Lost another one to early.

Swamp_bucks

Saturday my wife lost her 21 yr old nephew to a suicide/drug overdose.  Just put his 40 yr old uncle in the ground 4 months ago.

Please if anyone is struggling with mental  health or a family memeber,friend please seek help.  There is alot to life and some people just need some help to see it.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

So sorry for the loss- can’t imagine anything worse for a family

I’ve been to three wakes in the past year or so for either previous students or young kids of family friends. It is a scary time for these kids. Letting your hair down looks very different today for the youth —- slamming watered down beers at a watering hole or sneaking your folks smokes was the extent of most of our partying- not so much today an they are being know. as snowflakes- imagine hearing that about your generation when you are the one dealing with the stress of growing up/ we joke but the youth of today have a hard road. I couldn’t do the school work at they are asked to do at the age they are doing it. Travel teams; personal trainers; tutors- all of these are meant for o be good for the kids but all they really do are add stress.

All that plus a loss in connectivity to human contact and fake relationships on line as their world....it’s harder than we think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I only became aware of the scale of drug problems in the region through my time teaching. The stories I heard from my students about the goings-on in their High Schools and local towns were terrifying. It seems nowhere is untouched now. We have serious cultural problems in our country. How did it become OK that drugs are no big deal, and how do we turn this deadly tide? I am at a loss.

And sorry for your loss too Swamp Bucks. I keep hearing stories like this far too often now.

Edited by The_Field_Ager
  • Like 3

I know its getting worse around here.  Seems like every year 2 or 3 people i no or heard of either die of overdose or commit suicide.  Usually its the overdose. I dont no when it became the normal to do meth and heroin.  My oldest daughter is in 8th grade and had 2 kids expelled in 7th for popping pills and doing weed in a bathroom during lunch.  Sisters class found a kid in the bathroom passed out with a needle still in his hand that was 6yrs ago and this isnt even close to the worst districts around. 

we live in a small town and everyone knows each other so these things hurt an entire town.  Just doesnt make sense,seems like when the farms started to die out kids started getting bored and trying new things.  Just my opinion and what ive noticed.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers,his mother needs them right now she still hasnt gotten over her brothers death from this past fall.

Thoughts and prayers sent to you, and the young man's family and friends.  May he find the peace he was so desperately seeking.

It never was/is easy to grow up. Always harder for some than others, deciding which path to choose. Just seeing what my teenage grandsons do for school work and sports. And the pressures they are dealt, at an earlier, and earlier age, with all the varied influences out there, is down right scary. 

Love and communication is surely the key. But it's no guarantee anymore. Always need to stand vigilant, and willing to jump in at a moments notice when they need us. 

Was so much easier growing up for my age group.

• Like 2