1'st bear progress w/ new saw

wooly

Pheeeew..., I didn't realize just how much wood I had left to remove from my latest bruin after getting him blocked out!
My dream with all this carving stuff has been to carve some realistic animals at some point (preferably sooner than later), and I think I may have learned a few tricks along the way through all my screw ups that have got me a few steps closer to that goal.
Here's a sneak peak of my day one blocking out of the log compared to where I left off yesterday.
Still got plenty of work to do on him, and a few subtle changes to make, but man am I excited about how this one is coming along so far! I forgot to measure him, but he's probably in the 32"-36" range.

This new saw package is such a step up from what I was working with in that electric model and I'm thinking there may be another one added to the line up shortly so I'm not wasting so much time swapping out sprockets, bars, and chains.

DSC_0109.thumb.JPG.6f32e5860f6eb6686668f0fce12366c1.JPG

DSC_0124.thumb.JPG.c6091237665a181c1c68f5662a84f460.JPG

DSC_0126.thumb.JPG.a35248c6ecd9baaae6290feab736fa43.JPG

• Like 21

So cool, how you improve on each one, to get closer to what you have in mind.  This one is really shaping up to be great! I'm looking forward to seeing the finished piece!  I like how you show the progression pictures! Lets us follow along, to see where you're cutting, and how the outcome of each step, improves the carving.

You're right. Two saws will be nice to go back and forth, each with it's own purpose, blocking and detail.

Keep the pictures coming! Your artwork is amazing my friend!

• Like 1

Sooooo Wooly, how long have you been doing this chainsaw carving stuff, four months now? LOL.....

I'd say you've got this little artistic skill mastered!  What will be next; antler carving (no, that's figured out too) how about something like skull carving? (nope, done and mastered!)

How about trying some photography? Oh never mind.......... :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lawdwaz said:

Sooooo Wooly, how long have you been doing this chainsaw carving stuff, four months now? LOL.....

I'd say you've got this little artistic skill mastered!  What will be next; antler carving (no, that's figured out too) how about something like skull carving? (nope, done and mastered!)

How about trying some photography? Oh never mind.......... :)

Thanks guys!

LOL Larry- I made my first chainsaw carve attempt on June 12'th or something like that so coming up on 2 months experience already!

Like I said, I've made a lot of mistakes up to this point that are teaching me what NOT to do, but still got a lot left to learn with this stuff.

All those other little projects were a good platform for me to get started with this now looking back on it.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Jerkman said:

Hope you got a pair of those chainsaw protection chaps. Don't want you having to change your name to Stumpy while working on turning stumps into art

You Can't Beat My Meat!!!

Thanks again guys!

Jerkman- I'm adding a pair of chainsaw chaps to my Christmas list. I watched a few videos on them and it's pretty amazing how even a cheap pair will bind up and kill a saw if it comes into contact with them. They don't work quite as well as the pricier name brand chaps, but they do work and something is better than nothing considering that femoral artery is a pretty important one,lol

I know I should have them right now, but hopefully wont need them before then.

Anyhow, I got a little more accomplished today on this guy. Layed some hair on him with the angle grinder.., got some rolls added to his neck..., put the burn on 'em with the torch.., and brushed on a coat of antique walnut stain mixed with the boiled linseed oil.

About all that's left to do on him will be done with the Dremel. Eyes, nose, mouth, feet, and I'm going to carve a few bear tracks around the base and that should do it!

Gonna pick up a gallon of spar varnish and I think that will finish him off quite nicely.

Here's a few shots of todays progress.

DSC_0134.thumb.JPG.a5a19de87e46de64487cfe22ec41a83a.JPG

DSC_0145.thumb.JPG.050139a43cb80eda21b6845facdfe300.JPGDSC_0172.thumb.JPG.09ed9160f58d99e71f3b7ac32fdb2350.JPGDSC_0175.thumb.JPG.e40a2390ca7cb24a68b93b79af0ab2e6.JPG

• Like 7

Really, Really Nice!  Your artistic talent is amazing to me. To take a log, and see that in there, then bring it out, is so darned cool. When I look at a log, all I see is firewood.........

Looking forward to seeing him finished, after the Dremel details.

The chaps will definitely save ya from leaking all over the place, after a slip. Hopefully you can get em sooner rather than later.

• Like 2

I'm impressed that you see these things inside the logs you choose. Like Grampy said, most people see firewood. It takes a special heart and a special talent to see beyond that.

Release the bear, release the eagle, release the hounds and do it in your underwear if it works. Be careful with the chainsaw.

Very cool stuff, my friend!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...