The Jerkman

LIVE From The Woods 2020 - Let's hear stories and see some pictures!

Beautiful morning, but it’s dead out there! I haven’t even seen a squirrel! Heard some duck hunters blasting away at daylight about a mile away, but that’s all the shooting I’ve heard so far...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice." - Wease

7 minutes ago, Cabin Fever said:

Beautiful morning, but it’s dead out there! I haven’t even seen a squirrel! Heard some duck hunters blasting away at daylight about a mile away, but that’s all the shooting I’ve heard so far...

All the bucks were killed yesterday. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Please support the hunting of Mourning Dove In New York State.  For information, visit nydovehunting.weebly.com/

Made the switch from a stand to the ground. The SW wind was a bit killer coming across an open corn field. Good view back where I am....hope to catch one sneaking through.a1206490aefc5e9b6a20c4e4ae9c74e7.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Robhuntandfish said:

Add in @Bowshotmuzzleloader

Congrats!  Epic day

10 in one day has to be a close second on the forum?

• Like 1

'08 Bowtech Commander

GoldTip Hunter Expedition's w/ Rage 2 Blades

Remington 700 .308

Mossberg 500 Pump

Might end up being 11 waiting with fingers crossed for Justlucky 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Might end up being 11 waiting with fingers crossed for Justlucky 

What if it died after midnight? I have never done it, but what day would you guys put on your tag if you found it dead the next day ?  There are so many coyotes in my area, that I would never consider waiting until the next morning.  That's what flashlights and lanterns are for.

• Like 2

What if it died after midnight? I have never done it, but what day would you guys put on your tag if you found it dead the next day ?  There are so many coyotes in my area, that I would never consider waiting until the next morning.  That's what flashlights and lanterns are for.

One step further, what if it’s bow shot on the last day of bow and then finished the next day.

Pulling for you guys out there today who are battling that full moon on top of everything else.

Frustration. Not sure what went wrong but had a very nice ten point chasing two doe down the hill towards me. They stopped at forty yards and I somehow managed to miss. Five minutes after I shot two shots from the direction that he ran off in. Hopefully my bad luck turned out to be someone else’s good luck. Very frustrating though. 

• Like 1

I'm surrounded by what must be a thousand crows right now. They're in the trees, on the ground, flying all over. Not gonna be a deer within a mile of here with this racket! Its ridiculous!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Wolc perhaps he died after midnight perhaps he died before midnight we will never know I hope just lucky gets em either way.   
I have searched for wounded/dead deer at night and found some and lost some I have also waited overnight and found some and did not find some  I guess I’m just lucky to because in all of my cases where I waited and recovered the deer the coyotes had not got to it yet   Typically you’re talking about 14 to say 17 hours or so window is short The other thing was he did not want to push the deer to the neighbors so guessing it might’ve been close to a property line   I’ve always kind of found these our case by case scenarios you never know until you encounter it and sometimes it’s good to push and sometimes it’s good to wait we will have to see if he is just lucky

3 minutes ago, Lomax said:

Wolc perhaps he died after midnight perhaps he died before midnight we will never know I hope just lucky gets em either way.   
I have searched for wounded/dead deer at night and found some and lost some I have also waited overnight and found some and did not find some  I guess I’m just lucky to because in all of my cases where I waited and recovered the deer the coyotes had not got to it yet   Typically you’re talking about 14 to say 17 hours or so window is short The other thing was he did not want to push the deer to the neighbors so guessing it might’ve been close to a property line   I’ve always kind of found these our case by case scenarios you never know until you encounter it and sometimes it’s good to push and sometimes it’s good to wait we will have to see if he is just lucky

I will pray that he finds it.  It sounds kind of like a high back hit, since the deer went down at the shot, then got up a few minutes later and ran off.  

A few years ago, a buddy had that happen at my place.  I heard a shot, then he texted me that he had one down.  I sure wish he had used his trigger finger on something other than his cell phone.  That deer got up and ran away.

It bled good for a while, then petered out, and we never found it.  We looked for it for a few hours that day, and I went out again at night with "blood glow".  I used my whole supply of that, advancing the trail a couple hundred yards, but it was getting very sparse near the end.

