Cheap/ inexpensive trail cams?

stubborn1VT

What are people experiences?  I have been trying to upgrade to better cameras, but realized that I have spots where I don't want to risk a $120 camera.  I have had good experiences with Browning and Bushnell cams, but on new properties or on the edges of our farm, I'm afraid they will get stolen.  

Do folks have cheaper cameras that are fairly reliable?  I have had mixed results with Wildgame cams.  Just curious what other people do.  

I am not really looking to scout with these cams, more just see what's around.  It's fun to see what cruises through.  

Also, what are people's experiences with security measures, like lock boxes and python cable locks?  What about putting cams up 8 feet high?  Anyone do this?  

Feel free to respond to any or all of these questions, or just share your experiences.  Thanks!

I was in a similar situation. I have a cuddeback that I use that was $100+ that is great but I need another cam for cheaper. I bought a Moultrie. I think I paid 50 or 60 bucks at Dick's and it does the job.

If you're putting it somewhere where deer will be feeding I think anything will probably do but if you're putting it on a trail then the cheaper cameras might not cut it. it looks like the main difference between the cams is the trigger speed. The cheaper ones usually have about a one second trigger speed so you will get a blurry picture of something walks by.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I put post on a couple forums about this from my personal experiences I find minimal difference between a 30 dollar camera and a 150 dollar camera only time I have had any fail is temps under zero all price cameras have died I no longer leave them out that cold and newer ones at 30 dollars are as good or better than 150 dollar cameras from a couple years ago 

• Like 1

No Idea who makes them but I bought two of these.  $59 for black flash is tough to beat.  Will post some photos when I get out there to pull a card.  Pretty sure they were recommended by a forum member too. 

0B55E9ED-76B5-42B4-B6E5-C0DCEAE1ED3D.png

Even has built in screen to check pics.  .5 second trigger speed. 

Edited by moog5050
  • Like 2

No Idea who makes them but I bought two of these.  $59 for black flash is tough to beat.  Will post some photos when I get out there to pull a card.  Pretty sure they were recommended by a forum member too. 

0B55E9ED-76B5-42B4-B6E5-C0DCEAE1ED3D.thumb.png.deb672f33b379a29cc46b1026e49f671.png

Even has built in screen to check pics.  .5 second trigger speed. 

Obviously it's Foxelli! Man you lawyer types I thought you guys read a lot

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, The Jerkman said:

Obviously it's Foxelli! Man you lawyer types I thought you guys read a lot

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Same cam is sold under a few names at different price points.  I suspect it’s a copy of one of larger brands. 

• Like 1

Just had one stolen recently. Locked with Python cable and suitcase lock to keep them from removing sd card. They tried to cut the cable with what looked liked a hatchet but failed. Must have smashed the cam off the cable lock as there was only a small piece of plastic left. Bolt cutters and they could have had it in good shape. Got a feeling they didn't want me to get that sd card and see what they were up to. 5 other cams were unmolested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

12 hours ago, b3h said:

Just had one stolen recently. Locked with Python cable and suitcase lock to keep them from removing sd card. They tried to cut the cable with what looked liked a hatchet but failed. Must have smashed the cam off the cable lock as there was only a small piece of plastic left. Bolt cutters and they could have had it in good shape. Got a feeling they didn't want me to get that sd card and see what they were up to. 5 other cams were unmolested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is why if I ever get land I will be littering the border of it with signs made saying that the property has cellular trail cams deployed. 

I've tried the cheap cams and they work fine, although I set one up in my backyard one summer and although it took pics all year I had a "feeling" that it was failing to trigger quite a bit. I couldn't verify it with additional cameras on the same spot.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

These are from a  $28 Tasco Walmart cam.

Just picked up four of those a week or so ago. Haven't done a card pull yet except for testing ne in the back yard with me walking up to it. The detection range and angle seemed good. The test pics looked good but deer should look better than my mug walking into the pic.

Rob, I bought them based on these pics you posted in another thread.

• Like 2

A few years ago, I picked up two Wildgame cameras that work just fine, when they work. They are the blackout ones Dick's always has on sale for 50% off. I think they were $39. My others are all Moultries and they work great, but much more expensive.

I'm going to run to TS and check out the Simmons 4 pack today as well as the  Tasco at WM. 

I need to add about 10 to our new property this year to mostly track people.

• Like 1

I am sure a lot of white flash and IR cams can be had cheap that do the job.  The question is really whether you think non-glowing blackflash is better and worth a bit more.  Not too much that is cheap in that category.  Going today to replace the current cam and try the amazon one on my plot.

• Like 1

I've been using the Wildgame Innovations cams for a few years now. I don't recall the models at the moment but they're the ones that are always on sale at Dicks. I can usually find the cam by itself for about $40, or packaged with batteries and a memory card for $50. Pic quality is good enough to see what I have moving around on the property. They take 8 AA's which seem to last about a year. The only concern I have is that the trigger speed (.75 - 1 sec.) seems to miss some movement. Aside from that, they are perfect for what I need them for.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input everyone!  This gives me some options to look into, if work ever slows down.  I am interested in the Tasco cams for some spots where I am worried about theft.  I love my Browning cam, but can't afford a whole fleet of them.  I have run WIldgame for years, but they have let me down at times.  Can't complain.  I feel like I got my money's worth.  I have one older Stealth cam that has been reliable, but it's a PITA to program.  I have a couple Bushnell Trophy cams that have been great so far. $75ish on Amazon.  

I think I will try a couple new brands.  I think I will also place some cams up high.  The Hunting Public guys do this on public land, using one climbing stick to get them up out of view.  Looking forward to getting cams out, moving stands, trimming lanes, but work keeps getting in the way.  I keep telling myself that the $$ will be useful when I take 5 weeks off to hunt!  

Thanks again for the replies.  Happy scouting!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, stubborn1VT said:

I think I will try a couple new brands.  I think I will also place some cams up high.  The Hunting Public guys do this on public land, using one climbing stick to get them up out of view. 

Yeah, I'm actually sure this will make them far more visible though I have also heard of this trick, albeit harder to steal for an opportunistic person walking around who now has to figure out how to get up high on the tree. I think in general if you can have it a few feet up, in a hollow of a tree near fallen logs, etc. it's not too hard to hide them.

My belief further is that if you're on public land with a lot of people you won't have a lot of deer, so the only public land worth hunting has few enough people that odds are fairly good there won't be many people in the vicinity of your cam, so odds of theft are not terribly high of theft (most people seeing a cam won't take it, remember).

Edited by Core

I have one of the cheap Chinese knockoff cams, while it is cheap and has some features generally reserved for high end cameras, mine doesn't take very good pictures. It'll work, you can see what is in front of the camera but it is a bit grainy. The one I have is a "Victure" brand from Amazon. I don't think I'll be buying any more cameras that are non cellular now though, for $120 I can get instant pictures without ever touching the woods is incredible and should help a lot this fall to know what is going on.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk