. 

Same with me.....plow when I feel like cleaning out both driveways and need to move the heavy wet crap out from the end of the driveway. Use the 8hp toro snowblower to clean lighter snow and sidewalk.

Love the ATV.....it moves snow like a beast.

Also have these two guys to help with snow removal now!
8247aa6421fab44af1e12ed85ac9d088.jpg0eb11fd2e2567ad1b28d6250d4bdc95a.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

• Like 11

Some “storm “I got maybe four inches of light fluff, and my street is half bare.

As for a snow blower, I do my driveway, decent size with two car parking space off to the side, I cut back the bank in front of my mail box, around the fire hydrant, my front walk, a path through the side and rear yard to our patio ,clear patio around hot tub and grill .

In years past I would do two or three neighbors driveways as well .

Today I just shoveled .

Btw I live near Lake Ontario in the” lake effect “ area . There have been times the snow has been taller then the blower .

Edited by Stay at home Nomad

Snowblower attachment for the riding lawn mower for me this year. So far I like it more than the walk behind and more than the ATV plow. I have a U shaped drive way so the plow took a bit longer to get the snow pushed around to where it needed to go so I could stack it. Now with the blower I just throw it off the driveway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not the snow that's frustrating. It's the mix. Shoveled out the neighbor, half way through snow turned to rain. So busted my butt to get my parking area done. Was soaked by the time I was finished. Rain was coming down pretty good, and switched to sleet, front steps were a mess. Had to resort to Sea Salt on the steps, the bags of snow melt were in the fiancées vehicle, but the sea salt helped. Then it changes back to snow. This really is a good old NY storm for sure.

I did find my thoughts going into wanting to be on the hill with my board. Haven't had that feeling in some years. 

6 hours ago, mlammerhirt said:

Do it for all of us at work! Start now!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I did.  Had to really.  Hear me out:

Dogs successfully alerted to and defended against 4 imminent threats of mass murder.  It's a miracle any of us survived.  Stepson was quiet other than making multiple trips to the bathroom overhead due to a bad case of the runs.  Mother and daughter battled several times (par for the course really) with at least one loud exchange causing the dogs to chime in their 2 cents worth.  Doors being closed to my office would normally be a clue to most people, but I guess they feel they will die or something if more than 10 minutes passes without asking me a question or begging me to do one thing or another because 'they' are in the middle of something.  My bad.  Kicker was my daughter asking for and expecting a ride to a friend's house.  I shit you not.  Fortunately, the dogs caught wind of the mailman pulling up to the box and went to Defcon 5, forcing me to close the blast doors to my office.

So in the best interests of everyone involved and to avoid unnecessary bloodshed, I did what any other man in full control of his emotions would do in my position...

(Yes, this pic was taken in the final sanctuary of my home, the master bathroom.)

20180207_191738.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

The great myth about retirement is that you are always free to stay home when bad weather comes. It is almost guaranteed that some important appointment will be scheduled for that day. Yesterday was no exception. Of course I had to meet with my financial advisor.  If it hadn't have been that, it would have been a doctor's appointment or some other thing that just had to be taken care of.

But actually, this was a piece of cake. Looking back over the years, when I think of some of the days that I drove my 40 miles to work, this "storm" was just a very minor inconvenience. I can remember some very harrowing drives. some where I had to guide myself along by looking above the whiteouts at the tops of the electric poles just to stay on the road.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bugsNbows said:

I sort of miss the snow... as long as I can stay inside and look out a window! I had to cut the grass yesterday, and we turned the AC on as it was in the mid 80's. Same thing only different... I guess.

youve def been out of the winters for a while - def not the same.  I will trade you 40 degrees for 40" of snow! 

Mid 80's and lawn mowing ....... is not mid 20's and snowblowing! 

Im getting so i dislike winter more and more every year.  Prob because i have to fight it all day at work.  Might be different if I was retired too.  good for you though

just north of the capital region we got somewhere around 7" when i stuck the tape into the snow throughout the driveway. oddly not far away they got barely 4".  i guess a few isolated areas had pockets of heavier snow fall. down near Albany it rained/sleeted for some of it.

I too use a snowblower, I have a decent length driveway, about 300'.  22" wide, so at 6 passes, I am done, up by the house is about double the width, but it works for me.  I do plan to buy a UTV in the next year, and will put a plow on it for times where we have the messy slop. 

They forecasted about 4-8" here, and I think we had maybe 4" before it changed over to a good rain.  We were told to lift our plows, and not plow, only put material down on the roads, and then park, and wait to be told to scrape them off, once the rain completely stopped.  Definitely kept the roads passable that way.

But yeah I agree, definitely an over-hyped storm in my area.