Now I just try to keep on good terms with The Man upstairs, for help in recovering deer.  They all end up exactly where He wants them to go. If that turns out to be "deer heaven" (my family's food supply), I know that I am doing ok. We have been eating good for many years.

• Like 2

Wolc I saw that Leuopold came out with a monocular scope that can pick up heat signatures very sensitive I guess and can do it over long distances I saw some TV hunters use it and it looked like it worked pretty well but it’s 400 bucks perhaps it could lead to quicker recovery?
but following a blood trail is a lot cheaper as is calling a dog tracking service but I guess once they get over on the neighbors and neighbors who won’t let you recover deer none of this matters.  

2 bald eagles just flew over my tree. Now that was worth getting up early to see.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, chrisw said:

New gun to test out.IMG_20201129_073913802.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Sharp! Does Cuomo know your using a "scary" gun!!?

More on the gun, Cal? Make.....

• Haha 2

Haha. I built it this summer, 6.8SPC, I did the camo paint, a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 scope, Rise armament trigger.

Just now, chrisw said:

Haha. I built it this summer, 6.8SPC, I did the camo paint, a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8 scope, Rise armament trigger.

Nice I hope you get to test it out on a deer!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lomax said:

Wolc I saw that Leuopold came out with a monocular scope that can pick up heat signatures very sensitive I guess and can do it over long distances I saw some TV hunters use it and it looked like it worked pretty well but it’s 400 bucks perhaps it could lead to quicker recovery?
but following a blood trail is a lot cheaper as is calling a dog tracking service but I guess once they get over on the neighbors and neighbors who won’t let you recover deer none of this matters.  

I have the seek version , instead of a monocular its handheld like a cell phone . I researched handheld thermal cameras for a couple months before deciding on which one to get. Leupold has two versions ,standard and HD. I havent used it for a deer retrieval yet , i have used it to look for deer in the field once it gets dark .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chrisw said:

great looking gun. Same scope on my 7mm08.  good luck out there

• Like 1

Sounds pretty cool JeremyK I am sure you’re gonna get to use it soon to recover your deer.  Please let me know how it goes it looked pretty straight forward on TV perhaps cost will come down in time but it’s pretty cool technology and seemed to work well in thick stuff fields hillsides etc

Getting gear ready for retro day... early 60s Sears 16GA armed with Sluggers. Shoots consistently six inches right at 25 yards so will apply Kentucky Windage should I get the chance.

retro.thumb.jpg.d5bd1adc4d8968cd3b47c4bc51e607a6.jpg

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Unit8R said:

Getting gear ready for retro day... early 60s Sears 16GA armed with Sluggers. Shoots consistently six inches right at 25 yards so will apply Kentucky Windage should I get the chance.

retro.thumb.jpg.d5bd1adc4d8968cd3b47c4bc51e607a6.jpg

That looks like a good idea. I am going to pull out the old Woolrch Buffalo plaids, that my wife got me at an antique shop, for the afternoon hunt.  The pants fit ok, but the jacket was too tight.  I cut off the sleeves and made a vest out of it.  It looks like it is going to be plenty warm enough for that this afternoon.

I am going to grab some lunch, power wash my 6-point from opening day into a euro, then head out looking like Elmer Fudd, for the evening sit.  The only thing that won't match is my blaze-orange hat for the walk, or my Realtree-camo one while I am in the stand.  Hopefully that waskally doe or button buck shows up.  I would settle for Wiley coyote.

No sightings at all between 3 hunters, things continue to be slow here in the north. Heading out to my private land here shortly for an afternoon watch. Good luck everyone.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lomax said:

Sounds pretty cool JeremyK I am sure you’re gonna get to use it soon to recover your deer.  Please let me know how it goes it looked pretty straight forward on TV perhaps cost will come down in time but it’s pretty cool technology and seemed to work well in thick stuff fields hillsides etc

I pray i never have to use it LOL

Nothing again.  Sat until 10 still hunted my way back to the truck.  All I came across was a gut pile.  Thought I had one running at me. Turned out to be 2 red squirrels chasing a grey.  At one point I had them lined up and thought what the hell atleast I can say I shot at something. Lol

That's it for me until the last weekend of gun and ml weekend as long as work doesn't have me there those weekends.

Congrats to all the deer taken the last couple days 

Edited by Swamp_bucks